F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Finally got round to fitting the winter wheels.  Took me two hours by the time I got all the kit out and put it away including time trying to get my buzz gun to work. Gave up and just used a breaker bar.

I was worried about removing the 351s from the hubs but I had greased to hub spigot with a thin smear of copperslip and each rim came away perfectly from the hub, the near side rear put up a bit of resistance but I just heaved and it came away. It was removing the winters early this year was a problem as I forgot to grease the first winter wheel I did this time last year.

Each hub was treated to a quick once over with a wire brush on my drill and a light copper slip put on with a small paint brush. 

Bolts torqued to 140Nm and tyres stacked in the garage to await a wash before their winter hibernation.

The winters had lost about 3psi since storing in April or March this year.

Smack the inside tyre with a rubber mallet whilst rotating the wheel. Don't piss the General off with a bad back.

23 minutes ago, jake13 said:

Smack the inside tyre with a rubber mallet whilst rotating the wheel. Don't piss the General off with a bad back.

Lol been there done that, but with this being a nanny state F10, you can't spin the rears as you can't shift out of park unless engine is running or you lift both rears and spin thru the diff with handbrake off.

I just used the bear hug technique for removing the one rear wheel that was slightly stubborn.

But because I cleaned the hub and greased it, it really was no bother.

18 hours ago, Caesar said:

It's good to hear that you liked her heated steering wheel. I don't have it and feel like a whimp for wishing I did! There, I've said it now. 

I miss the heated steering wheel and the pre heater which you could set to auto to warm the car on these cold mornings in my Discovery 4

7 hours ago, Phill20d said:

I miss the heated steering wheel and the pre heater which you could set to auto to warm the car on these cold mornings in my Discovery 4

So they worked then?  On a Landrover?  :D

7 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

So they worked then?  On a Landrover?  :D

Yes they did, but the older they got the guarantee that they would work diminished.

Not today but when I changed over on to my winters I discovered that my car has an anti tilt device when I started jacking it up before I had unlocked it.

The alarm made the neighbours stop and stare!

9 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Is that to help identify rear air suspension failure... ;)

I was going to say yes, then I scrolled down another post and read

9 hours ago, sshooie said:

Doubt it, it would be classed as nuisance alarms.

Lol!

I was jacking  up the front which wouldn't be dissimilar to the rear dropping right enough.

:D

Today... I've just collected my new headlamp washer levers, caps and the two feed hoses from the local stealer... was fun ordering last week with their English and my (very bad) German, but the right parts are now in my trunk. Just need a dry day to fit them. Of course I'm now left with the levers and caps for an M front bumper that I mistakenly ordered....

Once that's done and the headlamp washer system is working again, the next project will be the PPS. From my investigation, the front sensor strip was just cut, so with luck it's only that to be replaced.... fingers crossed.

Decided this morning that although frosty, the car was still having it's weekly wash. The plan was to then fit the winters but i was knackered and it was only 9am!! 

1 hour ago, sanjx said:

Decided this morning that although frosty, the car was still having it's weekly wash. The plan was to then fit the winters but i was knackered and it was only 9am!! 

I had exactly the same plan. I did a bit of gardening and it was so cold, I bottled out of car washing. I then thought about the frosty week ahead, and the fact that it would get plastered in salt again. That made me feel less guilty! 

1 hour ago, Caesar said:

I had exactly the same plan. I did a bit of gardening and it was so cold, I bottled out of car washing. I then thought about the frosty week ahead, and the fact that it would get plastered in salt again. That made me feel less guilty! 

Its the week aheads salt that makes me wash it, I can't be dealing with having to almost soak the salt off. Rather a light wash weekly and it takes less time. Also dirty wheel barrels really get on my nerve so by doing it often, I can keep on top of them otherwise it's wheel off to clean the barrel. 

Firstly because it has been so wet and then so cold I couldn't open the drivers door so had to thaw out the seal with a hair dryer that lives in my tool kit for just that very job.

There was quite bad ice on the roads near me this morning, I felt the rears break traction a good few times without intervention of the traction control. Its really noticeable how much more relaxed it is in intervening compared to the E60 which would have cut in much sooner.

After lugging a load back from IKEA, mine got a feed of a full tank of fuel.

I then decided to wash the fronts, 351s I took off last weekend when I fitted the winters.

image.jpg

One of the fronts before a pressure wash.

image.jpg

Bilt Hamber alloy wheel doing its thing.

image.jpg

Bilt Hamber done its thing followed by another pressure wash.

image.jpg

Came up o.k. These were powdered coated before going back on the car in the spring this year. There were still some patches of the Poor boys alloy wheel wax I hadn't fully buffed off.

The genuine fake centre roundels have not faired well despite only going on the wheels in the spring.

Am I surprised?

No!

While I was letting the Bilt Hamber work I power washed the car and snow foamed it.

image.jpg

Still got the two rears to clean, but I'm going to ditch the cheap nast Nexen tyres currently shod on the rims before they come back out in spring. The fronts are drying in my garage so they can go to the bottom of the tyre pile so I can get the rears replaced in late winter.