F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

We have the same issue when we design Station car parks. The design standard* calls for 4.8 x 2.4 m bays, you can get more in, but we used to draw them up at 5 x 2.5 m bays.....if the client didn't look too closely, we got away with it and they had fewer complaints of doors being dinged.

*again based on a car from the 1960-1970s.

You build bigger garages you then have a smaller house or less garden on a given plot size, neither of which sell houses to the masses. Sadly as Matthew is a rare exception who actually garages his car, most garages contain lawnmowers and  such other rubbish that you haven't thrown out yet rather than need to be actually big enough to put a car that isn't a Little Tikes Cozy Coupe. Folk would rather have a bigger living room than a garage big enough for a F11!

Likewise as nobody wants to/can't keep a car in a garage and wants the extra space inside the house.

My garage was rebuilt in 1998 but the previous owner built a work bench at the rear of one half so I have loads of tool storage space but its not long enough to get my E39 in when we moved in and I've never tried to get a car in since.

9 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Congratulations! A nice find. 

It did take a dozen house viewings to find 2 homes that could actually fit it (and have some space for my other garage kit)...

I suppose it does beg the question how much bigger can cars get now. A good majority are already very large now and have enough difficulty down some of the UK's roads. You say the G30/31 is even larger than the F10/F11. One thing that always surprised me was the difference between the F01/F06 and I suppose the F07 was actually very little.

This is what happened to mine! turned it into a cinema room 

22 hours ago, sshooie said:

I reckon 10-30% of integral garages where I live have been converted to an extra room.

1 hour ago, Ninja59 said:

It did take a dozen house viewings to find 2 homes that could actually fit it (and have some space for my other garage kit)...

Lol, when we moved 11 years ago, my requirement was for a double garage and a similar width level driveway. I wasn't really bothered about the house, (the wife was in charge there) other than it having a decent loft I could floor to put my trainset in.;)

The grand sum of my efforts for the past week is cleaning and treating my steering wheel with autoglym. Though I did pop it back into the dealer I bought it from to have the front break pads sorted (at their cost).

My main excuse is the 2500 business miles I’ve done this month though it does mean I’m finally getting a proper chance to stretch it’s legs but it’s now horrendously dirty and we’ve got a wedding tomorrow.

Finally fixed the faulty angel eye side light by fitting a new module at the hefty cost of £227 for the part (I fitted it). 

Cleaned and then conditioned the two front seats with Gliptone. 

On 02/11/2017 at 12:00 PM, E39mad said:

Cleaned and then conditioned the two front seats with Gliptone. 

Any pics of the cleaned leather? I need to do mine and I've heard/read good things re Gliptone.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Any pics of the cleaned leather? I need to do mine and I've heard/read good things re Gliptone.

Here you go - for 7 years old it looks almost as new:

P1010829.JPG

P1010833.JPG

9 minutes ago, E39mad said:

Here you go - for 7 years old it looks almost as new:

P1010829.JPG

P1010833.JPG

Is that the Dakota leather. It’s looks in great shape for the age. 

Top marks for the cleaning have come up a treat. 

Just now, Steveo1 said:

Is that the Dakota leather. It’s looks in great shape for the age. 

Top marks for the cleaning have come up a treat. 

It is cleaned and nourished at least 3 times a year.

Not sure if Comfort seats have Dakota or Nappa leather