F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

10 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Thanks sshooie and Matthew.

I take it that the USB port is the one in the cubbie hole in the rear of the centre consol?

So the car reads the USB and realises there is something it recognises as a map update, clever.B)

On our CIC based cars, yes, the USB in the glovebox. On later NBT cars, the USB in the centre armrest as the glovebox USB was discontinued and all functionality consolidated to the Armrest.

And yes, the car will tell you it has found a later version of the map data and will ask you for an FSC code before continuing.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

Tested out the abs on the car today at 70 mph, pretty scary. Merc in front on the motorway slammed the anchors on proper hard and then steered towards the artic in the left lane he was overtaking. I got a real fright thinking he was heading for the leading trailers wheel. 

What I didn't see initially was a black builders bucket coming under the armco barrier from the other carriageway. Merc had to steer towards the artic to avoid it. Thankfully no one was on the left hand lane next to me so I could swerve around it whilst still braking as the Merc was still slowing.

Didnt help that the Merc filled the safe gap in front of me as he decided at the last minute to overtake the truck, I was falling back to maintain a safe distance when the Merc was taking his evasive action.

Just goes to show importance of being alert, maintain good safe distance and having good tyres that allowed me to kill speed quick and serve around the obstacle.

Phew!

5 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Tested out the abs on the car today at 70 mph, pretty scary. Merc in front on the motorway slammed the anchors on proper hard and then steered towards the artic in the left lane he was overtaking. I got a real fright thinking he was heading for the leading trailers wheel. 

What I didn't see initially was a black builders bucket coming under the armco barrier from the other carriageway. Merc had to steer towards the artic to avoid it. Thankfully no one was on the left hand lane next to me so I could swerve around it whilst still braking as the Merc was still slowing.

Didnt help that the Merc filled the safe gap in front of me as he decided at the last minute to overtake the truck, I was falling back to maintain a safe distance when the Merc was taking his evasive action.

Just goes to show importance of being alert, maintain good safe distance and having good tyres that allowed me to kill speed quick and serve around the obstacle.

Phew!

Experienced something similar last night

A C class two cars ahead of me made an unexpected sudden brake, leading to the Sabb convertible behind it rear-ending the C. Fortunately the brakes on the F10 are brilliant and brought me to a swift stop. The Saab then proceeded by promptly accelerating away, without a care for the victim, and almost hitting me in the process. Who can you trust these days?

29 minutes ago, F10530D said:

Experienced something similar last night

Who can you trust these days?

The brakes, the chassis and tyres of my F10, is who I put my trust in today as it allowed me to safely avoid hitting anything. I was surprised how nimbly the massive bulk of the F10 reacted in an emergency manoeuvre, very deftly and reassuring.

13 hours ago, Big A said:

Took my car to get headlights upgraded and found out timing chain was making a noise and about to give up, so left car for recovery to BMW in the morning :(

Yet another N47 timing chain failure! This is the trend it seems and in the future there will be fewer and fewer original N47 F10/F11's on the road.

53 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Yet another N47 timing chain failure! This is the trend it seems and in the future there will be fewer and fewer original N47 F10/F11's on the road.

Sadly as the first generation of N47 fitted F10/11s get to the age they are now, 6-7 years old with corresponding mileage, they are right on the button for this fault to manifest itself and as you point out Matthew, will become more common.

But as said in recent different thread, the failures are few for the number of cars on the road, it's just a shame that the failure is so costly to rectify and unlikely to happen when the car is under a warranty.

7 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

What was the headlight upgrade?

Sorry to hear re chains, is it under a warranty?

I was getting LED headlight upgrade as the standard halogen on the F11 are pitiful and actually quite dangerous. Was travelling back and forward to Clydebank everyday for 7 weeks while the wife was in hospital and coming home in the dark was a nightmare, especially if it was wet.

Unfortunately it’s not, however it does have a full BMW dealer history and been serviced on time with their schedule so hoping for maybe a goodwill gesture. It’s away to the dealer just now who say that it’s history is a good plus point, however it’s age and mileage and fact it wasn’t bought from a BMW dealer might go against it, but I’m ready to challenge them it it does.

4 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Sadly as the first generation of N47 fitted F10/11s get to the age they are now, 6-7 years old with corresponding mileage, they are right on the button for this fault to manifest itself and as you point out Matthew, will become more common.

But as said in recent different thread, the failures are few for the number of cars on the road, it's just a shame that the failure is so costly to rectify and unlikely to happen when the car is under a warranty.

Like you say, mine it about to hit 7 year old soon and has done 135k, but other than it having the options I wanted it had a full BMWSH which was a big plus point for travelling 250 miles to get it. At the moment if I have to look at paying for everything myself I’m looking at a bill of £1300 +.

Edited by Big A

I’m not sure how often it was done before I bought it as all the service stuff is in the car, but it had oil and filter change the day I bought it a year past last Saturday, which was done in front of me and again it had a major service in May so I was going to have another oil change next month to try and do it every 6 months myself.

Fired the F10 up for the first time in 10 days. I would be lieing if I said I didn't expect any issues but no, nothing. No unstable revs or stuck brakes. Let it settle for a few mins just to get fluids going and then business as usual. Might have been helped by having been in the garage all the while and not in the wind/rain. 

3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

@Big A, you are near me, which Dealer are you sending it too?  There are two in Glasgow, one being far better than t'other!

There is or used to be a very good BMW indy in Clydebank

It’s at your favourite dealer :D Hoping it will get some goodwill from BMW too.

It was actually at the independent in Clydebank who discovered the noise.

Drove a 98 mile return journey to Thorpe Park theme park near Staines tonight to fetch darling daughter and friend who’d spent the day at the Fright Night event. On the way there and after turning off the M25, I started hearing this odd clunking noise from what I thought was the front right suspension. Darn I thought, my run of faultless driving had come to an end! But after a couple of miles of over analysing the noise and irritating my wife I realised I’d taken my glasses out of the driver’s lower dash cubby and forgot to close the lid. That little bugger does make a noise over bumpy roads when left open! Felt stupid for about 7 seconds but normal service soon resumed and I’m just glad my faultless mechanical track record continues. 

13 hours ago, Big A said:

It’s at your favourite dealer :D Hoping it will get returned to me 

There, I've corrected your post for you.

1 hour ago, sshooie said:

Lol don't know if it's an age thing but I often get the location of noises completely wrong. 

But it's actually quite difficult to tell where noises come from in the car as the way sound travels around the inside of the cabin. Engine bay noises can be quite tricky to pinpoint unless obvious. Wheel bearings is another one that can be tricky to determine which one is playing up.

10 hours ago, sshooie said:

Phew, not just me then...

Lol, no, but I could get in your car and hear a noise that isn't right and vice versa, esp if it's a daily driver. You get used to the noises and don't realise something is wrong. When my E60 wheel bearing had failed I didn't hear the gradual increase in noise until local Indy pointed it out. I replaced it and the silence was deafening. I hadn't noticed the gradualness of the grumbly bearing getting worse.

Edited by 535i Andrew

On 26/10/2017 at 6:48 PM, sanjx said:

Fired the F10 up for the first time in 10 days. I would be lieing if I said I didn't expect any issues but no, nothing. No unstable revs or stuck brakes. Let it settle for a few mins just to get fluids going and then business as usual. Might have been helped by having been in the garage all the while and not in the wind/rain. 

Are you still on your original injectors, what age and model do you have?  10 days shows there is nothing wrong with them anyway!

13 hours ago, bmwmike said:

Are you still on your original injectors, what age and model do you have?  10 days shows there is nothing wrong with them anyway!

I think they are still original. Mines a 09/2010 523i. I did have one new coil pack about a year ago but touch wood, nothing since. It does see alot of motorway miles though. Before these 10 days, it also had another week sitting so in the last 28 days, it's only been used for about 6! Makes a change to being on the road all the time but normal service resumes next week. I do use premium unleaded though, be it tesco momentum, sainsburys premium or shell v-power (although a tank full of v-power is probably now worth the same as the car!)

Wife's 60plate 118d is nearing 90k... Ive done extra changes since 16k when we bought it but still concerned about the timing chain. 

Anyway she has a new Pioneer Dab/BT headunit, massive improvement over stock Business cd radio. 

Meanwhile the F10 has finally got its full black grills on and both cars treated to a decent valet as I'm totally knackered!

Ive got a Focal upgrade for the front mids and tweets on its way for the F10.  Hoping to improve the existing HK setup. Possibly upgrading underfloor woofers and separate amp for them...  

Yesterday, booked it in for a full set of CrossClimate+ on my nice new 236s. I'll be offloading my tatty police 236s but keeping the best as my spare to replace my E61 space saver. Might refurb them over here first... got a nice price in Frankfurt.

Moved it this morning... then came back inside, coat off, shoes off, halfway through a cuppa when I realised I'd forgotten to change the clock !

(Clocks went back here in Germany last night)

Edited by HandyAndy_UK