Jump to content
F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, sshooie said:

Phew, not just me then...

 

Lol, no, but I could get in your car and hear a noise that isn't right and vice versa, esp if it's a daily driver. You get used to the noises and don't realise something is wrong. When my E60 wheel bearing had failed I didn't hear the gradual increase in noise until local Indy pointed it out. I replaced it and the silence was deafening. I hadn't noticed the gradualness of the grumbly bearing getting worse.

Edited by 535i Andrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/10/2017 at 6:48 PM, sanjx said:

Fired the F10 up for the first time in 10 days. I would be lieing if I said I didn't expect any issues but no, nothing. No unstable revs or stuck brakes. Let it settle for a few mins just to get fluids going and then business as usual. Might have been helped by having been in the garage all the while and not in the wind/rain. 

Are you still on your original injectors, what age and model do you have?  10 days shows there is nothing wrong with them anyway!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bmwmike said:

Are you still on your original injectors, what age and model do you have?  10 days shows there is nothing wrong with them anyway!

I think they are still original. Mines a 09/2010 523i. I did have one new coil pack about a year ago but touch wood, nothing since. It does see alot of motorway miles though. Before these 10 days, it also had another week sitting so in the last 28 days, it's only been used for about 6! Makes a change to being on the road all the time but normal service resumes next week. I do use premium unleaded though, be it tesco momentum, sainsburys premium or shell v-power (although a tank full of v-power is probably now worth the same as the car!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wife's 60plate 118d is nearing 90k... Ive done extra changes since 16k when we bought it but still concerned about the timing chain. 

 

Anyway she has a new Pioneer Dab/BT headunit, massive improvement over stock Business cd radio. 

 

Meanwhile the F10 has finally got its full black grills on and both cars treated to a decent valet as I'm totally knackered!

 

Ive got a Focal upgrade for the front mids and tweets on its way for the F10.  Hoping to improve the existing HK setup. Possibly upgrading underfloor woofers and separate amp for them...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday, booked it in for a full set of CrossClimate+ on my nice new 236s. I'll be offloading my tatty police 236s but keeping the best as my spare to replace my E61 space saver. Might refurb them over here first... got a nice price in Frankfurt.

 

Moved it this morning... then came back inside, coat off, shoes off, halfway through a cuppa when I realised I'd forgotten to change the clock !

(Clocks went back here in Germany last night)

Edited by HandyAndy_UK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pulling onto the motorway slip road (long slip road) there was a 65 plate F10 series a way behind me so I pressed the sport button gave it the beans, the F10 series followed suit passed me like I was accelerating in 7th.

 

Any guesses which 5 it was...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sshooie said:

Pulling onto the motorway slip road (long slip road) there was a 65 plate F10 series a way behind me so I pressed the sport button gave it the beans, the F10 series followed suit passed me like I was accelerating in 7th.

 

Any guesses which 5 it was...?

 

Alpina D5? :-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably when you first spotted him/her, they were already powering in say 4th and closing in on you, fast, by the time you react and your car then gathers itself up, drops a few cogs and goes, you are dust. 

 

There isn't a lot you can do, just don't rise to it and keep the points off your license.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I instigated it to be fair, and I'd also say he was keeping distance until I floored it, he was behind me for 1/4 mile up to reaching the slip road with c5 cars lengths so doing nothing to suggest he would entertain my 'blip'

 

Bottom spanked in any case.

 

No points in over 10 years fingers crossed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tbh I thought there was a fair difference between a 535d and 530d is that not the case?

 

BTW handy tip if anyone's brakes are noisy / creaky when coming to a dead stop - you are not using them hard enough. Had a good blast up the brecon beacon yesterday; some great roads. Lots of hard braking and they are lovely and quiet today. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a 530d and now a 535d and I can tell you there is a big difference.  0-60 in 5.7sec in my 2 tonne GT.  245bhp verses 313bhp and a great noise.

 

It will comfortably beat a 535i GT, and 30mpg all day long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sshooie said:

I wish, a 535d salon, I genuinely thought the difference would be much much less but he passed me with ease.

 

We do have a 50-54bhp bhp advantage....and a little more torque. Saying that I am carrying a little more weight in a 640 version. 

 

Caught off guard though from motorway roadworks mind off the turbos pretty much then it can feel sluggish still, I tend to deliberately flappy paddle mine down a few gears to get it ready. But even in kickdown it does leave many falling over themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have mine as 6.4 - 60, with the 535 salon as 5.3, not a massive difference on paper and I appreciate the difference in torque and it was a rolling start (c30mph) but I didn't expect to see such a gap appear so quickly.

 

Ah well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit bored of my 245HP 530d after 2 years of ownership - think the time has come for a 535d. Or a 335d xDrive - they certainly do not hang about!

 
Ruling out a 640d as whilst lovely cars, they're unsuited to UK roads IMO. 
 
Or I could keep the 530d and consequently keep hold of my license a bit longer too!
 
Decisions, decisions...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get bored, but I keep driving this and thinking how good an all rounder it is, it ticks every box for me (nearly) and I'd only change for want, not need and I know I'd regret not going F11 again.

 

I've done c50k in this over 2 years too and loved it, so smooth, comfy, eats the miles and has a real understated presence I like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, F10530D said:

Bit bored of my 245HP 530d after 2 years of ownership - think the time has come for a 535d. Or a 335d xDrive - they certainly do not hang about!

 
Ruling out a 640d as whilst lovely cars, they're unsuited to UK roads IMO. 
 
Or I could keep the 530d and consequently keep hold of my license a bit longer too!
 
Decisions, decisions...

 

In regards to the 640 it is not that much bigger than a 5 series really, it is perception more I think. The real downside is the standard UK car parking space being a bit short for the 6. Most of the time mine is in a large car parking space or a drive though so it is fine. They still have the same issues with multi story car parks for example. 

 

The C pillar can cause the odd issue when changing lanes as well in my experience.

 

As we are just about to buy our first house though a major issue was garage length...similar to the issue like car parking spaces. Many estate agents said a large garage and it was just about 5 metres, unfortunately not quite long enough for my baby.

Edited by Ninja59

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Ninja59 said:

 

In regards to the 640 it is not that much bigger than a 5 series really, it is perception more I think. The real downside is the standard UK car parking space being a bit short for the 6. Most of the time mine is in a large car parking space or a drive though so it is fine. They still have the same issues with multi story car parks for example. 

 

The C pillar can cause the odd issue when changing lanes as well in my experience.

 

As we are just about to buy our first house though a major issue was garage length...similar to the issue like car parking spaces. Many estate agents said a large garage and it was just about 5 metres, unfortunately not quite long enough for my baby.

 

I just manage to squeeze the F11 into our "single" garage - House builders' definition and my definition of "single" differ vastly. A single garage, in my humble opinion is 3m x 6m. Not the 5m x 2.4m they generally build here. I park mine with just 75mm of space between the back of the car and the lock mechanism on my garage door. A G31 is longer still and the GT would be a no way!. So screwed really for my next car (unless I build a house to my exacting specification) and I do have a problem leaving the big expensive car on the driveway. I'll just keep the F11 and hope it goes on for ever as I can't afford to build a house and where do you find the land anyway?

 

Oh, I think i started ranting and didn't even notice!

Edited by Matthew Ashton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matthew Ashton said:

 

I just manage to squeeze the F11 into our "single" garage - House builders' definition and my definition of "single" differ vastly. A single garage, in my humble opinion is 3m x 6m. Not the 5m x 2.4m they generally build here. I park mine with just 75mm of space between the back of the car and the lock mechanism on my garage door. A G31 is longer still and the GT would be a no way!. So screwed really for my next car (unless I build a house to my exacting specification) and I do have a problem leaving the big expensive car on the driveway. I'll just keep the F11 and hope it goes on for ever as I can't afford to build a house and where do you find the land anyway?

 

Oh, I think i started ranting and didn't even notice!

 

Builders certainly do have a different opinion on what a garage is. Mine is "double" and is bang on 5mx5.01m (5x5 is minimum to call it a double I believe?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Re garages, the definition of size was based on cars we drove in the 1960's and 1970's. All you need to do is compare a Ford Cortina in size to today's Mondeo and you will see what I mean.

 

 

But my house was built in ‘81! So what’s the excuse now, hey?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×