F10530D

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

1,549 posts in this topic

Bu&&er, they have changed it then since I enquired over 9 years ago right enough.  Feel your pain, but £280 for a battery is steep even including fitting and coding.

We will need to agree to disagree on Dealers, at least the one in Giffnock, you know, gives me my car back at the end of the day.

Well I got mine back!

e5c8f8379920c059a8b8467f2bf69ca2.jpg

2 hours ago, Lennox said:

Well I got mine back!

Which parts did you swap over from the courtesy car to yours? See you missed the LCI tail lights :rolleyes:

Lennox likes this

Which parts did you swap over from the courtesy car to yours? See you missed the LCI tail lights :rolleyes:

How dare you sir! Please do not cast asparagus on my cooking!

Floor mats, seats, interior trim and steering wheels are not transferable, honest.

Amazing how much wear a 66 plate BMW gets....., 😎

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

Matthew Ashton likes this

1 hour ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Which parts did you swap over from the courtesy car to yours? 

He's going to do an engine swap so as to save a few quid now he's got an Ovlov to pay for!

Not so much what I have done in my F07/F10/F11 today, but what I have done over the past 3 days. Ever since I bought myself a Mini Cooper S my missus, who has only ever wanted to drive the bigger posher cars, has wanted me to drive the 525d. On Tuesday morning she announced it was her turn to have the Mini this week - I could hardly refuse as I have a 100 daily commute and, though the Mini is a riot, the BMW is in its comfort zone (as I have been). I decided I was going to see just how much I could eek out of a tank of diesel and experiment with the Ecopro mode. 

When I filled up the car, it was showing 36.5 mpg on the trip computer (it only does small trips to my kids schools act during the week). After 290 miles on my commute  I have managed to improve the mpg to 46.6 mpg. I must admit I have been driving incredibly efficiently (compared to how I normally drive), which I am sure has helped, but it is incredible the difference a change in driving style will make along with using Ecopro. Also, on my screen it is suggesting that I have increased my mileage by 33.2 miles over the three days. I am going to attempt too achieve 50mpg....

Okay I'll get my coat....

22 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Let the wife drive it! :blink:

No ill effects from that, other than the seat is not quite back in its correct position for me. I miss the memory seats from my E60:(

He's going to do an engine swap so as to save a few quid now he's got an Ovlov to pay for!

Oh the Swedish beauty is highly affordable, the house makeover ain't!?! 😭

Sent from my EDI-AL10 using Tapatalk

Drove to Heathrow which is where I'm currently sat with a beer pondering whether my next car should be a e39 m5, an f10 m5, or something entirely different and non BMW. It occurs to me that there is not much love / written info about n53 powered F10's so whilst I await a flight I will type some words. 

Average speed 65.2mph and 32.something to the MPG's. That includes being sat crawling in traffic through Newport for 30 minutes. I think that's pretty good. Of course, you can't see how many RPM's or MPH's I was using through the 2hr trip to T3 parking because I'm not going to print that here. I was having FUN though. The n53 powers the car from xx to yyy with minimal fuss and sounding very nice and never a problem overtaking. When its just me in the car im never left thinking i need more power. I think the light revvy lump compliments the the f10 rather well. Sure a lazy v8 is one thing but its not all things. Handling is ok but if anything I find the front under damped occasionally particularly 30-60mph and wonder if that is because the light n53 is suffering dampers designed for more boat-anchor-esque lumps.  A conversation with birds suggests the front can be tightened with b6 dampers and if I keep the car I'm considering those along with a m5 front ARB.

So to keep the car or not. Recent experiences of BMW dealer has left me cold. I could do better bringing the car under my wing and doing all the service and maintenance work myself. Id do a better job but would cost me the excellent Allianz warranty.

Performance is obviously not blistering or anywhere near m5 nor is handling but there is something satisfying about the linear six pot as it winds up to 7000 rpm. It's certainly not slow, especially if the box is told what to do between manual, DS and D and not just left to do its own thing which is generally clumsy and lumbering IMO if you're in a rush. Drive it like a manual between m2 and m4 and it is pretty quick. I've not driven and m5 yet but I do wonder if I'd find it frustrating not having to *work* the engine to get the most out of it. Turbo or big displacement torque on tap is fast but too easy? I love wringing out an engine - how often can you realistically do that on UK roads in something like an m5 ?

Hmm.. stick or twist.

Edited by bmwmike

Keep it Mike and be satisfied that you are driving something very un

1 hour ago, bmwmike said:

boat-anchor-esque

in today's dreary sea of 520d's.

Be different, when was the last time you spotted a N53 or N55 powered F10 or F11?

If the engine and 'box are sound, make some subtle tweaks to the handling. It's a petrol 6 pot and that's what BMW do best.

bmwmike likes this

22 hours ago, bmwmike said:

Drove to Heathrow which is where I'm currently sat with a beer pondering whether my next car should be a e39 m5, an f10 m5, or something entirely different and non BMW. It occurs to me that there is not much love / written info about n53 powered F10's so whilst I await a flight I will type some words. 

You have the engine I had in my old 330i touring and in my view a masterpiece of engineering. I always considered that engine to be the very heart of the experience and the way it delivered power as you pilled on revs was addictive. It was so linear, whilst the engine would break into a bark, like all the best in line six engines. Matched to my 3 series touring, it was quick and manageable, but it had to be worked to get the very best from it and I loved it for that. 

You have a rare beast in your possession and sure worth keeping as it is an engine that is bullet proof. If it wasn't it for the mileage I do, I would not be in a 525d but seeking out a 6 cylinder petrol for my F11, it seems so much more in keeping with the rest of the car. 

I have a friend who had an F10 M5 (now in a Tesla) and he loved it, but the cost of parts and maintenance etc. meant, that after 3 years of ownership it was time to sell. If you can handle the costs, then surely this would give you what you are after? 

Edited by rickyclean
bmwmike likes this

57 minutes ago, sshooie said:

Had my fronts and rears swapped over, gotta love non staggered, old style TPMS....

Did you swap left to right too? 

I need to swap around the wheels on the wife's Kuga to even out the tyre wear, which is far easier than trying to get the wife to change her driving style causing said tyre wear.

Lennox likes this

2 hours ago, sshooie said:

Had my fronts and rears swapped over, gotta love non staggered, old style TPMS....

What does TPMS have to do with swapping the wheels?  The sensors are not position sensitive, any wheel can go on any corner. 

2 hours ago, sshooie said:

Rotational direction would be wrong. 

Unless if course you have these tyres, D'oh!

28 minutes ago, sshooie said:

In my last car they were coded to the corners.

A BMW?  That would be a pain especially if changing an axle pair with non rotation specific tyres, it would not be out of the realms of possibilities for a tyre fitter to swap the wheels left to right and vice versa.

7 minutes ago, sshooie said:

No, a Pug, at least they told me they were.

Nah, that would have confused the hell out of most Pug drivers.....:D

Turned the heater up to max heat. 4 deg C where I am. I'll be needing my winters on at this rate!