F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

1 hour ago, pidgeonpost said:

When I had this on my E60 it was due to low level of steering fluid which in turn proved to be due to a leaking power steering fluid cooler. May be worth a quick check on the PAS reservoir level if only to rule it out?

Thank you for this i will have a look.

25 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

It is yes. 

Could have been a noise from the suspension when at full lock, the joints are stressed up when at full lock and may make a noise.

Would it vibrate the steering though? I read a lot of m5 drivers suffering from it although not sure exact same vibration.

Edited by Erhan

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 15:00, 535i Andrew said:

It is yes. 

Could have been a noise from the suspension when at full lock, the joints are stressed up when at full lock and may make a noise.

Quite a few Lexus owners complain about it - when at full lock you get a "skipping" effect like a drag (understeer). I usually have it at work underground car park where the surface is damp and cold, once on  the open road car holds the road good without understeering effect. People say it is a suspension geometry set up, not convinced though.

44 minutes ago, Vlady said:

Quite a few Lexus owners complain about it - when at full lock you get a "skipping" effect like a drag (understeer). I usually have it at work underground car park where the surface is damp and cold, once on  the open road car holds the road good without understeering effect. People say it is a suspension geometry set up, not convinced though.

Interesting thats what mine felt like a bit but with a vibration through steering. I also dont get any understeer on road.

After much back and forth finding a version of esys that worked I managed to code 6NS. I discovered that the car I bought has essentially never been updated. Idrive is from 2015 and maps is 2014.01! Is it worth updating the idrive? Would it be a waste of time to get real time traffic if my maps is so old? Seem's mad to pay £150 a year for the services...

30 minutes ago, Alexio45 said:

After much back and forth finding a version of esys that worked I managed to code 6NS. I discovered that the car I bought has essentially never been updated. Idrive is from 2015 and maps is 2014.01! Is it worth updating the idrive? Would it be a waste of time to get real time traffic if my maps is so old? Seem's mad to pay £150 a year for the services...

Updating iDrive means updating the firmware for HU_NBT and that needs a confident DIYer with ESYS and the full set of psdzData files or by BMW or an independent with the necessary tool access. You can update the maps independently of the iDrive firmware version and 2019_1 is now available. You can also generate your own FSC code for the latest map version now that you have ESYS running. I understand you've found a version of Esys that works and coded 6NS but if you need any help or access to the latest ESYS version just PM me.

Filled up with 60 litres of Vpower.

It was the same price as ordinary Diesel but the 23.8 mpg average is very un Diesel like!  :P

And whilst under the spot lights in the petrol station I noticed all the swirl marks on the roof. :(

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Filled up with 60 litres of Vpower.

It was the same price as ordinary Diesel but the 23.8 mpg average is very un Diesel like!  :P

And whilst under the spot lights in the petrol station I noticed all the swirl marks on the roof. :(

Dunno I managed to get 23 mpg on diesel the other week quite easily hoofing it round the lakes haha

I had my F11 MOTd today.

Two advisories. One runflat tyre on the front is wearing unevenly and a Track rod end ball joint dust cover is damaged but is preventing the ingress of dirt.

Sounds alright to me as the winters will go on in the next few days.

8 hours ago, rasg said:

I had my F11 MOTd today.

Two advisories. One runflat tyre on the front is wearing unevenly and a Track rod end ball joint dust cover is damaged but is preventing the ingress of dirt.

I’d get the wheel alignment seen to ASAP otherwise your Winters will suffer the same fate. 

9 hours ago, rasg said:

I had my F11 MOTd today.

You might find the two are linked. Bit of play in the joint and the tyres will wear as a result. If the balljoint cover is showing signs of wear I doubt the joint will be in good nick.

Track rod end is not a big job but needs the wheel alignment doing immediately afterwards, so makes sense to replace it before you do the alignments. And the old chestnut applies, you should ideally do them in pairs. 

My winters have been on for 8 weeks now! Lol.

Exited a roundabout sideways this morning as I a) had traction off and b) hadn't noticed how cold it has got. The RFT tyres on the back are not great and I'm looking forward to changing them for GFT's.

Reason I had the TC off.. I swear the car drives more smoothly with less rock side to side (hard to explain - really depends on road surface), though the TC light itself is rarely on, so have been experimenting. I think someone else on here mentioned the same a year or so ago. I am not sure why the ride would be smoother as I don't have VDC but I wonder if the tyres are the issue, so will change them asap. If anyone's got any ideas on this I'd love to know.

Edited by bmwmike

18 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

Exited a roundabout sideways this morning as I a) had traction off and b) hadn't noticed how cold it has got. The RFT tyres on the back are not great and I'm looking forward to changing them for GFT's.

Reason I had the TC off.. I swear the car drives more smoothly with less rock side to side (hard to explain - really depends on road surface), though the TC light itself is rarely on, so have been experimenting. I think someone else on here mentioned the same a year or so ago. I am not sure why the ride would be smoother as I don't have VDC but I wonder if the tyres are the issue, so will change them asap. If anyone's got any ideas on this I'd love to know.

TC only works via the ABS braking system (DSC module) modulating the speed of each individual wheel in relation to the driving conditions and speed differential to the other wheels. 

As for side to side rock, I can’t see how TC can have any effect. Only a dynamic sway bar could have a noticeable impact and you’ve said you don’t have VDC so definitely no Adaptive Drive either. 

Placebo effect maybe?

30 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

TC only works via the ABS braking system (DSC module) modulating the speed of each individual wheel in relation to the driving conditions and speed differential to the other wheels. 

As for side to side rock, I can’t see how TC can have any effect. Only a dynamic sway bar could have a noticeable impact and you’ve said you don’t have VDC so definitely no Adaptive Drive either. 

Placebo effect maybe?

Exactly as I'd have thought too, but I'm sure there is a subtle difference. Side to side rock is probably a poor description on my part, but I imagine it could be caused by individual wheels being braked which would cause momentary compression of that suspension side, if you see what I mean.

Just priced up some super sports (£200 ea) so I'll get those on and see if it improves. Maybe the rears being RFT an fronts GFT is causing some issue now that the rears are getting lower.

Or as you say, placebo, but i don't think so it seems to handle and ride minor road imperfections "better" with TC off.

Edited by bmwmike

7 hours ago, bmwmike said:

Similarly in mine this morning when accelerating gently (no honestly) out of a 30mph zone, mine wiggled its hips. Back end did that light floaty sensation as it wiggled side to side. It wasn't icy cold, road surface was damp, but once I'd got it back on the straight the road looked like it was possibly contaminated with Diesel. It's near a building site too.

I normally nail it at that point where a recent change to extend the 30mph limit means drivers are right up my tail as I'm still doing 30 when they think it's a 60 limit.  Thank goodness I didn't nail it this time. 

Certainly wakens you up in the morning, stopping a tank slapper!

No intervention from the traction control.

2 hours ago, bmwf113.0d said:

I do miss the fun with the tc off. 

Does the Audi not let you turn it fully off?

I do find the F10s TC is far less intrusive than either the E60 or E39. More spinning wheels in the F10 before it reigns you in compared to the previous generations.

3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

I do find the F10s TC is far less intrusive than either the E60 or E39. More spinning wheels in the F10 before it reigns you in compared to the previous generations.

I find that too, hoping pilot super will fix it 

Edited by bmwmike
Typo

On 05/01/2019 at 19:50, 535i Andrew said:

Yeah I can turn it off but it makes little difference, I can get the TC light on briefly but only if I'm giving it the beans and on a particular road near work where the camber alternates quickly over a few roundabouts. 

I shouldn't grumble really as it's very sure footed and plants down when you press the pedal. 

On 05/01/2019 at 08:50, Matthew Ashton said:

I’d get the wheel alignment seen to ASAP otherwise your Winters will suffer the same fate. 

On 05/01/2019 at 09:24, 535i Andrew said:

You might find the two are linked. Bit of play in the joint and the tyres will wear as a result. If the balljoint cover is showing signs of wear I doubt the joint will be in good nick.

Track rod end is not a big job but needs the wheel alignment doing immediately afterwards, so makes sense to replace it before you do the alignments. And the old chestnut applies, you should ideally do them in pairs. 

My winters have been on for 8 weeks now! Lol.

Thanks for this info. I will have them looked at asap and get them changed.

Busy day today

Changed the front brake pads and discs.

Bled out/changed 500ml brake fluid from each front caliper.

Reset front brake service icon.

Test drove it, no vibration, steering wheel straight under braking, and both discs were at the same temperature after the run.

Write ups to follow.  Now added links

Edited by 535i Andrew
To add links to posts.