F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

4 minutes ago, dsgrnmcm said:

I have not thought of that I did read about a knackered fuel pump letting fuel in to the oil, via seals.

On older BMWs, E39 and E46 this was the case. Poor quality Diesel ate the fuel pump seals and you had Diesel in your sump.

Do you do lots of short trips? If yes it's probably due to failed regens. It dumps fuel into the sump if the regens fail.

The bloke before me used it as a company car, 120k on a 7 year old ca makes me think they were long trips for the age window. I have been from plymouth up to Liverpool,and Plymouth to Falmouth once a week. otherwise it just sits on the drive, as of Jan it will be Plymouth to Pompy every week. 

Same thing happened to my buttons. The moisture on my fingers seemed to react with the paint and dissolve it .

I replaced the damaged ones from another panel and then I regularly smear some polish on them and it hasn`t happened again.

So I extracted 1.5l of oil from the car,the car reckons it's still to full, dip stick is 2/3 up on the min/max Mark.

rain has stopped me doing anymore. might take it for a spin and re dip.

2018-12-02 11.44.25.jpg

Bought some Wynne's Formula Gold having read some people noticed improvements in smoothness and running characteristics. Halfway through a full tank but I have to say the idling seems smoother, S/S transition seems less vibey and the engine just seems sweeter. I expected it to be snake oil but am delighted with results so far.

Edited by Dakota

I got the yellow warning of new front brakes in 1100 miles, car has 49,100 miles on it.

image.jpg

That should see me till the holidays, but I imagine they will need doing before the MOT in Jan to prevent any issues.

I was putting off changing them earlier as I didn't want to try and do the pad reset without the system actually recognising it needed doing. I ran into bother with that on my E60. 

Saturday had it chipped now a healthy 400bhp

Sunday rained so much couldn’t do anything :(

Monday checked carpets all seems dry since last weeks mods 

Tuesday got stone chip on screen

Today had stone chip repaired and change wiper blades 

15C29C03-3833-46B4-A1ED-8B61584A4094.jpeg

Edited by Mobileman

14 hours ago, Mobileman said:

Saturday had it chipped now a healthy 400bhp

I'd be very interested to hear what difference it makes to economy, outright grunt and plain old every day driving.

And would you recommend the company that did it?

7 hours ago, jannism said:

I'd be very interested to hear what difference it makes to economy, outright grunt and plain old every day driving.

And would you recommend the company that did it?

Economy not noticed any huge difference but only had car week n half before but still managed over 1800 miles reading around 30 round doors and 40 on a run 

difference in pickup and grunt through gears is cracking so responsive and 3 digits far to easy to get too very quickly so got to watch the right foot 

comoany that hat I used are local to me in Newcastle but they are dealer for one of the big tuning cos that appear when you search , so far so good and no issues and few friend me had cars done last few years by some local company and tuning company so happy to pm you who incase it’s breaking any rules

finally think im going to get the same tuner to do the gearbox tune one that’s avail, apparently give quicker smoother shift and torque limiters

Edited by Mobileman

After get a warning of low remote key battery I change the remote key fob battery with a new Duracell 2450 lithium battery, as this is the first ever key remote battery I have ever had change I'm not sure how long their expected service life is, my 2014 F11 520d is just over four years old with 20,000 miles, my previous vehicle a Honda Accord Touring 8th Gen was five and a half years old with 25,000 miles completed when exchanged for the BMW and was still on original key battery when sold,
whilst it was easy and cheap to replace the key battery I was just surprised it was low.

BMW dealer charged me £5 to replace the battery. I never got a warning to say it was low, they phone to say the tech thought it was low. Hmmmmm.  I've bought two more Duracell batteries just recently to swap over. I think I changed one on my E39 remote. The E60 was on its original at 12 years old.

My wife's Kuga with keyless entry is quite heavy on the batteries in the key fobs. But one thing I've learned with the Blue oval keys is to replace with decent batteries. I bulk bought multi packets of coin batteries for the littl'uns toys in supermarket packaging but they only lasted months in the key fob. Swapped for Energizer and had no issues.

Interesting post here, have a couple of questions;

12 hours ago, Mobileman said:

Economy not noticed any huge difference but only had car week n half before but still managed over 1800 miles reading around 30 round doors and 40 on a run 

difference in pickup and grunt through gears is cracking so responsive and 3 digits far to easy to get too very quickly so got to watch the right foot 

comoany that hat I used are local to me in Newcastle but they are dealer for one of the big tuning cos that appear when you search , so far so good and no issues and few friend me had cars done last few years by some local company and tuning company so happy to pm you who incase it’s breaking any rules

finally think im going to get the same tuner to do the gearbox tune one that’s avail, apparently give quicker smoother shift and torque limiters

So your gearbox is pushing 770 nm more or less, you not worried about extra pressure on it? 8 speed ZF's seem to have a cap of around 700nm

7 hours ago, Oilburner said:

After get a warning of low remote key battery I change the remote key fob battery with a new Duracell 2450 lithium battery, as this is the first ever key remote battery I have ever had change I'm not sure how long their expected service life is, my 2014 F11 520d is just over four years old with 20,000 miles, my previous vehicle a Honda Accord Touring 8th Gen was five and a half years old with 25,000 miles completed when exchanged for the BMW and was still on original key battery when sold,
whilst it was easy and cheap to replace the key battery I was just surprised it was low.

Millage will have nothing to do with key fob battery, its effectively the amount of times you will press the remote. Also, long press for boot or to open/close windows will use more juice than just opening or closing the car with a short press. But at such a low cost, nothing to complain about surely?

6 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

BMW dealer charged me £5 to replace the battery. I never got a warning to say it was low, they phone to say the tech thought it was low. Hmmmmm.  I've bought two more Duracell batteries just recently to swap over. I think I changed one on my E39 remote. The E60 was on its original at 12 years old.

My wife's Kuga with keyless entry is quite heavy on the batteries in the key fobs. But one thing I've learned with the Blue oval keys is to replace with decent batteries. I bulk bought multi packets of coin batteries for the littl'uns toys in supermarket packaging but they only lasted months in the key fob. Swapped for Energizer and had no issues.

E39 and E6x cars (both the lozenge key and then the newer start/stop button cars) all charged the key fob whilst it was in the ignition. Only E6x cars with comfort access where they key never went into the steering column did require replacement batteries. Very cool idea. I remember my dads E39 also had a little rechargeable flashlight in the glove box although the light that that thing gave out was abysmal 

2 hours ago, bmwf113.0d said:

£5 to change the battery? 

Sheesh, what happened to a bit of goodwill. 

Included the battery price.

I wasn't bothered as I've had my goodwill back from that dealer and the bodyshop so I'm happy.

Still though, it's a 30 second job. 

Funnily the Mrs mentioned the other day about a few complaints about batteries wearing out within the first 7m or so, they are only covered for 6m but they change foc. 

Having said that they also change and store quite a few customers summer and winter wheels foc. 

1 hour ago, bmwf113.0d said:

Having said that they also change and store quite a few customers summer and winter wheels foc. 

My local dealer did that for both my folks cars.  Wheels were bought from same dealer.

4 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Millage will have nothing to do with key fob battery, its effectively the amount of times you will press the remote. Also, long press for boot or to open/close windows will use more juice than just opening or closing the car with a short press. But at such a low cost, nothing to complain about surely?

My point regarding mileage is revelant on my particular car as its only used on long journeys, which means one press to unlock before journey and one press to lock and end of journey, so in terms of actually pressing the key remote is very little, compared to short journeys trips or vehicle used every day, which mine is not used as a daily driver sometimes its not used for a month at a time,.

Edited by Oilburner

I bought a few Duracells from Amazon a while back and they don't last longer than three months on the F11.

Not the first time I've bought the button batteries from Amazon and had the same problem.

Just now, rasg said:

I bought a few Duracells from Amazon a while back and they don't last longer than three months on the F11.

Not the first time I've bought the button batteries from Amazon and had the same problem.

Feck!  That's exactly what I've bought and from same.  Mine have a long date on the packet though.

35 minutes ago, Dakota said:

Can we expect a recall for these fob batteries that are failing 4 years into normal use? ;)

Aye right! ;)