F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 13:45, GEO147 said:

I have a B47 F11 and I have developed a slight miss when cruising and on throttle very lightly. If on throttle no issue, if off throttle no issue. Its when slightly on throttle. It almost feels like im out of fuel. Have a Carly adapter coming tomorrow.

It caused limp mode last week which cleared and then drove normally.

Would be grateful for any leads on this. Im thinking carbon buildup? But is that an issue on B47? very little info on web which would suggest otherwise. 

Or perhaps a blocked fuel filter?

Plugged in the Carly adapter and got a slew of codes. Not sure how recent they are. A lot to do with swirl flaps too open, too closed, maf etc

Anyone an idea? Delete codes and see what comes back?

The benefit of using ISTA is that you can see the mileage the error code was thrown. I have seen Swirlflap errors that are historic so nothing to worry about, some codes are also just for information that a specific tolerance was breached under certain conditions but nothing to worry about. If you aren't sensing any issues while driving I'd just clear the codes and continue. 

I'm awaiting a LED bulb for the boot of the F10 but thought I would upgrade the lighting in there anyway.  Bought a €5 motion activated adhesive LED strip from China that can be cut to size, now at night it is like there are floodlights in the boot!

light.jpg

2 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

The benefit of using ISTA is that you can see the mileage the error code was thrown. I have seen Swirlflap errors that are historic so nothing to worry about, some codes are also just for information that a specific tolerance was breached under certain conditions but nothing to worry about. If you aren't sensing any issues while driving I'd just clear the codes and continue. 

Ok cheers Matthew. Ill do that and see how it goes.

Fixed the blocked windscreen washer pump filter, which appeared after I was running low on screenwash a few weeks ago and then as soon as I filled up all I got was a dribble.

Anyone who tells you this is an easy job must have Borrowers for helpers. It is not.

Collected a pair of front discs and pads inc wear sensor and some brake fluid from my dealer today. £364 all in. 

image.jpg

Also got my wire I had ordered for the pins on my towbar that aren't wired up (10, 11 and 12) and to fit a connection for my Ctek charger. 2.5mm^2 cable so will be man enough for the loads.

image.jpg

That is not too bad a price from a dealer.  I paid almost that for my Brembo front discs and my favoured ferodo Pads with wear sensor.

Edited by Enzo503

8 hours ago, Enzo503 said:

That is not too bad a price from a dealer.  I paid almost that for my Brembo front discs and my favoured ferodo Pads with wear sensor.

Yup, I've got a good relationship with the guys there, they are really helpful and very good to deal with.

Brian and Tom at Harry Fairbairns BMW parts in Giffnock, Glasgow. Thank you guys. They've been there for years too.

They are the big discs too, 36mm thick and they are hhhhhhhuuuuuuugggggggeeeee. Biggest ones I've ever bought. 

I prefer original discs after having issues getting my E60 ones. I could have got pads and sensor cheaper going OEM, but  like tyres, brakes are part of the car you want to spend money on, not save it.

Unfortunately for me, I am not convinced with the OE choice of discs and pads on the F series,   I have had to replace my front brakes early due to them being warped.

I believe OE is ATE discs and Textar pads for the majority of the F series vehicles.

Not to mention I have always found Textar to be brake dust heavy.

Today I fitted the Eibach springs and changed the front brake pads. On the pads, I had a light come on when I was in Berlin a few weeks ago, so they were well due. A picture of the old pad beside a new one:

oPFrb6e.jpg

On the springs, it's too dark now to do before & after pictures. The ride quality is unchanged from the 3 miles test drive, but I do have adaptive damping, so it firms up in sport mode / is like a sofa in comfort mode. Not a bad job, but pretty time consuming. Particularly when it gets dark & you're relying on a phone torch to see what you're doing! On this photo the old spring is on the right, and the Eibach is on the left:

ulJME88.jpg

The final thing I've just done is set the rear suspension 20mm lower. No test drive of the finished article yet.

Photos/drive test report to follow.

Edited by BFleming

Today I reset the brake pad warning using my Carly adapter. The first attempt didn't go so well; I then read the instructions, and saw you needed to have the parking brake disengaged for a successful reset. Did that, job done!

Gave my F11 a wash after some kind skip company have parked a skip next door and the builders are filling it with what appears to be mainly dust. 

So so come tomorrow it won’t look like I’ve touched it. 

On 5 November 2018 at 18:36, BFleming said:

Today I reset the brake pad warning using my Carly adapter. The first attempt didn't go so well; I then read the instructions, and saw you needed to have the parking brake disengaged for a successful reset. Did that, job done!

Just to clarify, to reset the front brake pad warning, you needed to release the parking brake. Sounds strange that a rear brake needs to be off, but nothing surprises me with BMWs!

I'm about to do my front pads and useful to know for the thing to reset.

I don't have Carly and was just going to reset via dash/trip button.

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Just to clarify, to reset the front brake pad warning, you needed to release the parking brake. Sounds strange that a rear brake needs to be off, but nothing surprises me with BMWs!

I'm about to do my front pads and useful to know for the thing to reset.

I don't have Carly and was just going to reset via dash/trip button.

Definitely the case. Front brake pad reset needs the handbrake released!

Fitted my winter wheels today.  Used the wheel bolt alignment tool for the first time.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Word of caution when using them on the front, the length of the threaded ends is too long and it then catches on the steering knuckle and prevents the hub from fully turning.  They certainly helped to prevent the inside of the alloy being scrapped off the brake disc splasher shield.  Putting the wheel back on was certainly much easier.

Previous rft puncture has been faultless.

image.jpg

Diff was nice and dry too, I'm sure there has been chat about weeping diffs recently?

image.jpg

Still need to wash the summers......

image.jpg

Winters all good to go.  And of course the weather man now says the temps are to rise, but plenty of rain though....

DSCN3949.jpg

I've now got my dads 237s 18" shod in Conti winter contacts and I sold my 327 17" to a nice chap from on here.

Edited by 535i Andrew

29 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Fitted my winter wheels today.  Used the wheel bolt alignment tool for the first time.

image.jpg

Bought mine a few days ago after someone tipped me about them. Wish I'd had them when I changed my wheels last week. Heavy going without them in your 70s with these heavy wheels and studless fittings!

14 minutes ago, Boba said:

Bought mine a few days ago after someone tipped me about them. Wish I'd had them when I changed my wheels last week. Heavy going without them in your 70s with these heavy wheels and studless fittings!

Yeah it was still a lift to get them onto the tool, I have bought a set for my dad to use on his G01, and he's in his 70's.

18 minutes ago, Boba said:

I bought those 'pegs' a few months ago and thanks for the link. I use a single peg per wheel, which makes it easier than what you've done and it doesn't scratch the wheel either.

37 minutes ago, paperjams said:

Finally found a set of wood trim to replace the hex aluminum much to most people's disgust! I am old before my time and thinks it looks nice.

Which wood  is is? Big fan of wood trim over silver, fineline anthracite looks very premium.

13 hours ago, Dakota said:

Which wood  is is? Big fan of wood trim over silver, fineline anthracite looks very premium.

You mean plastic. If you want wood in your car you need to go and buy a 1960s Jag......or a Morris Traveller.

2 hours ago, goram said:

Those alloys really alter the appearance of your motor don’t they!

Yeah I'm still getting used to it.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

You mean plastic. If you want wood in your car you need to go and buy a 1960s Jag......or a Morris Traveller.

Or an E34. Real Walnut veneer in my last one.