F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

Being of the mind that I would sooner not drive long distances on a deflated RFT and that the RFTs will be swapped out for non RFT when worn, I treated the car to one of these.  Called my preferred tyre fitter to see if he was happy repairing once this was used, he was. Also bought a tyre plugger.  

So if  do puncture I'd be hopeful that I can fix and be on my way quick enough. We shall see!

819U5wu9TnL._SX355_.jpg

Covered allot of miles in the last few weeks, maybe 1500+ with Cornwall to Scotland so the car needed a good clean to say the least.

I'm happy i had previously applied some good ceramic protection on the body and alloys - quick wash and back to being clean.

Have to say this is the first time i've spent allot of time driving this car on motorways and country roads. I did have some Drive Train issues in Cornwall but since then and probably 800+ miles on the car was very pleasant drive and capable car.

Clean.jpg

dirty.jpg

Edited by roundy

18 minutes ago, roundy said:

Covered allot of miles in the last few weeks, maybe 1500+ with Cornwall to Scotland so the car needed a good clean to say the least.

I'm happy i had previously applied some good ceramic protection on the body and alloys - quick wash and back to being clean.

Have to say this is the first time i've spent allot of time driving this car on motorways and country roads. I did have some Drive Train issues in Cornwall but since then and probably 800+ miles on the car was very pleasant drive and capable car.

Clean.jpg

dirty.jpg

Looks good. I've used the Ceramitech brand for maintenance coat.

Bought a set of wheels for it today, OE M-sport 18’s. Collection next week....

2 hours ago, 83C said:

Bought a set of wheels for it today, OE M-sport 18’s. Collection next week....

Style 613? 

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=FR72-EUR-01-2013-F10-BMW-535i&diagId=36_1805

I want these for my winter set up, but not staggered set up though.

I emptied out everything, reset the 8 quick access buttons, unbound the bluetooth, deleted all the the music from the hard drive and removed all the sat nav destinations Last drive tomorrow to trade her in and pick up the new car. 

I feel a bit sad as it's a great car and I really wanted to sell it privately to some nice person who would baby the ceramic coating etc. But they offered me top dollar in px and suddenly this plan wafted away!

I think I just have Connected Drive to kill but I'll make sure the new car is OK before taking this step ...

55 minutes ago, Retset said:

But they offered me top dollar in px 

Or the car you are buying (ya Bammy Jugger;)) is over priced?

In my experience the only winner when it comes to buying or selling a car is the car salesman.

But I look forward to seeing pics of the new car.:D

Ordered up replacement front brake pads, wear sensor, left disc and right disc.

Bizarrely there are no left had discs in the country but there are right hand discs so does that mean that folk are running around with one new disc and worn disc?

On 25 September 2018 at 9:18 PM, 535i Andrew said:

Style 613? 

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=FR72-EUR-01-2013-F10-BMW-535i&diagId=36_1805

I want these for my winter set up, but not staggered set up though.

Style 350s, staggered set.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Ordered up replacement front brake pads, wear sensor, left disc and right disc.

Bizarrely there are no left had discs in the country but there are right hand discs so does that mean that folk are running around with one new disc and worn disc?

Thought your miles was less than mine, do your discs need doing? I haven't checked mine with a dial but at 57k they seem ok by feel and I can't see through them yet..

Edited by bmwmike

1 minute ago, bmwmike said:

Thought your miles was less than mine, do your discs need doing? I haven't checked mine with a dial but at 57k they seem ok by feel and I can't see through them yet..

I'm at 48k miles.

I've got 1500 miles to go on the pads, and to me the discs are right on the cusp for being acceptable to put new pads on. There are two wear limits on the disc for its service thickness, one minimum thickness for fitting new pads and one for for disc replacement. My E60 pads and discs wore the same rate, but my F10 pads have worn before the discs.

I've never been satisfied with the condition of the front discs so I'm happy to change them so I know they will be good.

DSCN3789.jpg

This measurement was taken nearly 6 months ago. The minimum thickness for the disc to fit new pads is 1.6mm wear which is 34.4 mm.  If there are plenty of meat on the pads, the disc can have continue to wear down to 33.6mm.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim_201301/repair-manuals/34-brakes/34-11-front-wheel-brakes/2SxSu3Jg

3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

I'm at 48k miles.

I've got 1500 miles to go on the pads, and to me the discs are right on the cusp for being acceptable to put new pads on. There are two wear limits on the disc for its service thickness, one minimum thickness for fitting new pads and one for for disc replacement. My E60 pads and discs wore the same rate, but my F10 pads have worn before the discs.

I've never been satisfied with the condition of the front discs so I'm happy to change them so I know they will be good.

DSCN3789.jpg

This measurement was taken nearly 6 months ago. The minimum thickness for the disc to fit new pads is 1.6mm wear which is 34.4 mm.  If there are plenty of meat on the pads, the disc can have continue to wear down to 33.6mm.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim_201301/repair-manuals/34-brakes/34-11-front-wheel-brakes/2SxSu3Jg

I wouldn't go aftermarket. BMW do £449 with discs and pads for your car. You can pay them by installments over 12 months at 0% APR (min £250 service cost).

I found this Genuine BMW front disc set at £265. You need to doulble check the numbers for your car; 34116785669 & 34116785670.

Edited by jake13

Thanks @jake13.  No intention of going aftermarket. I'm picking up a set of genuine value line pads and wear sensor on Monday when it goes into my local dealer to get the towbar checked out.

They are giving me a loyalty discount at better than your price for the discs but they are on back order from Germany, well one is.....

Easy Saturday morning diy job with my dad. Good father and son time.:D

The hardest thing will be doing the service reset going from previous experience.

Debating whether I put the winters on when I have the fronts off. 

I put another tankful of Tesco momentum (their equivalent of Super unleaded) in mine today.  The previous tank of momentum was bought with a 10p per litre discount which is noticeable when you put in over 60 litres, plus Tesco points means money off beer!

The first tank of momentum returned 30.4 mpg average on my usual trips which on ordinary limp wristed unleaded returns 28-29 mpg. So another 63 litres were bought to test again.

Wouldn't use ordinary supermarket unleaded again after previous bad experiences in my Sennie and E39.

Had my car back in with NCB to take a look at a weeping gearbox sump, turns out it was a faulty sump seal, new sump and oil courtesy of zf and I'm back on the road! Also purchased my winters for this season ready to go on the far end of October

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Thanks @jake13.  No intention of going aftermarket. I'm picking up a set of genuine value line pads and wear sensor on Monday when it goes into my local dealer to get the towbar checked out.

They are giving me a loyalty discount at better than your price for the discs but they are on back order from Germany, well one is.....

Easy Saturday morning diy job with my dad. Good father and son time.:D

The hardest thing will be doing the service reset going from previous experience.

Debating whether I put the winters on when I have the fronts off. 

I'll dis-own you if they wheels go on any time soon.....:ph34r:

2 hours ago, jake13 said:

I wouldn't go aftermarket. BMW do £449 with discs and pads for your car. You can pay them by installments over 12 months at 0% APR (min £250 service cost).

I found this Genuine BMW front disc set at £265. You need to doulble check the numbers for your car; 34116785669 & 34116785670.

Autodoc might do you better especially with the App.....

34 minutes ago, RightHandGoose said:

I'll dis-own you if they wheels go on any time soon.....:ph34r:

Ha just been outside Its chuffin freezing where I am, plus I figured if I've got my 19"s off to do the brakes I might as well stick the winters on....but my brakes will last a while yet so no need to get the spanners out just yet lol.

1 hour ago, RightHandGoose said:

Autodoc might do you better especially with the App.....

When it comes to brake discs, I don't bother with aftermarket 'oems'. The link is for Genuine BMWs, however need to confirm if they are for the pair since they cost £180 each!

10 hours ago, jake13 said:

since they cost £180 each!

What rip off merchant is that then?

My local dealer is doing them at ~£120 each inc VAT. My smaller E60 discs weren't much cheaper than that 7 years ago, so I'm happy with the price I'm paying.

Got a new brake bleed kit, tube with a non return valve on it so I can swap out some brake fluid when I change my brakes soon.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIZIBLEED-ONE-MAN-BRAKE-AND-CLUTCH-BLEEDING-KIT-UNIVERSAL-AID-TOOL-NV16/351294401747?hash=item51cac72cd3:g:AVoAAOxyuR5TY3rk

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Got a new brake bleed kit, tube with a non return valve on it so I can swap out some brake fluid when I change my brakes soon.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIZIBLEED-ONE-MAN-BRAKE-AND-CLUTCH-BLEEDING-KIT-UNIVERSAL-AID-TOOL-NV16/351294401747?hash=item51cac72cd3:g:AVoAAOxyuR5TY3rk

Yep, had one of those in the toolbox for 15 years. Works reasonably well.