F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

On 6/18/2018 at 8:28 PM, 535i Andrew said:

I got my speed measured by the local police dept!

I'm the last car in a line of traffic doing 50mph in a 60mph limit. I brake before the 30mph limit so my speed is 30mph when I hit the limit. Cars in front of me slow down after they enter the 30mph limit so a big gap appears between me and car in front. Which is enough time for the police officer to finish dealing with their previous satisfied customer and lifts his hand held speed gun and aims it at me, meanwhile cars in front who are doing more than 30mph sail past.

He then lowers his hand held and looks dissatisfied that I was a law abiding BMW driver.;)

Pity he wasn't able to get the car not going as fast as you can go in sixty limit but was clearly doing more than thirty in the built up area. I hate these drives who go too slow in nationwide limits but speed where it's dangerous too in the built up areas.

Travelling down the A30 to Cornwall yesterday, I was doing about 73mph on the speedo or 70mph, maybe a whole 71, on the GPS. My wife was asking if I could speed up a bit as we had an appointment. I didn't and a few miles later crested a rise to see a white van in a layby with blacked out rear windows and then spotted the Police lettering. had I been doing the sort of speeds she wanted, I would never have spotted it till it was too late!

3 minutes ago, Retset said:

Travelling down the A30 to Cornwall yesterday, I was doing about 73mph on the speedo or 70mph, maybe a whole 71, on the GPS. My wife was asking if I could speed up a bit as we had an appointment. I didn't and a few miles later crested a rise to see a white van in a layby with blacked out rear windows and then spotted the Police lettering. had I been doing the sort of speeds she wanted, I would never have spotted it till it was too late!

There is a moral in that story......

Never ever listen to your wife! :ph34r:

Deep Sea Blue was discontinued at face-lift I think and was only available in SE trim prior - great colour!!

Thanks chaps, however am now debating whether to get rid of it or not what with the recent ULEZ proposals and 2040 diesel ban. As this is a 2010 model it only adheres to the Euro 5 regs so would be subject to charges within these zones.

It also needs a bit spent on it, including 6 glow plugs and controller, tyres all around and an oil service. Just thinking what my options are ATM and whether its worth spending a bit and keeping it a bit longer, or if I'd be better off trading it in for something newer/cleaner.

2040 is too far away to worry about but I know the London Zone is going to expand massively and require Euro 6. As always, depreciation will outweigh all other costs so it really comes down to how much you will need to enter any of these zones. 

I know that both Birmingham and Southampton have recently proposed low emission zones similar to that in London so its only time till every other town follows suit. If I were to get rid of the car now I'd hope there wouldn't be as hard a hit in depreciation as there would be if I sold it in say 2-3 years time when these ULEZ's become increasingly commonplace. I suspect big diesel's won't be all that attractive by then...

3 hours ago, F10 530d said:

I suspect big diesel's won't be all that attractive by then...

No but big petrols will be.;)

5 hours ago, F10 530d said:

if I'd be better off trading it in for something newer/cleaner.

540i xdrive G30. :D

In all seriousness what you are looking to spend on your current F10 isn't massive money, when it's something bigger like cylinder head work or bottom end rebuild or an autobox refurb, it's time to re-evaluate the situation.

In fairness I've not yet shopped around regarding the glow plugs but a quick google search suggests it should be in the region of £300 all in, which is less than I expected. However I was less impressed when looking at tyres where the cheapest I found were £143 per corner; may consider non RFTs / part-worns if these prices are anything to go by.

3 hours ago, SuperDave said:

About £22k after 3 years.... Mind you m5 f10s... :ph34r:

Oh I wish! Recently had the house renovated otherwise an M5 would already be sitting in the driveway! Wouldn't want one without a warraty mind, but they are tempting at £29k for 40k miles on AUC. Not sure the other half would approve however.

9 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

No but big petrols will be.;)

540i xdrive G30. :D

In all seriousness what you are looking to spend on your current F10 isn't massive money, when it's something bigger like cylinder head work or bottom end rebuild or an autobox refurb, it's time to re-evaluate the situation.

Agreed, just enquired on the cost of new plugs and it came in to ~£300 so not the end of the world. The F10 has been faultless otherwise in the time I've owned it.

The G30's seem to be carrying quite a premium over F10's atm which is a shame as would love to properly experience a petrol BMW before they're legalised off the roads. Perhaps its time to jump in to an F10 M5! :D

5 hours ago, SuperDave said:

About £22k after 3 years....

That's what mine was when I bought it. But that was back when Diesel was still considered to be the correct fuel of choice.  

Given the situation now I would expect petrol G30s to hold their value a bit more but more 540is are being sold now given that Diesel is now not the favoured choice.

Question is, have they built a v8 that isn't a chocolate teapot. The early m5 f10s have all had new engines or oil pumps and bits, and the 550 was notorious.... Reviews of the new m5 are good though.... 

57 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

That's what mine was when I bought it. But that was back when Diesel was still considered to be the correct fuel of choice.  

Given the situation now I would expect petrol G30s to hold their value a bit more but more 540is are being sold now given that Diesel is now not the favoured choice.

Diesel is still the fuel of choice when you look at actual emissions on the new test regime, compare 540i to 530d in the G30 Feb 2017 drip down:

http://carfueldata.dft.gov.uk/search-new-or-used-cars.aspx

We are being talked out of diesel by the press, but a good diesel will produce less particulates than the equivalent petrol engine, purely because diesel has been developed more than petrol in the last few years. It would be a shame to lose all that development and testing just because I’ll informed ministers and the tabloids don’t like diesel. 

Read Autocar and they tell you that there is still nothing like a big diesel in a Range Rover or an X5 where hybrids simply do not work. 

Do your homework before deciding petrol is best as I don’t think diesel is dead yet. 

1 hour ago, SuperDave said:

Question is, have they built a v8 that isn't a chocolate teapot. The early m5 f10s have all had new engines or oil pumps and bits, and the 550 was notorious.... 

Sadly no. :(

Pity they just didn't build on the N62 that was good engine, it just didn't like keeping its oil where its designer intended!  But to get the space to turbocharge the V8, they swapped the conventional location of the V8 inlet manifold for the exhaust manifold, and made two inlet manifolds.  So very different heads on the N63 and with direct injection of course.  Perhaps the next V8 will be better but in what model will that go into as we are now getting V8 power and performance from blown 6 pots?

I would have a V8 Diesel, just because its a V8.  And you could pretend you are the Rubber Duck, :D

8 hours ago, F10 530d said:

However I was less impressed when looking at tyres where the cheapest I found were £143 per corner; may consider non RFTs / part-worns if these prices are anything to go by.

When you can get decent non RFT's from the likes of Camskill for under €100 it's very tempting to consider switching alright.

Booked it back in with the dealer (via lease company) as the parcel cover is starting to creak again. It was done under warranty before but I suspect nothing was actually done!

Left it at the station :(, signalling fault on the trains so slumming it on the bus.

Still atleast the bus is an appropriate use for an engine powered by the fuel of Lucifer.:twisted: