F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

16 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Interesting. I'll get one of them for when I start my DIY servicing.....

Why bother with the stamp, just looks dodgy imo. 

1 minute ago, sshooie said:

Ah, mine wasn't as bad as that (even when I sold it @120k, plus mine was black so I wonder if the colouring effects it or just a fat arse as you say. (I'm no waif) 

Getting it replaced tomorrow, fingers crossed it will be a good job. The guy say he's doing one of these bolster on the F10 every week.

12 hours ago, Dakota said:

Went around the car adjusting the door strike plates. A mm here and there, doors now all better than when it left the factory.

What does this adjustment do?

8 minutes ago, sshooie said:

I also sign it and write "owner" and reference the BMW invoice number which is proof of the parts fitted.  Invoice goes with car as part of the documents.  Big wad of receipts went with my E60, some of which were referenced in the service book after DIY servicing. 

1 hour ago, Y15HAL said:

What does this adjustment do?

The strike plates move in 4 directions and allows you to get the doors entirely flush.  If adjusting don't over loosen and don't over tighten the 2 bolts. The plate may be very stiff requiring a few taps with a small hammer using a piece of wood against the plate.

Sample image:

SBF Door Striker Plate.jpg

2 hours ago, Dakota said:

The strike plates move in 4 directions and allows you to get the doors entirely flush.  If adjusting don't over loosen and don't over tighten the 2 bolts. The plate may be very stiff requiring a few taps with a small hammer using a piece of wood against the plate.

Sample image:

Is this only for allignment?

I find that my passenger doors needs a little more of a slam than the others.....:unsure:

1 minute ago, Y15HAL said:

Is this only for allignment?

I find that my passenger doors needs a little more of a slam than the others.....:unsure:

Yes, if you move the plate out a mm you may find they require less of a slam.  But if the panel alignment is good I would leave it alone.

11 minutes ago, Dakota said:

Yes, if you move the plate out a mm you may find they require less of a slam.  But if the panel alignment is good I would leave it alone.

OK thanks, may just leave it to be safe :) 

Gave the old boy a right old caning on a 450 mile round trip from Berks to Cheshire and back.

Even managed some fun on a couple of twisties as the shat Nav redirected. Never fails to amaze me that for a battleship that feels a bit floppy under 5 tenths, when you REALLY push on, it really comes alive and handles extremely well. Like a big hot hatch. Almost.

All whilst being cosseted by lovely camp oyster leather!

Marvellous!

Edited by goram

I got my speed measured by the local police dept!

I'm the last car in a line of traffic doing 50mph in a 60mph limit. I brake before the 30mph limit so my speed is 30mph when I hit the limit. Cars in front of me slow down after they enter the 30mph limit so a big gap appears between me and car in front. Which is enough time for the police officer to finish dealing with their previous satisfied customer and lifts his hand held speed gun and aims it at me, meanwhile cars in front who are doing more than 30mph sail past.

He then lowers his hand held and looks dissatisfied that I was a law abiding BMW driver.;)

Pity he wasn't able to get the car not going as fast as you can go in sixty limit but was clearly doing more than thirty in the built up area. I hate these drives who go too slow in nationwide limits but speed where it's dangerous too in the built up areas.

On 6/15/2018 at 7:12 PM, 535i Andrew said:

It's only taken me two years, four months and two days of ownership to figure out how to stream music from my phone....

#Technophobe.:ph34r:

I'm trying it all over again!

Worked just fine on the Sony Xperia L1. Changed to Xperia XA2 - doesn't work. Nothing, no sound, nothing. :angry:

Running Androind 8 Oreo

Only want to listen to podcasts.

Edited by Coops

10 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

I had to turn everything "on", on my phone to get the transfer to work and then turn up the volume on the phone before I could hear anything. 

Yeah had to do the volume right up on the L1 but just can't fathom it out on this XA2. Try again tomorrow.

On 6/13/2018 at 7:57 AM, sshooie said:

I'm sorry I dont agree it looks dodgy as stated, the BMW logo rubber stamp is not making any false claims it has the wording  Owner Serviced with Genuine Parts, and Date & Mileage, and all my invoice receipts for the parts used are saved to support what service parts I have used for that particular service, so the rubber is just reinforcing a statement made during owner servicing and stamping in a Maintenance & Service Record Book is just part of that, now if I was to just keep a bunch of receipts and thats all with no other records that does look dodgy, for example I dont use the stamp in the Maintenance & Service Record Book I keep when I record the MOT's, Tyre Replacements, Tracking Etc, I just write who carried the work date & mileage, and keep any invoice receipt for the work carried out along with all the others.

4 hours ago, sshooie said:

Ah, didn't realise it was worded towards diy. Still something that adds no value, just imo of course, someone telling me that it's been diy'd and evidencing with receipts would be fine. 

You quoted me at the top of this page where I had said I would use it for DIY servicing......;)

16 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

I got my speed measured by the local police dept!

I'm the last car in a line of traffic doing 50mph in a 60mph limit. I brake before the 30mph limit so my speed is 30mph when I hit the limit. Cars in front of me slow down after they enter the 30mph limit so a big gap appears between me and car in front. Which is enough time for the police officer to finish dealing with their previous satisfied customer and lifts his hand held speed gun and aims it at me, meanwhile cars in front who are doing more than 30mph sail past.

He then lowers his hand held and looks dissatisfied that I was a law abiding BMW driver.;)

Pity he wasn't able to get the car not going as fast as you can go in sixty limit but was clearly doing more than thirty in the built up area. I hate these drives who go too slow in nationwide limits but speed where it's dangerous too in the built up areas.

The first time I got caught speeding went along these lines too! I was behind other cars who were also speeding, but being at the back meant I was the first car the Police caught up with (it was one Police car aiming the gun, another heading off to chase people down).

The morale of the story... always overtake.

To avoid confusion I have added a image from the BMW  stamp that I  use when carrying out my own servicing, whilst I agree it adds little as all the invoice receipts for parts used are kept, but as all my own  servicing details  are recorded in a Maintenance & Service Book, it certainly looks far more professional also it states a message Genuine Parts are used which can be easily checked against the retained  invoice receipts, and as a added bonus  I generally take a few photos or short video of the service work I carried out which is also date stamped, doing it this way can leave know doubt to any future owner should I wish to sell any car later on, as to the pride & quality of the work that has been carried out. unlike a lot of main dealership servicing work, just because they have a smart flash garage & showrooms that counts for nothing in my book.

IMG_6432.JPG

11 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Distance to front brake pad servicing dropped another 200 miles to 1,800 miles to go.

Mine say 1400 Miles, they are the original discs and pads with 72k miles! They said 3000 miles to go 17k miles ago!

3 minutes ago, paperjams said:

Mine say 1400 Miles, they are the original discs and pads with 72k miles! They said 3000 miles to go 17k miles ago!

Mine suddenly went from being 12k to go, to 2k to go.

E60 I got over 70k on all four discs and pads.

I've never been completely happy with the front brakes on my car.  After I bought the car, it took me 3 months to get an even wear colour on my front discs.  It had been stood for about 3 months before I bought it.  I can tell they just aren't as good as I think they should be.  Discs are about half worn after incorrectly thinking they were over their minimum wear thickness.

47k on mine