F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

Fuel light came on mine at 402 miles which I think is rather good and my best effort so far since I've had the car. That's with BP non 95 not sure what it's called.

Started taking the grommet plate off and got bored so I'll finish that later.  Going to clean out the crap behind it and drill an extra drain hole.

Sainsburys premium unleaded is decent and doesn't cost the earth. Worth keeping in mind for when fuel prices are high and vPower costs about the same as a bottle of wine - i know which I would rather have!

2 hours ago, sanjx said:

Sainsburys premium unleaded is decent and doesn't cost the earth. Worth keeping in mind for when fuel prices are high and vPower costs about the same as a bottle of wine - i know which I would rather have!

Very true. I worked it out on the prices here, and over 50 litres the price difference was about £4.50 between regular and premium. 

18 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Very true. I worked it out on the prices here, and over 50 litres the price difference was about £4.50 between regular and premium. 

I could only run my charged Integra DC5 on premium fuel; it was always VPower until one day I had no choice, so used Sainsburys premium and had zero issues; so I used that and VPower every other fill

I do the same with my 530i now, Sainsburys normal and premium every other tank

Unless the cars tuned to use higher RON fuel; it'll be fine on normal, I just use premium/VPower for the added cleaning benefits etc

3 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I could only run my charged Integra DC5 on premium fuel; it was always VPower until one day I had no choice, so used Sainsburys premium and had zero issues; so I used that and VPower every other fill

I do the same with my 530i now, Sainsburys normal and premium every other tank

Unless the cars tuned to use higher RON fuel; it'll be fine on normal, I just use premium/VPower for the added cleaning benefits etc

Correct. I'd use it purely for the cleaning benefits. Especially in diesels. Mines a lot less rough sounding on Vpower. 

Brake fluid changed at dealer. £80 which I thought was reasonable. Tried to avert my eyes from the shiny new cars they had lined up to tempt me: 335 4x4, M140i and a beautiful i8. 

15 hours ago, paperjams said:

upgraded the base sound system - crossovers installed, new mids and tweeters from MB Quart - the difference is huge!

Interesting, I've been considering the same. Which parts/kit did you use?

16 hours ago, paperjams said:

upgraded the base sound system - crossovers installed, new mids and tweeters from MB Quart - the difference is huge!

I did mine last year and used the Gladen custom fit stuff with a 6 channel Mosconi amp.  I also used 10 sheets of dynamat in the doors and boot to suppress the road noise.

New mids and added tweeters to the door mirror sails:

20170805_192019.thumb.jpg.f8e350822934785ee8bf4f0dd91031da.jpg

New mids and added tweeters to the rear:

20170610_151843.thumb.jpg.cdd7d913f0aee344a0255cc27403109d.jpg

Had to cut the door panel for the tweeter (scary)

20170702_070952.thumb.jpg.8aaa0d9feea48bc63c51bd13dc2675e0.jpg

Mosconi amp:

20170806_201514.thumb.jpg.9964c0c92453fce8af8ef668ac2e74ad.jpg

20170813_180814.thumb.jpg.5f20bf7ee7094e047d017933f90226f0.jpg

8" subs under the seats:

20170806_151154.thumb.jpg.ee81e329a21742173ccdc5d0d17ec985.jpg

And Dynamat to the doors and boot:

20170805_181134.thumb.jpg.22a7dc9a4b32b201b2873fa1eb892518.jpg

20170702_114844.thumb.jpg.27197472f026c58768dc69cdccf12264.jpg

20170813_185309.thumb.jpg.3f48b8a57951a1509cab5a94fcf3a4f7.jpg

Edited by E39touring

4 hours ago, AndyM said:

Interesting, I've been considering the same. Which parts/kit did you use?

I didn’t want to spend a fortune and so looked for a kit that is designed to work with the standard amp. I also added some bass blockers to the mids as they are on the same channel as the subs so distort at too lower volume. It really does sound alright now!

the kit I ordered....https://www.audiodesign.de/mbquart/english/quartmobil-qm100c-bmw-2-way-component-system.html

amazon have it for £130

5 hours ago, paperjams said:

I didn’t want to spend a fortune and so looked for a kit that is designed to work with the standard amp. I also added some bass blockers to the mids as they are on the same channel as the subs so distort at too lower volume. It really does sound alright now!

the kit I ordered....https://www.audiodesign.de/mbquart/english/quartmobil-qm100c-bmw-2-way-component-system.html

amazon have it for £130

I'm also not interested in spending huge amounts so this is the route I'd take - I'd possibly upgrade the under seat subs as well.

Have you considered coding the head unit to HiFi?

7 hours ago, AndyM said:

I'm also not interested in spending huge amounts so this is the route I'd take - I'd possibly upgrade the under seat subs as well.

Have you considered coding the head unit to HiFi?

The kit is impressive, it comes with plugs that go straight into the BMW loom so no chopping wires, the tweeters clip into the BMW sails and the crossover fits onto the door car with no clearance issues.

Went around the car adjusting the door strike plates. A mm here and there, doors now all better than when it left the factory. Also applied scratch remover and polished the Fineline Anthracite trim, looks much better now. My OCD slowly undoing the evidence of the previous owner!

Next up fix seat base, bolster and new leather. Then protection film for back bumper.

Edited by Dakota

14 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

@Dakota What polish did you use on the inside trim?

Mine tripped over 47,000 miles today.

Maguire's scratch remover followed by Maguire's stage 3 wax. Lovely results. My mileage is similar, how us your driver's seat bolster holding up?

6 minutes ago, sshooie said:

My bolster was worn, albeit slight at 54k. I used a pen from fleabay to good effect. 

Mine is beyond a pen as the leather has a nasty crease in it, think the previous owner was fond of the pies.

IMG_20180528_094434.jpg

My bolster has a bit of wear in it but not too noticeable, only cos like you I have light grey leather too.

The black leather in my E60s hid a multitude of sins.:ph34r:

Self completed main service with castrol edge 0w 30 oil filter, air filter, cabin micro filter, brake fluid change, then completed a vehicle check as per list used by main BMW dealers also added a few more of my own items to check, then new MOT ahead of time and passed with no advisory's, the only thing left outstanding is the diesel fuel filter which is not needed for at least another 10k, what I have done regarding service history I purchased from ebay a suitable service book and a BMW self service rubber inking stamp, sign and record date and mileage, and keep all invoice receipts, these show I only used genuine Mahle filters, at the moment the jury is still out regarding changing coolant because it has not done the average mileage for a four year old vehicle more like less than two years mileage.

After thorough wash and dry with my new Worx WG518e Air Turbine leaf blower dedicated to just car drying, even in hot bright sun it left no water limescale marks at all best £39 I have ever spent, shame price has just gone back to £49 now, I then went over the paintwork with some clay bar, another wash & dry then finally applied some Fusso wax/sealant with great effect, the rinsing water from washing car now blows of even easier not that its needed too, I can thoroughly recomend the Worx WG518e air turbine leaf blower the CFM that comes out the plastic nozzle is incredilble, it was far better than I even hoped for as I live in a hard water area, and this is now a godsend at drying the car quickly without leaving water limescale marks.

9 hours ago, Oilburner said:

I purchased from ebay a suitable service book and a BMW self service rubber inking stamp

Interesting. I'll get one of them for when I start my DIY servicing.....

11 hours ago, Dakota said:

Mine is beyond a pen as the leather has a nasty crease in it, think the previous owner was fond of the pies.

IMG_20180528_094434.jpg

Ah, mine wasn't as bad as that (even when I sold it @120k, plus mine was black so I wonder if the colouring effects it or just a fat arse as you say. (I'm no waif)