F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

4 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Besides as @Caesar says, it's simply a cooool car. ;)

*he says from a mechanical point of view and not checked for codes. :ph34r:

Can't deny that! 

If the oil and water temps via the hidden obc menu are what you expect then nothing to worry about i guess. :)

FWIW here's mine after a motorway cruise (Gatwick to south wales). Before getting on the motorway it had been slightly over 120c.

No codes so I assume it's normal for this engine but I wouldn't want to leave the oil longer than 10k miles. 

20180604_093244.jpg

Edited by bmwmike

I subscribe to this thread because there's tons of interesting discussion, buuuuuttt.......

I happen to find it extremely tedious to get a notification only to open it to find it's someone saying they washed and/or hoovered their car.

Do you really need to share that with the world?

Does everyone who subscribes to this thread really need to know that you used the two bucket method?

Am I alone in finding the fact that someone washed their car as completely tedious and unnecessary?

I'm petitioning for the banning of 'washed my car' posts.

Roast me if I'm wrong, but I think a little self censorship is often a good thing, for the rest of humanity.

Edited by Dogshark

Few pics here - https://photos.app.goo.gl/bcFsPCqM98oCUvCG2

its certainly the next step up in car i think, i had a SE 530d, this is the msport

love the ride even on 20's, has a decent spec

Digital Dash, Head up, HK audio, 20" wheels, Glass Roof, Reverse Camera, smoker package (who smokes in a car now ?), contrast stitching, Extended leather, DAB, High Gloss shadow line, Anthracite headliner,

but the best option is the individual paint, havnt captured it in photos but when the sun shines it has an amazing red flake effect.

the speed diff between this and the 530 is still putting a smile on my face, the 5th seat in the middle is ok for a child or dwarf but no adult could really sit in it.

9 minutes ago, markprior said:

Few pics here - https://photos.app.goo.gl/bcFsPCqM98oCUvCG2

its certainly the next step up in car i think, i had a SE 530d, this is the msport

love the ride even on 20's, has a decent spec

Digital Dash, Head up, HK audio, 20" wheels, Glass Roof, Reverse Camera, smoker package (who smokes in a car now ?), contrast stitching, Extended leather, DAB, High Gloss shadow line, Anthracite headliner,

but the best option is the individual paint, havnt captured it in photos but when the sun shines it has an amazing red flake effect.

the speed diff between this and the 530 is still putting a smile on my face, the 5th seat in the middle is ok for a child or dwarf but no adult could really sit in it.

That is the exact spec I would go for, I've been looking at the last edition 67/18 reg cars, they all have decent spec and can be had for £38K as an AUC.  I would probably find the ride good as well seeing as I'm running 21's at present.  Just the small matter of a £14K deficit to find first.

54 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

No codes so I assume it's normal

20180604_093244.jpg

Vertical is normal.

I believe bmw usa moved back to 10k intervals a few years ago. I do my own change in between dealer/indy visits which averages around 7-8k, as far as I'd want to go with a diesel before a change. 

3 hours ago, Dogshark said:

I subscribe to this thread because there's tons of interesting discussion, buuuuuttt.......

I happen to find it extremely tedious to get a notification only to open it to find it's someone saying they washed and/or hoovered their car.

Does everyone who subscribes to this thread really need to know that you used the two bucket method?

Am I alone in finding the fact that someone washed their car as completely tedious and unnecessary?

Roast me if I'm wrong, but I think a little self censorship is often a good thing, for the rest of humanity.

Ordinarily, these things tend not to be mentioned, but, this thread is exactly used so that new threads don't get wasted listing smaller matters. I turned notifications off for that reason really, but still visit the site daily to pick and choose what I read. Simple. 

Also, we are a really friendly bunch on here. So much better than many other forums I have visited and binned off very quickly due to the abuse etc. I personally have no issues with reading what anybody considers news in this thread. It makes us what we are.

Finally, there is always the off button. 

Had a play with making up the trailer wiring loom for new trailer LED lights to replace the old skool filament bulbs.

What prompted this was my dad was querying the LED Hyperflash issue that you get on trailer/caravan LED lights when powered by certain cars, he has just bought a new caravan with LED lights which will be hauled by his 530d.  My dad has a Westfalia loom wired to his F10 which from what I can gather will work LED lights on a trailer/caravan LED, however my BMW wiring I don't think will and what ever I tow will need ballast resisters, which get really toasty!  

I need ballast resisters wired in parallel with the LEDs to make them work with my BMW towbar wiring.  

Will need to try out my test rig on his car.

IMG_3765.jpg

Bit more experimenting to do another time to double check these new LEDs will work properly without firing off trailer light failure messages when wired up with ballast resisters.

8 hours ago, Dogshark said:

Um, oh dear ... I washed it today using foam, the two bucket method and put some more Perl on the tyres. I'll fetch me coat ...

Still struggled to get it up in mine. :ph34r:

The temp gauge that is!

IMG_3770.jpg

After 30 miles at motorway speeds, with stop start traffic and twisty B roads in 21 deg C temps and all I could muster was this.

But I wasn't driving it hard, I was trying to chill out in the drive home after the day I had at work. :(

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Still struggled to get it up in mine. :ph34r:

The temp gauge that is!

IMG_3770.jpg

After 30 miles at motorway speeds, with stop start traffic and twisty B roads in 21 deg C temps and all I could muster was this.

But I wasn't driving it hard, I was trying to chill out in the drive home after the day I had at work. :(

@535i Andrew I don't think its anything to worry about - My brother in law has a 335i which I believe has the same N55 motor as the F10. Even after sustained motorway speeds the temp needle did not exceed the temperature shown above. Must simply be a characteristic of the engine.

With the aid of the characteristic map thermostat, the coolant temperature can now be influenced specifically within this operating range (thermostat control range).

In this way it is possible to set a higher coolant temperature in the partial load range of the engine. Higher operating temperatures in the partial load range achieve improved combustion, reflected in lower fuel consumption and pollutant emission.

However, higher operating temperatures in the full load range would involve specific disadvantages (ignition timing (angle) reduction due to knocking). For this reason, lower coolant temperatures are set specifically in the full load range with the aid of the characteristic map thermostat.

WkezRsJ

Control characteristics of characteristic map cooling
1 Characteristic curve of a 110 o C thermostat
2 Characteristic curve of a characteristic map thermostat
3 Characteristic curve of an 85 o C thermostat
4 Partial load range
5 Full load range

Partial load range

With the aid of this thermostat it is possible to specifically increase the coolant temperature in the partial load range. By increasing the coolant temperature under these engine operating conditions, it is possible to reduce fuel consumption. This characteristic map thermostat is controlled by the engine control unit dependent on a characteristic map.

This characteristic map is determined by the following factors:

- Engine load
- Engine speed
- Vehicle speed
- Intake temperature
-

Coolant temperature

Function of the characteristic map thermostat

The characteristic map thermostat is designed such that it opens (engine inlet) at a coolant temperature at the thermostat of 103oC without intervention of the integrated heating system. Due to the coolant heating up in the engine, a temperature of approx. 110 o C is measured at the point the coolant flows out of the engine (installation location of coolant temperature sensor for DME and instrument cluster gauge). This is the operating temperature of the engine, at which the characteristic map thermostat begins to open without control intervention.

In the event of control intervention by the DME control unit, power (12 V) is applied to the heating element integrated in the thermostat. Heating the expansion element means that the thermostat now opens at lower coolant temperatures than would be the case without the additional heating function (thermostat control range: approx. 80oC - 103oC).

X9fDUNP

1 Opening path of the thermostat
2 Coolant temperature
3 Activation of heating element with 12 V
4 Activation of heating element with 0 V

If the coolant temperature exceeds 113oC at the engine outlet, the heating of the characteristic map thermostat is activated by the DME irrespective of the other parameters.

Diagnosis

The line connection and the function of the characteristic map thermostat are monitored by the diagnosis function in the DME control unit. Any faults are stored in the fault code memory of the DME control unit.

Coolant temperature gauge

The indicator characteristics of the coolant temperature gauge in the instrument cluster have been adapted to the higher temperature level of the engine due to the use of the characteristic map thermostat.

The pointer of the coolant temperature gauge in the instrument cluster is located in the mid-position at coolant temperatures of 75oC - 113 o C

The above explanation can be applied to current model https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim/components-connectors/components/components-with-b/b6279-characteristic-map-thermostat/XZ9IB5C

3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Not sure if i missed a previous reply but do the hidden menu temperatures support the guage?  If its genuinely runnung cold your mpg must be getting a bit of a kicking too?

Thanks @F10 530d, I'm not concerned about it as it's always done that and I know it has previously had a clean bill of health when temp gauge was doing same.

@jake13, that's terrific, I'll have a read of that again later. Thanks.

5 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Not sure if i missed a previous reply but do the hidden menu temperatures support the guage?  If its genuinely runnung cold your mpg must be getting a bit of a kicking too?

I've not been in to the hidden menu to check (will need too), but currently my car is sitting at 32.0mpg average which is the most economical figure I've seen in a car that I've driven daily.....ever. :D

The picture above was taken after the longest non stop journey I've done in mine since I first mentioned the position of my temp gauge 10 days ago or so. I'm just curious to see what it does depending on how I drive it and for what distance. I've only ever seen it vertical once and that was when I was carrying out a full in depth analysis of its performance* on its test drive before I bought it.

*ragging it ;)

Out of mine (n53) sitting at 120c and Andrews (n55) sitting at 110c for simular driving I'd say mine is running hot rather than the n55 running cool. I don't think either is wrong, just that they run differently. Had 37 and a bit mpg on Monday so it must be OK.

The cooling map info above relates to coolant temperature not oil BTW.  I realise there will be some relationship between the two especially as there is a heat exchanger involved between oil and coolant (in addition to the engine!).

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else with a n53 sees the same temperature but I'd bet it's normal. 

Not overly concerned as fully synthetic is OK up to 140c-150c sustained I believe. 

In other what did I do today I was going to wash it but have decided to go for the rat look.

2 hours ago, bmwmike said:

The cooling map info above relates to coolant temperature not oil BTW.  I realise there will be some relationship between the two especially as there is a heat exchanger involved between oil and coolant (in addition to the engine!).

Oil heats & cools slowly. If they had a coolant gauge, it would be dancing between 80c and 110c. You would all be complaining it's possessed!

Temperature profile and setpoint values

The engine control activates the heating element via a characteristic map depending on the current driving situation.

FV6uyMbs

Index# Explanation Item Explanation
1 Heater resistor not activated

Heater resistor activated
3 Time 4 Coolant temperature

Always remember too that the dash isn't actually telling you the temperature, you're being shown what the engine and dashboard coding want you to see.

Audi are a sod for this - 90 degrees on the needle in the car is actually only around 76-77 degrees actual temperature. And it'll sit bang on 90 when it creeps up until the coding deems it necessary to show you a temperature increase.

On 6/6/2018 at 9:25 AM, bmwmike said:

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else with a n53 sees the same temperature but I'd bet it’s normal.

I’m not giving mine a proper run out til next Wednesday but will report back!

I'm currently sat waiting while mine has its mot... 

First time I've driven it for about 3 weeks. 

Don't think that will help the emissions... 

So as a precaution... A bottle of cataclean and £50 of super unleaded - shell v-power.... 

2 hours ago, Saunders76 said:

£50 of super unleaded - shell v-power.... 

I filled mine up with VPower last weekend when fuel prices appeared at their highest. For £50 I would have only got 34.7 litres for that price! It was due its one every fourth tank full of VPower last fill up.  Mpg appears to be slightly better so far  on this tank. Only just dropped to below 30mpg average, given short journeys I've done today.