F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

9 hours ago, sshooie said:

Mine sat constantly on the high 90's, not quite 100, but never changed. 

Diesels do warm up quicker than petrols and I always attributed it to the block material. 

I always thought petrol warmed up quicker than derv partly due to them being less efficient than diesel so more wasted heat... or something. 

I could tell where I was in my journey in my E39 just by looking at the temp gauge. The needle was at the same position at the same locations on my daily commute. The minute I saw its temp gauge drop I knew there was a thermostat issue, that and poor heater performance.

On 5/26/2018 at 12:08 PM, Caesar said:

It's simply a cooool car. 

Yup, after 6 miles at 60 mph in 25deg C heat on the way home last night my temp needle only moved to barely over 100deg C.

image.jpg

The same journey in winter where the temp is anywhere between 25 and 30 deg C cooler, the needle won't move off its stop.

I think now because I have a useable temp gauge in the car I keep my eye on it. After all it's the most important reading on your dash.

4 minutes ago, GEO147 said:

I think there is a water temp gauge in that part of the cluster on my car?!

I doubt it. The newer BMWs all show the Oil temperature in the gauge in the cluster.

Righto. Whichever gauge is there and it must be oil. It goes straight to 100 (which is dead centre on the dial ) within a couple of miles I think, and stays there. 

Mine... 2014 plate F11 530d ... right side of the dash... OIL temp gage... rises to straight up within about 5 minutes of starting (currently 28-33c here B)) and stays there regardless of a 90kmh cruise or a 240kmh blast.

Edited by HandyAndy_UK

On 5/29/2018 at 2:56 PM, GEO147 said:

I think there is a water temp gauge in that part of the cluster on my car?!

Does your gauge not have a little picture of an oil can next to a temperature symbol?

On 5/29/2018 at 3:15 PM, GEO147 said:

Righto. Whichever gauge is there and it must be oil. It goes straight to 100 (which is dead centre on the dial ) within a couple of miles I think, and stays there. 

This exactly what you want to happen. You may now take your car above 2000 rpm without worrying ;)

6 hours ago, jannism said:

Does your gauge not have a little picture of an oil can next to a temperature symbol?

This exactly what you want to happen. You may now take your car above 2000 rpm without worrying ;)

Yep its oil I checked it last night. Hadnt noticed the oil can.

Drove it home "enthusiastically" to try and get the temp gauge up a bit more.

All I achieved was to fire off the low fuel warning. Temp gauge as per picture above......

3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

All I achieved was to fire off the low fuel warning. Temp gauge as per picture above......

Mines sat sunning itself in Gatwick long stay right now as I shelter from Orlando rain. When I get back I'll post a photo after some enthusiastic driving and I bet I can get it to 120c.

Wonder if any other n53 owners can chime in. I reckon this engine uses variable temps to support the stratified injection. The n55 OTOH only uses homogenous injection so perhaps is steadier. Or your just no drivin her hard enough. :P

Edited by bmwmike

Crawling along in very long queue on A14 yesterday with outside temperature 25 deg, oil temp rock solid at about 105deg. Didn't hear the cooling fan come on but I assume it did. 

Also, a reasonable mpg for us petrol punters, although I did reset the mpg after the jam... which was a bit of a cheat! 

20180601_205423.jpg

Just back from a de-oil and re-oil for the F11. Seriously easy on the N57.

6.5 litres of Castrol Edge 0W-30 (7l for 63 euro delivered) plus filter (10 euro) and 15 bucks for a 4 post lift and oil disposal - for over here that's damn good!

One point to note if you're doing one for the first time - the little rubber 'nipple' on the inboard end of the new filter needs to go into the recess at the 3 o'clock position in the engine. THEN position the cap (with it's new O ring), screw on by hand so you don't crossthread it and nip it up with a socket.

Data - Sump plug - 17mm - 25Nm to refit ........ filter cap - 27mm - 25 Nm to refit ......... N57D30T - 6.5 litres 0W-30 for change with filter.......... time taken - 45 mins (includes holding Jurgen's new exhaust while he picked up his dropped spanner).

Are there any places in the UK that hire out lifts/hour etc? Mind you, even if there was, I am not sure I would know where on the F11 the arms of the lift should go (unless its one of those drive on ramp type lifts) lol !!!!

Edited by nashdm2

@nashdm2There used to be, but liabilities I image put that business idea out the window. 

You would ideally use a two post lift with the arms under each jacking point.  That's the best place to lift these cars. That and the centre of the front axle. 

All I got to do this weekend on mine was put 63 litres of VPower in the tank and hoover out the boot, I lugged another 12 bags of logs home in it yesterday and they were a bit dusty.

I was having a poke around the boot to see where the best place would be to mount the Ctek panel mount socket for my charger. Still no further forward on that one.

Oh aye and since when did fuel go up by 10 pence in a month. Unleaded was just over £1.20 a litre in early May, it's now £1.319.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

All I got to do this weekend on mine was put 63 litres of VPower in the tank and hoover out the boot, I lugged another 12 bags of logs home in it yesterday and they were a bit dusty.

I was having a poke around the boot to see where the best place would be to mount the Ctek panel mount socket for my charger. Still no further forward on that one.

Oh aye and since when did fuel go up by 10 pence in a month. Unleaded was just over £1.20 a litre in early May, it's now £1.319.

I thought you were going wire up the towbar socket to enable the charging straight to the battery from the CTEK via a towbar plug harness? 

2 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

I thought you were going wire up the towbar socket to enable the charging straight to the battery from the CTEK via a towbar plug harness? 

Yes, but I have a cunning plan for inside the boot. I am going to wire up the comfort panel so I have a visual of my battery condition, so I need a suitable mount for that. Its long winded and I have a circuit diagram drawn out but no time to install.

I need to take the bumper off (to route the new wires) to wire up the additional pins in my towbar socket and then solder up the necessary connections, so I need a weekend day, free from having to take the littl'un to dancing, to her grandparents (both sets), the local farm show, the cinema, entertaing her pals......sigh.

I know that a few of you condition the batteries, but what a faff for a regularly used (decent trip) modern vehicle. The last time I charged a battery was due to the lights being left on the wife's kia whilst we were on holiday. 

On 5/31/2018 at 10:55 AM, 535i Andrew said:

Think you need a new stat! 

10 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Think you need a new stat! 

I don't think so as I haven't got the other symptoms* of stat failing that I got with my Senator and E39 when their stats failed.  

Besides as @Caesar says, it's simply a cooool car. ;)

*he says from a mechanical point of view and not checked for codes. :ph34r: