F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

6 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

had an extra load of kiln dried logs (100kg worth) in the boot while climbing the Clune Brae in Port Glasgow. 

Don't you have gas up there? 

3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Its been 23deg and all day sunshine where I am, it's the first time on restarting it I've heard the electric fan kick in to help cool things down.

I was keeping an eye on the temp gauge today, I had an extra load of kiln dried logs (100kg worth) in the boot while climbing the Clune Brae in Port Glasgow. 

Its the the highest I've seen the temp gauge go since ahem, cough the time I test drive it before I bought it. Temp Needle was nearly vertical.

No issues, but I've got the large cooling fan thanks to the towbar option.

Nearly vertical ? My oil temp gauge (which I assume you are referring to) sits at 120 when fully hot.. and that is vertical. Or do you mean something else?

8 hours ago, bmwmike said:

Nearly vertical ? My oil temp gauge (which I assume you are referring to) sits at 120 when fully hot.. and that is vertical. Or do you mean something else?

Yeah oil temp, mine never quite gets to vertical which is 120. It always sits just on the cooler side of it. No matter how enthusiastically it's driven.......

My E39 temp gauge (water) always went straight to vertical slap the middle of the scale , on the E39s the minute it went slightly to the hotter side of vertical, it was time to switch off and pray. The M52 lumps do not like getting hot.

12 hours ago, sshooie said:

Don't you have gas up there? 

Don't trust that newfangled technology. ;)

. oil temp, mine never quite gets to vertical which is 120. It always sits just on the cooler side of it. No matter how enthusiastically it's driven.

Mine too! 

7 minutes ago, Caesar said:

. oil temp, mine never quite gets to vertical which is 120. It always sits just on the cooler side of it. No matter how enthusiastically it's driven.

Mine too! 

Thats good to know, thanks. I was thinking it might have something to do with the towbar option on mine. Supposedly I have an uprated cooling system on mine to cope with the strains of towing.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

Supposedly I have an uprated cooling system on mine to cope with the strains of towing.

I'd have thought that the fan may be uprated to a higher wattage one, but tbf most modern cars don't need it. I've towed with 5 or 6 cars without upgrade or issue, temp rose a little bit, but nothing to warrant the spend imo. 

Today was the fitting of more replacements for parts damaged in the F11s former life.

Air guide - rear section. Just a simple 2 screws out, remove remaining plastic, new guide slotted in and screws replaced. Now the air coming through the front under bumper ducts should be guided correctly at the brake disc, so no more repeat of the left disc warp which caused the recent replacement of both fornt discs and pads!

Steering arms cover. More of an awkward one, but thankfully BMW make them with appropriate cuts so once the remaining fragments of the old cover are removed, the new one can be wiggled in (from below, working from centre, rotating up into the wheel well and around the various arms, rods, etc) This now closes off the wheel well from the engine bay area and has the added bonus the this cover holds the retaining 'clip/nuts' for the screws that hold the engine and mid-belly covers on. Now I don't get noise and vibration from the flapping covers above 70mph. Tested up to 150mph it's all now so smooth, it's rude! 

Half hour job. Only one wheel off required. Sorted!

6 hours ago, sshooie said:

I'd have thought that the fan may be uprated to a higher wattage one, but tbf most modern cars don't need it. I've towed with 5 or 6 cars without upgrade or issue, temp rose a little bit, but nothing to warrant the spend imo. 

Agree

If you tow within the manufacturers stated limits and tow sensibly, you shouldn't need any mods to cooling systems, suspension or transmissions.

So today I tackled the yellow grommet on my car and my dads 530d.

DSCN3827.jpg

Tackled my dads first.

DSCN3834.jpg

What horrors lurks beneath?

DSCN3843.jpg

Yup, pretty grim and evidence of a tide mark.

DSCN3847.jpg

Build up behind cover

DSCN3854.jpg

All cleaned up.

It took three attempts to get all four bolts lined up on re-assembly the one that goes in at an angle into the inner wing was quite tricky to line up.

Mine up next.

DSCN3861.jpg

It was this bolt that we struggled with on reassembly on my dads car.

DSCN3864.jpg

Yup, I reckon I could start a garden centre with all the compost and seeds that I found in there.

DSCN3871.jpg

Much the same amount of muck as under my dads cover.

DSCN3877.jpg

Cleaned up

Might went back together without any issues.

10 hours ago, Caesar said:

Mine too! 

Maybe it's engine dependent or maybe mines just fooked but I can easily get it above 120c with a bit of "pushing on". I find it goes up and down a bit in normal driving.  I'd expect that to be normal but let me know if not. It gets up to temp quickly and only varies by approx 10-15c IIRC.

Mine takes an age to get to temp, 10 miles or so at 60 mph to get up to temp but unless its really hot outside or I'm loaded up, the needle doesn't get much past the first marker line, the one halfway between 70 deg and 120 deg so around the 90-100 deg I guess.  But once its up to temp the needle doesn't move.  Well that's not true, I physically watched it drop when stuck in a queue with stop start, having stopped the engine.

I rarely call upon all 300+ horses though.

Mibbies you've just got a heavier right foot than me Mike?:D

After 5mins or so foreplay, remains rock solid vertical after that. We are talking about temperature gauges aren't we? 

If only everything in life was that reliable! :lol:

4 hours ago, SuperDave said:

After 5mins or so foreplay, remains rock solid vertical after that. We are talking about temperature gauges aren't we? 

If only everything in life was that reliable! :lol:

That seems to be the way with our diesels. Mine gets up to temperature quickly and the 12 O'clock position on mine is 100 degrees and it sits there and doesn't budge no matter what type of driving I do.

4 hours ago, SuperDave said:

We are talking about temperature gauges aren't we? 

Well I am. ;)

It took me a while to notice changing between my car and my dad's that the temp scale on the 3.0d was lower than mine.

Mine sat constantly on the high 90's, not quite 100, but never changed. 

Diesels do warm up quicker than petrols and I always attributed it to the block material. 

16 minutes ago, sshooie said:

I think my dads 530d sits just below the 100 deg marker too, like mine it's always stays on the cool side. Needle never gets to the vertical.

1 hour ago, Matthew Ashton said:

That seems to be the way with our diesels. Mine gets up to temperature quickly and the 12 O'clock position on mine is 100 degrees and it sits there and doesn't budge no matter what type of driving I do.

My filthy diesel is the same. Never budges from vertical. The initial warm up takes a while but that is what I expect from oil vs water.

9 hours ago, sshooie said:

Diesels do warm up quicker than petrols and I always attributed it to the block material. 

I always thought petrol warmed up quicker than derv partly due to them being less efficient than diesel so more wasted heat... or something. 

I could tell where I was in my journey in my E39 just by looking at the temp gauge. The needle was at the same position at the same locations on my daily commute. The minute I saw its temp gauge drop I knew there was a thermostat issue, that and poor heater performance.