F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

Agree that's stonechips so no point bothering warranty grunts.  The f10 paint is uber thin and IMO more brittle so this is par for the course.

Edited by bmwmike

Hi Andrew, as @sshooie says, just get some touch up paint and do this yourself. They are very small chips and you will probably do a far better job than chips away. My experience with them isn't a good one and personally wouldn't use them again. I had a rash scratch on the front bumper. The colour match wasn't perfect and his blending solution interacted with the non-resprayed area causing the paint to discolour. I called him back and he tried polishing the discolouration and in one area just next to the fog light managed to go through to the black plastic. He offered to take my car to a body shop and get it fixed, I declined his kind offer and told him to go away after refunding my money! When I asked him about doing the job, knowing the colour of my car he said it would be perfect. Once I had to call him back to fix his screw up he said, Silver is very difficult to match you know! I'd rather him have left the car as it was as the scratch was visible but you had to look really carefully for it. Rant over.

For this type of chip I use https://www.chipex.co.uk/shop/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwuYTYBRDsARIsAJnrUXD6FLGkhdzpPzdaTk0_fJAZtH0aScJSd-z5o4vFwogcLDjtQBra2CwaAmFjEALw_wcB

The colour match is perfect. You just need patience when applying. I had a stone chip right above the windscreen and just layered the paint on over a couple of weekends and even though you can see the repair it is so much better than the chip it is covering.

With my last job (I sound like a job hopper but it was 4 years ago and I was there for 21 years) we used to use a couple of smart repair companies and even one who used to rock up in a transit van and detach a tent spray booth from the roof. Can't remember the name but they were a big outfit. 

I remember talking to a few of them (we had them there every other week) and the experience varied wildly, from a few years to a guy who used to be a butcher and had been trained by them a few months previous. 

I think anything franchise wise will be the same tbf. 

I tried that product when I first came out Matthew, and each time I used it all the paint would come out of each chip each time. Now, it may have been me or the early release of the product? Either way, it seems the kit is better now than before.

I ordered a 50ml paint off amazon and the colour is spot on. I sometimes mix it with a bit of lacquer on larger chips/craters.

Thanks to my exploding lorry incident which I initially thought had caused one dent there are quite a few chips low down. I am wondering if I should have claimed on the insurance but ho hum live and learn etc. Been filling in the chips as I find them. I use a toothpick and fill up the chip until slightly proud - it sinks as it dries.

Edited by bmwmike

It's now a week after applying my ceramic coating so I foamed and washed the car. So much fun watching the water trying to escape an extremely hydrophobic car! Easy to dry as sheets of water take almost everything else with them! Covered with another coat of Reload sealant in case I missed a spot last week when I finished in the dark... I love how silky smooth it feels. The HydrO2 on the wheels makes them so easy to clean so I treated them again even though they didn't need it .. this stuff is just fun to use!

Then I did my wife's car with Reload 1:3 diluted Perl on the external plastics and 1:1 Perl on the tyres. Looks better than new now!

I still have my marks on the front bumper where I accidentally sanded the paint off whilst trying to wet and dry down some small scratches I had filled. Reading above, I'm wondering if the Chipex stuff would be a good enough match or if I need it done professionally. Perhaps I'll get some photos up here for opinions.

1 hour ago, Retset said:

I still have my marks on the front bumper where I accidentally sanded the paint off whilst trying to wet and dry down some small scratches I had filled. Reading above, I'm wondering if the Chipex stuff would be a good enough match or if I need it done professionally. Perhaps I'll get some photos up here for opinions.

Chipex will only help if there is a chip in the paintwork that can be filled. I tried to cover up where the paint was rubbed away where a Chipsaway genius was too vigorous with his machine polisher only to fail miserably.

Made it sing for its supper this weekend, ripped a load of tiles off the bathroom walls and loaded up 200kg of broken tiles and rubble in some multi storage buckets. Still got two more loads to go. :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Chipex will only help if there is a chip in the paintwork that can be filled. I tried to cover up where the paint was rubbed away where a Chipsaway genius was too vigorous with his machine polisher only to fail miserably.

Thanks. I feared so. My car is immaculate but the bumper is poor in a few areas, not only my pathetic attempts at bodywork. A friend has given me the details of a local bodyshop that is both very cheap and very good. Looks like I could have the entire bumper repainted for a very reasonable cost .. they did my mate's friends bumper which was broken in a few places for £150 and it is a perfect match once back on the car. I think I'll try them. Then I will use the remains of my CQuartz on it and keep putting layers on till the bottle runs out!

1 hour ago, Retset said:

Thanks. I feared so. My car is immaculate but the bumper is poor in a few areas, not only my pathetic attempts at bodywork. A friend has given me the details of a local bodyshop that is both very cheap and very good. Looks like I could have the entire bumper repainted for a very reasonable cost .. they did my mate's friends bumper which was broken in a few places for £150 and it is a perfect match once back on the car. I think I'll try them. Then I will use the remains of my CQuartz on it and keep putting layers on till the bottle runs out!

I too could do with a full bumper respray to get rid of the stone chips and failed Chipsaway attempt. I like to idea of some hardened coating to put on once painted. Remember to allow some weeks for the paint to fully harden before coating it.

I would have a 3m or similar type protection put on the front if I had something I wanted to keep mint.

In real terms I chop in after a couple of years and some gravel rash (the F11 was quite bad for it and the majority was on when i bought it as I don't sit up other cars chuffs, although now I have an Audi...) has never effected the price I've got selling on.

1 hour ago, sshooie said:

I would have a 3m or similar type protection put on the front if I had something I wanted to keep mint.

In real terms I chop in after a couple of years and some gravel rash (the F11 was quite bad for it and the majority was on when i bought it as I don't sit up other cars chuffs, although now I have an Audi...) has never effected the price I've got selling on.

You are right, for my car at 8 years old and the bumper not in a terrible condition I will probably keep the cash in my pocket.

5 hours ago, sshooie said:

How did it go?

I've read some real horror stories and really could have done with a new screen but kept putting it off.

Went OK - two fitters required on it, took about an hour. Have to remove all the scuttle panel and wipers to replace.

It started off as a chip but then in the winter a piece of ice was trapped between wiper and screen resulting in a crack. The crack and the chip then joined up and the overall crack has been getting longer ever since!

Can't wash the car for 5 days but it's pissed it down today!

Fully cleaned the screen last night and applied Aquapel on the screen.

5 hours ago, Coops said:

but it's pissed it down today!

Its been 23deg and all day sunshine where I am, it's the first time on restarting it I've heard the electric fan kick in to help cool things down.

I was keeping an eye on the temp gauge today, I had an extra load of kiln dried logs (100kg worth) in the boot while climbing the Clune Brae in Port Glasgow. 

Its the the highest I've seen the temp gauge go since ahem, cough the time I test drive it before I bought it. Temp Needle was nearly vertical.

No issues, but I've got the large cooling fan thanks to the towbar option.