F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

1 hour ago, sshooie said:

Could be worse, at least it's on the glass, I still think birds drop their guts when they think there is water below, my last 2 cars had full pan roofs and they were terrible for attracting shite.

Yup, you are right.

They bomb reflective surfaces as they think they are water, so silver cars and or windows are prime targets!

My black 6er gets dashed most days when it's clean, so I now keep a pack of baby wipes by the front door to wipe it off in the morning.

I tend to find that if I drop a baby wipe on it for about 60 seconds it will wipe straight off.

Depends if the sun is out too as this makes it too hard to wipe off and needs a longer soak.

2 hours ago, sshooie said:

Soak it, soak it and soak it again (leave a dripping wet microfibre on it and don't be tempted to wipe!), then I'd hose it off.

+1

Run a hose over it for ages to soften it.  Or power wash it off but do not rub.  Birds digest a huge amount of grit.  That's got to come back out.... 

The last thing you want to do is rub grit all over your car.

I parked my car outside my mothers hose last week and was complaining that the birds were destroying the car everytime it was clean. SO just as I was heading out to it on Saturday my mother tells me Ill be so happy as she had cleaned the two large bird craps off the car. :(

Needless to say I wasn't happy as was just about to drive to local power hose.

I had one more go at painting the stone chips and scratches on the front bumper. I cocked them up a few days ago: The wet and dry was on slightly too big a bit of wood and too low a grade (1200). I wore away the paint a few mm from the bit I was supposed to be rubbing smooth  :o

All cleaned off with IPA and new touchup applied proud. I'll leave it a week or so then flat with 2000/3000 grade and machine polish. If that doesn't work, I will have to visit somebody and pay money I guess.

I feel pretty stupid that I messed up and made a bigger mark than the one I was trying to disguise!

I want to ceramic coat the bumper like the rest of the car but can't till I sort it out ...

Made some inquiries about getting my 17" winter rims refurbished

£200 for four (painted) supplied loose from the car and left for a few days.  He will also fit me some new winter tyres at the same time.

Sounds o.k. and the finish on the ones in the showroom looked of very high quality.

Just need to wait till alter in the year when new winter tyres are made available.

lol, 20% which is pretty much OEM, cost £120 from a really top guy, he's been doing it for 13 years and I spoke with before I booked it in about the finish etc. had to wait until today for him to fit me in so he must be doing something right.

1HsqIjq89gDiUkjO7_jxnNT2sD2_idB_PE6yWLNxjp8iCgTAZwBbCL5aeUdOJl5LDUfdwkdbKhd6qqXZQP2B1IaynIQflAmjCOBqCk3bEj9UwDtDi3cLAW5CGGJ9NbKjF1hnQUJ1kXWl69Xtoyw_3C175jL6RjJFFgLUanUsrOm64w0YWp-IBlah4IqgVtj0vI0HOrrtj8n4RdpWE_X3Lfct32Jijtz67E3qx3oxbH9k8gBoNVg2Mz9kYiivOjLirTH5l8lU7zWGHu_61cQSvhTpmLzQY8llZsqVFU1AsGnoT1077PL6EMlw7zdNR73Rg3IggZiMXfkC7edYQZX9KCW7lN2Y9dyPMz-YEyvNZD2l2mKgpEAVMjDy8icPBoAcomj88TmFewOqnXfieOnZU8ysFtSk3QtV_HWUWwEJjGOP4oD6oYUMOuqLaEwSTOX95IUAyXxfLOqdBsLWych3K3sqwxwncXYPyyUIZUVSelF1EFj7uuT8gnAn515nmVtEqhDdfJtVqINJzYyvQxQD4LkvCizgvL9gTyXoGSyqDYHonLk67O678n5NHbmUBRZV6R2U9zhbi5IAMF5U_k6Kc8XFvkFLB3Apvmtzf2Vo=s894-no

Tinting my rear windows is still on my to do list. It adds an extra something to a cars looks.

On my drive home I had to turn the heating up as the aircon was just too cold.

Which to be honest is quite reassuring that it still works!

16 hours ago, sshooie said:

Oh! sorry wrong forum...

So what's the other forum like then?

Do they complain that the new 4 cylinder Diesel engine isn't as economical as expected?

Do they complain that their aircon isn't as cold as it should be?

Do they complain that the estates have saggy rear suspension?

Do they complain about having wet carpets?

Do they complain about a rattle from the top/rear of the engine?

:D

12 hours ago, sshooie said:

One of the cheapest and most effective mods imo, I've only ever had to do 3 or 4 cars but I hate driving around without them, I feel naked when cars are behind in traffic.

I am the same, if the car not tinted I feel like a fish in a bowl! :)

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

So what's the other forum like then?

Do they complain that the new 4 cylinder Diesel engine isn't as economical as expected?

Do they complain that their aircon isn't as cold as it should be?

Do they complain that the estates have saggy rear suspension?

Do they complain about having wet carpets?

Do they complain about a rattle from the top/rear of the engine?

:D

I’ll add EGR coolers to that list. At least they don’t have runflats to moan about. 

Im a member of the Audi A2 forum and it’s a great place to be. 

15 hours ago, sshooie said:

lol, 20% which is pretty much OEM, cost £120 from a really top guy, he's been doing it for 13 years and I spoke with before I booked it in about the finish etc. had to wait until today for him to fit me in so he must be doing something right.

1HsqIjq89gDiUkjO7_jxnNT2sD2_idB_PE6yWLNxjp8iCgTAZwBbCL5aeUdOJl5LDUfdwkdbKhd6qqXZQP2B1IaynIQflAmjCOBqCk3bEj9UwDtDi3cLAW5CGGJ9NbKjF1hnQUJ1kXWl69Xtoyw_3C175jL6RjJFFgLUanUsrOm64w0YWp-IBlah4IqgVtj0vI0HOrrtj8n4RdpWE_X3Lfct32Jijtz67E3qx3oxbH9k8gBoNVg2Mz9kYiivOjLirTH5l8lU7zWGHu_61cQSvhTpmLzQY8llZsqVFU1AsGnoT1077PL6EMlw7zdNR73Rg3IggZiMXfkC7edYQZX9KCW7lN2Y9dyPMz-YEyvNZD2l2mKgpEAVMjDy8icPBoAcomj88TmFewOqnXfieOnZU8ysFtSk3QtV_HWUWwEJjGOP4oD6oYUMOuqLaEwSTOX95IUAyXxfLOqdBsLWych3K3sqwxwncXYPyyUIZUVSelF1EFj7uuT8gnAn515nmVtEqhDdfJtVqINJzYyvQxQD4LkvCizgvL9gTyXoGSyqDYHonLk67O678n5NHbmUBRZV6R2U9zhbi5IAMF5U_k6Kc8XFvkFLB3Apvmtzf2Vo=s894-no

Have you done the full load down write up of the new motor?

1 hour ago, E39touring said:

Have you done the full load down write up of the new motor?

I never did one on the F11...

Here's a brief list

Pro's

Styling

Matrix LED lights

Mem seats

Parks itself

S Tronic is very smooth and quick to change (see cons)

Front camera (see cons)

Effortless power, (see cons)

Sure footed

V6

Cabin is very quiet due to the acoustic glass

Cabin feels very light and airy compared to the black F11

Bose is very loud @ 600w (see cons)

HUD

Driver info display is excellent and makes up for the slightly smaller MMI screen (as I can split info across)

Touchpad for the nav etc is very usefull and accurate, luckily I'm left (cack) handed though, it's a small multi function pad on the centre console that you can write on or select buttons etc.

Currently sitting @ 40ish mpg even after I've coded stop/start off

Google maps, wifi etc

Real space saver

Con's (compared to the F11)

Bose is devoid of any real bass, I'm currently installing an additional sub in the boot, the current one wraps around the spare wheel under the boot ffs

Keep exceeding the speed limit

Steering is very light, I'm used to it now but it's not as engaging as the F11

Surround view camera quality is poor, adequate, but poor in comparison to anything else I've had, in fact I replaced the F11 side view camera because it was blurry, but it was better than the A7

I miss the programmable buttons, there is only one programmable button in the A7

I miss the electronic gear selector, having to 'move' the gear selector is meh!

The 'creep' on the ZF is better on the F11

I liked the twitchyness of the F11 when gunning it round corners (weird I know)

I miss the engine noise of the F11

That's about tit really from the top of my head, still learning bits about the A7 so I'm sure my mind will alter.

Washed it this morning.

For the first tine this year I think, I had time to use the two bucket method.

I previously just washed it with a power washer and snow foam then power wash the snow foam off for a contactless wash. But that shows as it's got some stubborn deposits that now need a more intensive clean and I discovered two pin head bits of rust on the lower art of the rear drivers door :angry:  I wonder if that's covered by the anti corrosion warranty?