F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

Took it to the beach. Then had some excitement on the way back as a lorry up ahead suddenly starts smoking thick black smoke from the exhaust and as I'm overtaking there is a huge bang. Huge. The entire car shook violently and felt like something had hit it. Lorry is straight over onto the hard shoulder. I pulled over to the HS about half a km later once it was safe to do so. Small dent in the side of the door, relieved to not see more damage and if it had been a metre higher it would have hit a passenger through the window. 

Crazy. Never had that happen before! Guess his engine exploded or certain ly sounded and felt like that. I think most of what hit us what air wave/shock wave.

Edited by bmwmike

Near miss, glad every one is OK, a few miles from me a van pulled to the end of the M62 slip road, stopped and the driver was found dead. It transpired a lorry travelling around the roundabout clipped a bolt on the road and flicked it up, it went through the side window and into the van drivers neck,he bled out. 

I hate changing dipped beam bulbs on my car. 

Firstly  it’s a reminder that I don’t have xenons and secondly I do something stupid every single time to make an easy job hard.

Last time I replaced the old bulb with... ...you guessed it, the old bulb.

This evening while struggling to fit my chubby hands into the world’s smallest gap to undo perhaps the tightest fitting bulb holder I managed to drop my phone (had been using as a torch) down under the headlight into the bumper necessitating a quick tool change to take the arch liner off.

God only knows how I used to do half the stuff I did to my old mg midget at university - is it possible to entirely lose mechanical ability?

43 minutes ago, Bartonbarton said:

I hate changing dipped beam bulbs on my car. 

Firstly  it’s a reminder that I don’t have xenons and secondly I do something stupid every single time to make an easy job hard.

Last time I replaced the old bulb with... ...you guessed it, the old bulb.

This evening while struggling to fit my chubby hands into the world’s smallest gap to undo perhaps the tightest fitting bulb holder I managed to drop my phone (had been using as a torch) down under the headlight into the bumper necessitating a quick tool change to take the arch liner off.

God only knows how I used to do half the stuff I did to my old mg midget at university - is it possible to entirely lose mechanical ability?

Love it... Very funny! Hope you retrieved the phone unscathed.

9 hours ago, markprior said:

whats next ? mine is away in june for a 6 gran coupe

I'd have loved a 6gc but needed some sort of hatch for the dog so went with the A7

Edited by sshooie

10 hours ago, Bartonbarton said:

No but in your defence your MG will have been much easier to fix, easier to get at bits that need fixing and could be fixed by the side of the road with a hammer and a spanner. Not a laptop and a cable.

Depends on the job but some new cars are a nightmare to even replace a bulb on, some are wheel off jobs or whole headlight out just to put a new bulb in.

Mental.:blink:

How do I know if I have power mirrors. No button to fold them in on drivers door = not powered? Can they be manually folded, tried earlier and felt like it was taking too much force so gave up!

Edited by GEO147

They fold if you have that as an option or it is included as part of other options like the surround view pack I think. Run your vin thru a vin checker site.

They power fold by holding down the lock button, well that's how they work on my mums F30, not had them on a F10 that I've driven.

Mine will push fold. There is a point of resistance that needs to be overcome but it's not that much effort. Beyond that point they are quite easy to push. They rotate slightly upwards too.

Had my brake fluid changed at Cotswold BMW's new 'flagship' premises. Very impressive, especially the coffee area, complete with a barista to make me flat whites to accompany the tasty pastries! It was as good as a coffee place you might visit in town except everything is free and then there is a nice selection of M cars to wander around afterwards! OK, granted I effectively paid for my coffees with main dealer fluid change prices but I need to keep the warranty alive.

It was £70, BTW. I have no idea how that compares with elsewhere.

1 minute ago, sshooie said:

Come on, you don't really believe that...

I do. It was nice coffee. Then I looked at an M4 GTS with cage etc. which is better than listening to small children howl in Costa :lol:

Edit: Or do you mean the 'free' bit? I am well aware who really paid for the coffee which is why I had plenty. So, I needed the loo and that was posh too, with individual rolled up towels ec!

Edited by Retset

33 minutes ago, Retset said:

was £70, BTW. I have no idea how that compares with elsewhere.

A few quid more than a decent indy but cheaper than Halliwell Jones who wanted £99!

Just check your locking wheel nut, thats another £20 to replace, mine disappeared while at the local $tealer but realised months later- quite tricky to argue. 

Edited by SuperDave

5 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Just check your locking wheel nut, thats another £20 to replace, mine disappeared while at the local $tealer but realised months later- quite tricky to argue. 

My OCD means I check for that very item before I leave the forecourt. 

Thankfully i have two locking wheel bolt keys. The replacement set of locking wheel bolts I bought came with two keys. One in the car and one in a safe place at home.

6 hours ago, Retset said:

I do. It was nice coffee. Then I looked at an M4 GTS with cage etc. which is better than listening to small children howl in Costa :lol:

Edit: Or do you mean the 'free' bit? I am well aware who really paid for the coffee which is why I had plenty. So, I needed the loo and that was posh too, with individual rolled up towels ec!

My father in law took a dump at Barons Cambridge a few weeks ago, and the place got evacuated shortly after as the fire alarm went off.

We are ALL still paying for that!

14 minutes ago, goram said:

My father in law took a dump at Barons Cambridge a few weeks ago, and the place got evacuated shortly after as the fire alarm went off.

We are ALL still paying for that!

To be fair, he should have got out of the X5 first.

Discovered that the side pocket/tray/compartment in the right hand side of the boot is the perfect size to safely transport home my full 5l jerry can.

image.jpg

No worries about spilling the contents, even though it's supposedly a spill proof can.