F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

27 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Its a silent recall......

some other info here too.

Dealers are mixed on it.  Some will admit its a recall others no way.  Most have got theirs done under a warranty.  Mine was, as was my dad's. 

Fair enough my dealer called it a recall!! Mine was changed under warranty in 2015 by the previous owner at another dealer but calling my local it’s flagged up it needs changing so I’m not going to argue.

1 minute ago, robsey29 said:

Fair enough my dealer called it a recall!! Mine was changed under warranty in 2015 by the previous owner at another dealer but calling my local it’s flagged up it needs changing so I’m not going to argue.

Has it failed again?  Or the change in 2015 wasn't documented so when its hit the dealer system again its flagged up?

5 hours ago, Caesar said:

Hope it's just a regas. Lucky to have a mobile aircon guy near me who does a great job.

Had to replace the condenser after it had been holed last year. I added a sheet of mesh in front of it. Hardly visible from the front of the car. They're very vulnerable to stones and debris. 

If I get another 5 (33% chance @ the mo) then i will strongly consider this, this is the first car I've had with a condensor issue, i appreciate they need to be in the airstream but come on, lower the mesh gauge ffs.

4 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Has it failed again?  Or the change in 2015 wasn't documented so when its hit the dealer system again its flagged up?

When I brought the car it was not working but a regas sorted it. I would imagine it was not documented when it was done in 2015. I have a feeling mind you I will drop the car off and they will say sorry sir you have the updated condenser already so no need to change it.

When putting the car into manual shifting and using the flappy paddles  is there a way to take 100% control and not let the computer change up?

The computer will only change up if you are in danger of over revving it. I've over downshifted in error and hit 2nd but it was still within its rev limits just. 

If it's in D and you use the paddles for a shift, and then don't touch the throttle or you brake or you come to a stop the computer takes over and you default back to D.

There is a difference between post and pre LCi boxes though.

21 minutes ago, GEO147 said:

When putting the car into manual shifting and using the flappy paddles  is there a way to take 100% control and not let the computer change up?

No, fail safe built in to protect the system, and it is still an automatic gearbox even though they 'let' you have a play at changing like an automated manual. 

"let youhave a play" lol

B*stards, so not like the smg inn the E46 M3 then. But the box is so good there isn't really a need. What the fooook is Sport +? I don't have it but can code it in?

8 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

The computer will only change up if you are in danger of over revving it. I've over downshifted in error and hit 2nd but it was still within its rev limits just. 

If it's in D and you use the paddles for a shift, and then don't touch the throttle or you brake or you come to a stop the computer takes over and you default back to D.

There is a difference between post and pre LCi boxes though.

Right so can only be of use on the twistiest of roads where you are making lots of inputs then!

What revs does your boxes send the engine to when you kickdown?  In manual mode I've often been surprised that kickdown changes to a gear which is right near the red line and then changes up. The box doesn't seem shy of 7000rpm even when stone cold.

The only time I use the paddles is for the first 200yds on a morning to keep the revs down as I drive off from home, otherwise it likes to sit at c2k revs due to the slight incline. Otherwise I let the expensive gearbox and software do the work. 

1 hour ago, sshooie said:

The only time I use the paddles is for the first 200yds on a morning to keep the revs down as I drive off from home, otherwise it likes to sit at c2k revs due to the slight incline. Otherwise I let the expensive gearbox and software do the work. 

Lol, It's meant to rev high when from a cold start. It warms up the engine and your DPF to make it all work better.

My Senator used to drive me nuts in the cold, it wouldn't engage the TC lock up until the engine (and its cats) were fully warmed up.

9 hours ago, GEO147 said:

Right so can only be of use on the twistiest of roads where you are making lots of inputs then!

No it gives you a good while before shifting back into D. 

9 hours ago, bmwmike said:

The box doesn't seem shy of 7000rpm even when stone cold.

Still don't like it. I've kicked down to overtake with a cold engine and box and yup, it lets the engine scream right up to the redline. That can't be good......but the computer says o.k.

13 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Still don't like it. I've kicked down to overtake with a cold engine and box and yup, it lets the engine scream right up to the redline. That can't be good......but the computer says o.k.

Agree. It's definitely not good. First time it happened I was shocked but now know to avoid it. I find myself driving in either eco D (traffic jam) or manual these days because for whatever reason I'm starting to find normal D and DS very annoying.  Wrong gear, too slow.. can't read my mind basically.  I don't think anything wrong with the car, it's me.. probably missing a manual.

5 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

I'm starting to find normal D and DS very annoying.  Wrong gear, too slow.. can't read my mind basically.  I don't think anything wrong with the car, it's me.. probably missing a manual.

And why is that?

Too many gears, that's why. You don't need 8 speeds with my engine or yours.

I use the paddles all the time to slow the car down. I drive my wife's auto and the first thing I do on approaching a bend is reach for the non existent paddles, but as it has a more sensible number of gears, 6, it's o.k.

I have an LCi and the gearbox is better, it predicts the gear changes via the nav information and its generally just better.

3 hours ago, E39touring said:

I have an LCi and the gearbox is better, it predicts the gear changes via the nav information and its generally just better.

Yeah, in reading the comments above I was thinking that it didn't sound like my gearbox which is LCi and feels great to me. I find it smooth and rarely find it in the wrong gear. But im used to always using paddles from the SMG as auto mode in E46 M3 was TERRIBLE

6 hours ago, bmwmike said:

Agree. It's definitely not good. First time it happened I was shocked but now know to avoid it. I find myself driving in either eco D (traffic jam) or manual these days because for whatever reason I'm starting to find normal D and DS very annoying.  Wrong gear, too slow.. can't read my mind basically.  I don't think anything wrong with the car, it's me.. probably missing a manual.

You should try a Hyundai dual clutch gearbox, I bet you won't find yours nearly as annoying after that. :lol:

Tbh I was probably not describing my frustration too well. The box is fine and it's fine in auto modes but sometimes I like to hang onto the revs and make use of the power band and other times I like to pootle or perhaps engine brake. What I'd like is for the box to change mode depending on how I see the road ahead.  And for that,I doubt even an LCI would be able to read my mind. 

It's like the box is setup for a diesel and only exploits a small part of the power and torque range of the engine unless I'm absolutely gunning it and then the engine doesn't drop below 4.5krpm. It's like jekyll and Hyde all or nothing whereas i like to flick between the two more frequently.

Dunno maybe that doesn't explain it. As I said it's me, not a fault.

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

An SMG is meant to be driven like you stole it, it's a manual box with an automated clutch. It will never be as good as a full waftomatic even in 'auto' mode. 

Correct and agreed

6 hours ago, bmwmike said:

Tbh I was probably not describing my frustration too well. The box is fine and it's fine in auto modes but sometimes I like to hang onto the revs and make use of the power band and other times I like to pootle or perhaps engine brake. What I'd like is for the box to change mode depending on how I see the road ahead.  And for that,I doubt even an LCI would be able to read my mind. 

It's like the box is setup for a diesel and only exploits a small part of the power and torque range of the engine unless I'm absolutely gunning it and then the engine doesn't drop below 4.5krpm. It's like jekyll and Hyde all or nothing whereas i like to flick between the two more frequently.

Dunno maybe that doesn't explain it. As I said it's me, not a fault.

Have you tried just pushing the stick over to the left to put it in S?

Edited by AndyM
wrong way!

4 hours ago, bmwmike said:

It's like the box is setup for a diesel and only exploits a small part of the power and torque range of the engine

You are correct it's been designed for the mass market 520d. If there wasn't 8 speeds in it, you wouldn't get the performance out of a 5 Series that you should expect from a 5 Series. 8 speeds allows Mr 520d to get off the lights quicker than Doris in her 1.0 Fiesta.  If you have ever driven a manual 520d and missed a gear change you will now be reading Doris's rear number plate.

Due to its very short useful rev range it needs 8 speeds to stay on the power to get the desired performance from a BMW.

Put an extra pair of cylinders onto the engine and its transformed into a great cruiser.