F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

Ok so I have established that I have NBT Next 2014 Europe Maps in the Nav, and I have purchased the appropriate 2018 Maps online. The instructions for install say I need a 64gb usb stick to install but I am wondering if I can use and external USB powered hard drive? Anyone know if that's possible?

Also, I have separately downloaded the software update for my vin from BMW, which should I update first? Everything works with my Galaxy S7 edge (Bluetooth voice and streaming)  but I have no phone apps when I onnect the phone up. Will this update sort that or is connected drive useless with android?

Edited by GEO147

Whilst driving mine today in temps of above 12 deg, the first time since July 2016, I thought that I should really change my wheels to summers.

So with that in mine I managed to get two coats of Poorboys Wheel sealent on the front rims and a coat on the rear rims.

Out of the tyre storage bag the first 351 front.

image.jpg

I hadn't even managed to fully buff out the wax from last year.  That's survived several power washes and a scrub with Bilt Hamber.  Must be good stuff.

image.jpg

First coat of Poorboys on and waiting to dry.

image.jpg

Buffed to a sheen. Only three more wheels to do but I'll put a couple of coats on.

image.jpg

So which roundel was bought from China last March and been on these wheels for no more than 7 months and 3,500 miles and which roundel was made in 2012 and has been on the winter wheels for 4 winters and done circa 18,000 miles?

57 minutes ago, GEO147 said:

Ok so I have established that I have NBT Next 2014 Europe Maps in the Nav, and I have purchased the appropriate 2018 Maps online. The instructions for install say I need a 64gb usb stick to install but I am wondering if I can use and external USB powered hard drive? Anyone know if that's possible?

Also, I have separately downloaded the software update for my vin from BMW, which should I update first? Everything works with my Galaxy S7 edge (Bluetooth voice and streaming)  but I have no phone apps when I onnect the phone up. Will this update sort that or is connected drive useless with android?

I use a small USB powered external HDD for my NAV updates - HU_CIC system.

The software download you are referring to is released by BMW when there are Bluetooth connectivity compatibility issues with new phones brought to market. You aren't going to suddenly get more features than you already have I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, Matthew Ashton said:

The software download you are referring to is released by BMW when there are Bluetooth connectivity compatibility issues with new phones brought to market. You aren't going to suddenly get more features than you already have I'm afraid.

Ok should be same with NBT? How long will it take? Engine running?

8 hours ago, GEO147 said:

Ok should be same with NBT? How long will it take? Engine running?

NBT Nav updates take around 45 minutes usually and the ignition needs to be on, but the engine doesn't need to be running. To avoid the car turning the unit off while its updating, it's usually best to do it during a long drive somewhere.

Buffed off the wheel wax I left on my 351s last night and liberally applied two coatings of Carlack 68 sealant to the insides to limit the attack of brake dust.

image.jpg

Didn't get time to fit them. That's tomorrow mornings job along with checking front brake pad thickness.

Edited by 535i Andrew

Don't forget to get a couple of coats of wheel black on the rubber before putting them back on, nothing beats a tidy coat of tyre black (especially when you know the inside has been done and no one will ever see it - weird sort of satisfaction plus nourishes the rubber but don't forget the tyre valve! lol)

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:29 PM, Matthew Ashton said:

All updated, thanks Matt you saved me €30 I was about to spend on a 64gb USB thumb  drive.

Separately I've checked the OM to see what a switch in boot on RHS does but cant find any info. I only noticed it tonight and it looks to have a + and - sign on it?

3 minutes ago, GEO147 said:

Separately I've checked the OM to see what a switch in boot on RHS does but cant find any info. I only noticed it tonight and it looks to have a + and - sign on it?

Is that not just a 12v socket under a cover with the + and - printed on it?

Edited by Matthew Ashton

Just now, Matthew Ashton said:

Is that not just a 12v socket under a cover with the + and - printed on it?

Right yeah. Did mention it in manual, I thought perhaps it was an electric switch for moving the rear seat deck forward and back lol

1 hour ago, sanjx said:

Don't forget to get a couple of coats of wheel black on the rubber before putting them back on, nothing beats a tidy coat of tyre black (especially when you know the inside has been done and no one will ever see it - weird sort of satisfaction plus nourishes the rubber but don't forget the tyre valve! lol)

I did the outsides of the front tyres. I didn't do the backs of the tyres as I got a grip of my OCD by that time of afternoon plus when the tyre is wet with the wheel black stuff it leaves a horrible black residue on everything it touches. I had to stack them back in my garage and didn't want everything covered in tyre black.

Good evening folks,

I updated the iDrive software on my F10 MN-002.039.071 via USB UPD05074 is the latest apparently, but this just included an ADD-ON :( 

Air cons on the blink again so booked it in to a garage near the in laws so I could have it done today when I collected the dog. Got there @ 3:30 bang on schedule to be told "ah sorry we ran out of gas this morning" yeah not think to call me, chumps. 

Anyway quick call around and currently sitting waiting for garage #2 to sort it. 

Hopefully (and I doubt it) it's just a recharge as I'm off to France in the morning but I suspect it'll be another new condensor... 

Hope it's just a regas. Lucky to have a mobile aircon guy near me who does a great job.

Had to replace the condenser after it had been holed last year. I added a sheet of mesh in front of it. Hardly visible from the front of the car. They're very vulnerable to stones and debris. 

I recharged my AC on a few previous cars with this sort of thing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Conditioning-recharger-Auto-Freeze-Ultra/dp/B004XZPANK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524065589&sr=8-1&keywords=air+con+recharge

I know it's not generally recommended but it certainly was more convenient.

Well they've regassed it but there was no refrigerant in the system so as I suspected its leaking somewhere. I'll see how long it lasts, a week would be good any more is a bonus. 

£50, which seems to be the going rate around here although the first chumps were going to be £35 but irrelevant now. 

1 hour ago, sshooie said:

Well they've regassed it but there was no refrigerant in the system so as I suspected its leaking somewhere. I'll see how long it lasts, a week would be good any more is a bonus. 

£50, which seems to be the going rate around here although the first chumps were going to be £35 but irrelevant now. 

There is a recall on changing the condenser have you had yours done?

mine is in next week to be changed as a recall.

2 hours ago, robsey29 said:

There is a recall on changing the condenser have you had yours done?

mine is in next week to be changed as a recall.

Its a silent recall......

some other info here too.

Dealers are mixed on it.  Some will admit its a recall others no way.  Most have got theirs done under a warranty.  Mine was, as was my dad's. 

Agree - My first dealer (near home) a couple of years ago told me my car was not affected (range of vin numbers). Same car but a different dealer (near work) said it was and replaced under warranty/recall, no quibble.

As said it is a soft recall. I mentioned on both occasions that I was concerned about the chill factor. 

Edited by bee

Busy morning tinkering with the car.  Summer wheels to be fitted and a bit of investigation on sudden front brake pad wear.

Tools out.

DSCN3786.jpg

The foam pad is for me knee's.  I'm nearly 40 now...:(

DSCN3787.jpg

I measured the outer pads on both front wheels and there is at least 5 mm of friction material left.  Which isn't desperately thin and I'm not going to suddenly loose braking performance but will need changing soon.

DSCN3789.jpg

However, ahem, the discs are a bit thin......

DSCN3790.jpg

Bit of a lip.

DSCN3793.jpg

Before fitting the summer wheels, I greased the hub spigot with a bit of copper grease.  After previously wire brushing the hubs clean and greasing when I fitted my winters, they came off the hub without issue this morning.

Wheels fitted.

DSCN3794.jpg

Nice and shiny.

image.jpg

Just need to clean the rest of the car.

image.jpg

Also noticed that the offside rear brake caliper bleed nipple cover was not fitted but lying loose.  Brake fluid was changed by dealer in December last year so hopefully not too much muck has got into the nipple.  I'll bleed the system when I change the front brakes.