Jump to content
F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

Haha quite. Though they are much more reliable these days. It's got latest injectors (index 11) and the HPFP is the same as the n55. The coilpacks are cheap. NOx sensor failure is in the post for sure but I'm not fitting OEM anyway.  The coolant pump is the same as N55 and that is 500 quid but an ok DIY.  Rest of the engine pretty solid. There is a lot of n53 knowledge on the Internet.

 

On the flipside I've found my local dealers are not very familiar with this engine anyway.

 

I had intended to switch to an m5 but I looked at one on the weekend and I've been put off a bit. Also looking at youtube videos of m5 reviews and reading the M badge thread on PH has given me an ahhhlright bruv wots appening innit impression that I need to shake.

 

So "what did I do to my f10 today" well I decided to keep it longer. Hence a bit of strategising around risk v. warranty.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ive just had the HPFP done on mine... 

NOX sensor needs doing, but there genuine dealer parts only... So it can wait for now. 

Other than that, mines been fine (touch wood) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Saunders76 said:

Ive just had the HPFP done on mine... 

NOX sensor needs doing, but there genuine dealer parts only... So it can wait for now. 

Other than that, mines been fine (touch wood) 

 

Interesting... what were the symptoms and cost if you don't mind saying?

 

Nox I'm going to put a NOXEM in instead of the OEM. See bimmerprofs.

Edited by bmwmike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, E39touring said:

There is a value line kit available, 

 

Sure is for pads and wear sensor.  Requested price from Cotswolds for discs too for which I am prepared to 

 

2 hours ago, sshooie said:

Brace yourself...

 

As its the thicker discs which are side specific, not the milk bottle tops you get on the 530ds.:P

 

3 hours ago, bmwmike said:

On the flipside I've found my local dealers are not very familiar with this engine anyway.

 

My dealer is the same.  "A petrol BMW", sharp intake of breath, "we don't get many of them in here Sir".......

 

Vehicle Check service is pretty much an MOT test plus engine checks but they can charge at their full hours labour rate and not the knock down MOT rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had an intermediate oil service carried out and the front disc pads changed at 60000 miles - discs still fine.

 

Summer wheels got a coating of rim wax ready to go on tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, E39mad said:

 

Summer wheels got a coating of rim wax ready to go on tomorrow.

Are you guaranteeing an improvement in the weather? If so, I'll get the summers back on our Clubman! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends where you live - looking good for NE Cheshire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Saunders76 said:

Well I got the pump from work (I work at ECP) and it was a genuine pump that we supply cost just under £600....and fitting was £120

 

I don't know about the noxem..... 

 

Is that the employer rates ECP ? I just had a look for mine and it was over 1k.

 

What were your symptoms and who diagnosed HPFP failure, as I understand it they are very reliable these days. "Very" meaning about as reliable as modern mass produced crap gets these days.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bmwmike said:

 

Is that the employer rates ECP ? I just had a look for mine and it was over 1k.

 

What were your symptoms and who diagnosed HPFP failure, as I understand it they are very reliable these days. "Very" meaning about as reliable as modern mass produced crap gets these days.

 

 

Yeah staff price.... But can do decent discount if anyone needs one. 

 

Symptom was....  on idle with temp gauge in the middle (normal running temperature) it would just run out of revs... And stall. 

Even blipping the throttle wouldn't keep it going. 

Oddly though it would fire straight back up again.... And never did it while actually driving. 

 

Took it to my local BMW specialist, who are both 'M' trained master techs. 

The guy said it was very common on the earlier models and the pump was basically the same. He'd not seen it on the F10/F11 models as mine was one of the first petrols they had in (apart from the M5's) 

All seems to be sorted now.... Just a NOX sensor to do when I have some spare money.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So can anyone explain what the main difference is between N47 and B47 in the F10/F11? Are all 520d F11 with B47 190bhp?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

B47 is a post Jul 2014 build. Totally new design engine with 190BHP

N47 is a pre Jul 2014 build, 183BHP (I think).

 

B47 is a better engine in nearly every department apart from MPG where is falls some way short of the N47 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Saunders76 said:

Yeah staff price.... But can do decent discount if anyone needs one. 

 

Symptom was....  on idle with temp gauge in the middle (normal running temperature) it would just run out of revs... And stall. 

Even blipping the throttle wouldn't keep it going. 

Oddly though it would fire straight back up again.... And never did it while actually driving. 

 

Took it to my local BMW specialist, who are both 'M' trained master techs. 

The guy said it was very common on the earlier models and the pump was basically the same. He'd not seen it on the F10/F11 models as mine was one of the first petrols they had in (apart from the M5's) 

All seems to be sorted now.... Just a NOX sensor to do when I have some spare money.... 

 

Thanks for the info. 

 

It's the first I've heard of a late n53 having an HPFP failure. BMW replaced lots in the early days though. The m5 has two of those pumps!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nashdm2 said:

B47 is a post Jul 2014 build. Totally new design engine with 190BHP

N47 is a pre Jul 2014 build, 183BHP (I think).

 

B47 is a better engine in nearly every department apart from MPG where is falls some way short of the N47 

B47 is Euro 6 compliant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GEO147 said:

So can anyone explain what the main difference is between N47 and B47 in the F10/F11? Are all 520d F11 with B47 190bhp?

 

The B47 has a timing chain that so far is proving to be much more reliable in service than the one in the N47.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

 

The B47 has a timing chain that so far is proving to be much more reliable in service than the one in the N47.

Yeah I was aware of that and is a major reason why I chose the car I did. Going to see and hopefully pick up tomorrow. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it's a gloriously sunny weekend over here so time for a recce for the next batch of refits in my ex Kent RPU F11.

Concentrating in the front passenger footwell there's always been something missing under the carpet. Getting the seat out reveals the void left after a couple of police specific units were removed. Identified parts so far are the rear vent and a foam filler block. That's around 60 euros over here, so not the end of the world.IMG_20180414_112547.thumb.jpg.edba09ec9df5ec950d7ad579b323eb2a.jpg

 

While the seat was out of the way I took the opportunity to replace the cabin filters. Easy 5 minute job - removed footwell trim panel below the glovebox, 4 screws out, cover off, two filters out (noting airflow direction markers), two new Mahle filters in, close and secure cover, replace trim panel. Job done. 

Just for those unsure, I took a couple of pics showing the filters location and the 4 cover screws.IMG_20180414_113820.thumb.jpg.4edce505f47986da24e1a535cc69027c.jpgIMG_20180414_113830.thumb.jpg.7ecd78e05c869083a5fff759d3ba378c.jpgIMG_20180414_114120.thumb.jpg.58678347153ac1da3c6eb00b7902254a.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So collected the car yesterday. Car was in better condition than it looked online so even better than I thought. I'd give it 9/10 and I have OCD. Can't believe how good a car these are. Thought I'd be really disappointed in the power drop from the S54 342bhp engine to the B47 190bhp, bit the M3 had no torque. The power in the 520 is very impressive and very usable, I love it. 

The fit and finish and the equipment in these cars really is something special. 

Had to drive it from Plymouth to Fishguard to get it home. The traffic in the UK really is horrendous lads, never experienced anything like it before. 

So have to pay the VRT on it now of €4,300 approx

Will be scouring this thread for more tips on these 5 series. NB. The carpets are dry :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GEO147 said:

So collected the car yesterday. Car was in better condition than it looked online so even better than I thought. I'd give it 9/10 and I have OCD. Can't believe how good a car these are. Thought I'd be really disappointed in the power drop from the S54 342bhp engine to the B47 190bhp, bit the M3 had no torque. The power in the 520 is very impressive and very usable, I love it. 

The fit and finish and the equipment in these cars really is something special. 

Had to drive it from Plymouth to Fishguard to get it home. The traffic in the UK really is horrendous lads, never experienced anything like it before. 

So have to pay the VRT on it now of €4,300 approx

Will be scouring this thread for more tips on these 5 series. NB. The carpets are dry :)

 

Partly why I left ireland - robbing barstewards

 

Congrats on the car.. enjoy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×