Arrived at the NEC, in a truck as the roads around here have been gritted for a couple of nights.

26515320859_614f748b13_b.jpg

and parked on the Meguiar's stand

26515321999_48e5c9241f_b.jpg

Parked next to a Vauxhall PA Vellox, just slightly different cars!

26515321319_b1bba49c85_b.jpg

Dribbling, licking or any other action involving bodily fluids, strictly prohibited!

Early start tomorrow, need to be there before 9:00am.

I have one spare wrist band for entry to the show tomorrow.  If anyone wants it, as before 1st come 1st served, PM me and I'll arrange to meet you tomorrow.

49 minutes ago, RichardP said:

I have one spare wrist band for entry to the show tomorrow.  If anyone wants it, as before 1st come 1st served, PM me and I'll arrange to meet you tomorrow.

Very generous of you Richard; sadly I can't make it but I hope some forum member can.

I have seen this in the flesh today and wow. It's even better than the pictures. I hadn't realised how low the mileage was you must have done half of them? Awesome car and a great show too..

Sorry to have missed you, I was about most of the time but I kept quite a low profile.

I’ll be there again today, definitely arround mid day as that’s when the winner is announced. It won’t be me, they were quite secretive about what they were looking for but assuming it’s based on how clean the car is, as some of the cars there never get driven (one has done 4 miles since a total rebuild) they will be cleaner than the M1.

As I PM'd you... it was great to see the M1 in the flesh. It looked really fantastic. I was sorry not to be able to bump into you ... I should have asked for your mobile number! Anyway, the Meguiars stand guys were very friendly but they did stop me licking it .... :blink:

As expected, it did not win. The engine and front compartment were the areas that let it down, I’m not in the least suppressed looking at the other cars. A Mini won.

The fact that your car gets driven and is still in such spectacular condition is a huge credit to you. I wouldn't lose a moments sleep about losing a subjective judgement against a garage queen.

Hope you had an enjoyable weekend anyway.

Edited by sharkfan

13 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Was it just the cars on the

meguires stand?

Just the cars on the Meguiar's stand. 

13 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Do they take into account that you could more or less build a new mini from available spares if you wished? A new m1 or the Vauxhall next to you not so easy.  

No, not at all.  It's just cleanliness as far as I could ascertain, and as my brake pipes are coated in underseal to protect them in the front compartment where the servo is, and not polished to a high shine, that was the end of that!

13 hours ago, Retset said:

The pink Mini?

Yes, the pink mini, not the blue one or the metro.  They seem to like mini's, last years mini was the countryman that was in the entrance to hall 1.  I saw that arriving, the tyres were wrapped in cling film!

12 hours ago, sharkfan said:

The fact that your car gets driven and is still in such spectacular condition is a huge credit to you. I wouldn't lose a moments sleep about losing a subjective judgement against a garage queen.

Hope you had an enjoyable weekend anyway.

I don't loose any sleep!  :)  Of course it would be nice to win, but it was very obvious that I wouldn't stand a chance after seeing just a couple of the other cars.  The show was quite good, the old racing Bugatties that were on a stand near by were something else, although there were quite a lot of stands just selling insurance and other tat.

Quite a malarkey getting out of the show, not helped by the fact that the transport company sent a mahoosive truck and there was only my car on it! 

IMG_3030.thumb.JPG.f722f80443a5c725c4f6f62117be2359.JPG

So it had to park up in one of the unused car parks quite some distance away.  They tried to get the car into the main truck through the trailer, but it was too low to get into the trailer, even though the driver said that they loaded McLarens that way without any problem.  So he had to jack-knife the trailer to get the car in to the truck directly.

IMG_3031.thumb.JPG.e2cc2867b2c7fc802ac849871b7eee9d.JPG

It was about 11:00 before I got home.

Very, very glad that I decided to have it transported, the gritters were out in force, you could scrape off the salt that's on my M6 with a spoon.

^ Yeh the metro was interesting, for the effort I think you'd do something a little less prosaic.

Different strokes and all that but you do wonder about the mind.....

That is fabulous!

In a similar vein I picked up a nearly-but-not-quite-as-garish brand new 1980's Alpina jacket from ebay for ... £9 !!!!!!

P.S. Mrs Sharkfan says we're both retro-idiots. I'm not quite sure what she exactly means but I'm fairly sure it's not complimentary.

Edited by sharkfan

I have a BMW accessories catalogue from the 80's. man there's some cheese in there!

i also have an m watch with a rotating polarised face as the second hand so it goes dark and light 8)