RichardP

My E26!

561 posts in this topic

Hi,

Could it possibly be a DeTomaso Pantera underneath ?!

It's still not as bad as the pair of 'cars' that turned up at the Gaydon BMW show a few years ago !

Richard - Keep up the absolutely fantastic work on the M1 !

Cheers, Dennis!

Hairyarse likes this

Hi Richard,

With some wider and bigger diameter wheels, that example in the article would look 'quite' good overall !  

Seems a lot of kit cars have a number of 'popular' base vehicles onto which the bodies are attached/fitted/stapled to! I guess a genuine Pantera wouldn't be chopped around for this given their values, it was the first 'thought' it could have been one when you showed the red example!

Cheers, Dennis!

Started improving the heat shielding in a couple of places.

First, the top of the engine cover over the exhaust, there are just two small pieces of heat shielding on the larger beams

34042611592_4bd4580c45_b.jpg

After even quite a short drive the smaller parts were getting exceedingly hot.  Far too hot to touch and hot enough for the fibre glass to become quite soft and floppy!  You can see in the picture above that the paint was starting to discolour because of the heat.

I bought some Zircoflex 3 self adhesive heat shield and applied a double layer, in theory that should reduce the temperature by about 75%.

34042611112_9be5a3b2c6_b.jpg

Next up was the bottom of the well for the toolkit.  Basically nothing on the outside, even though it's right above the exhaust.  There is a piece of heat shielding inside, between the fibreglass and carpet, but it's not surprising the toolkit gets very hot (if you look back, the handle of one of the screwdrivers melted!).

34199717885_afb6779f7f_b.jpg

I stuck a single layer of Zercoflex 3 on to it, the adhesion is not great due to the rough surface, but I squeezed it in the gap where the pop riveted rear part of the wheel arch liner is attached and that helps hold it on quite firmly and as the Zircoflex is quite stiff it should be OK I think.

34042610262_e2a629f68f_b.jpg

Finally I used the last of the half sheet of Zircoflex on part of the main chassis that is very close to the exhaust and has no heat shield.

34199717475_c2da8a8c45_b.jpg

Next steps will be to remove the boot floor and partition between the boot and engine bay and put a layer of Zercoflex over the existing heat shield material.  I'll probably need a couple of full sheets to do that.

MOT time on Monday, after that an oil change and swap the original mild steel oil tank for the new stainless one.  I've removed the forward rear wheel arch liner, the lower retaining piece and the gaiter around the filler pipe and dip stick in preparation.

34199945985_353bb833c4_b.jpg

Hairyarse and Neilb like this

Err, well done on the MoT and the shiny new oil tank but the last time I looked there was a perfectly decent tubular exhaust attached to that rather lovely engine.

Indeed there is!

I want to reduce the engine bay temperature, so a coating on the manifold would seem the best way.  However, I'd also like to keep the original manifold which if you remember has some additional bracing near the flanges. So, the 'new' manifold will be coated leaving the original, original!

Hairyarse likes this

That was the most liberating thing about 'losing' the e28 I could clear out all the original bits I was saving. Still have some I need to punt on.

A quick internal examination of the old oil tank indicates that it was a good idea to replace it!

34205803211_c2e65275e3_z.jpg

I need to get a better endoscope to do a more thorough examination.

Hairyarse likes this