Mazz

'94 540i Touring 6spd - The Money Pit!

oh, the obc still bullshits me, changed all the light bulbs yestarday, ALL of them, and still reckons the dip beam doesn't work..

Could be head light adjusters or the soldering in the check control module?

yea mate, I've just realized.

sorry planet !

went for a drive today, and I'm more and more thinking about what can cause this engine to be this lumpy.

it does pull, well, not 286hp worth, but it struggles to start when hot and it feels and sounds like it misses a cylinder.

I'll do a compression check again, and maybe look at the plugs a little bit better.

it needs a major service, the exhaust needs to be sealed and maybe the injectors will do with a clean. for that purpose I got myself a spare set from a 3.0 m60, which I hope are the same, I'll try and clean them so that I can stick them on straight away and see what happens.

oh, the obc still bullshits me, changed all the light bulbs yestarday, ALL of them, and still reckons the dip beam doesn't work..

I would start with the PC valve at the rear your M60 ... These should be renewed at 80,000  :razz:

holy shit where do you start on it?! I rang the nob head who owned it in Spalding Lincs probably 2 years ago nearly when it first appeared on ebay. He was full of shit and said about the LSD then.........

The a/c didn't work, gearbox wasn't great but can't remember what he said exactly there, not much mention of rust, he'd never used the cruise control so couldn't comment if it worked! Lots of talk about ACS (which i'd leave the badges on as that side of the story seemed genuine to me as it had at the time all the correct bits fitted) he'd used it alot towing caravans. He'd owned it for a long time i think but it all seemed a bit wrong. I was in a bad way for it but after speaking to him and agreeing a time to view he disappeared got very very hard to contact so i left it. 

It seems it sold and then its had a procession of dreamers who also fell for it then realised the work it needs and sold it on and now you have it! Your courage can bring you through and have a hero chariot at the end but its going to take some work! 

thanks for the infose mate, really appreciated.

I know it's foing to be a money pit, that's its name at the end of the day, but I'm realising that it looks better than some other projects I'm following.

so far.

you called it, is the next thing on the list mate.

cunt clips underneath and off it comes or I have to take the wing off?

bentley manual again, useless.

that's why I sais "so far".

I'm prepared guys, I'm getting to know more and more history of this car, and thankfully there's a good selection of welders at work !

I just hope I can make it while keeping the car usable on the road, and more importantly, for the next mot, I think in october..

hello folks,

usual stuff on tourings

I'm trying to get the sunroof to work, I removed the whole headliner so I can now workout what's happening.

I swapped the motors because the horrible grinding noise I think is due to eccessive corrosion in the cables, that have too much resistance for the motor to move them, and so the cog just slips producing horrible noises. maybe the rear gear has some more material to grip on the cables

whit swapped motors I got somewhere, in the sense that the front one runs but it does not engage anything, just turns and then stops because the cables are too corroded.

i've tried a million times to syncronise the motors with no luck, the roof is still stuck close.

If i remove the clutch from the front motor and hit the button the thing just spins freely, whitout engaging anything.

i maybe just need some rest, I'm trying and trying but my patience just abandones me after 20 mins...

help !

will supply videos maybe tomorrow

post-59268-0-62548300-1438113570_thumb.j

Edited by Mazz

you need to grease the cables if they're like that get some penetrating fluid in there start freeing it all up. This will help the motors no end. 

As for cable guys link yes they rust on the sills but you can see on his car that they had been bodged up before and then left to fester as you can see the filler!

Right here's where I'm at: the roof is in pieces, no headliner, cables everywhere, I manage to hammer the trim panel off the front section to kind of see what's happening in the rails. I tried to open the roof manually, rear motor first, then the front one, all different sequences, but no luck. The cables are so stuck that the gears slip with no effort whatsoever, I try and turn the Allen key slowly resulting in just clak-clak noises that go nowhere. The roof moved, the rear panel started to make is way down and the front one up, but after that is all completely stuck. I'm really frustrated and embaraased, at the end of the day I work with classic cars and I should know better, but not in this case. Now touching the switch results in nothing, no response from the motors, I have to seal up the roof with tape and think about this.

I can't lube the cables unless I open the fucking thing, and that's where I get stuck.

I've read any single DIY thread on this, every single one even before buying the car, in none of these situations the roof wouldn't move even manually, well, here's the first one.

I need a six pack.

Ok I got the front panel tilted up by helping it with my hand and turning the Allen key that by the way continued slipping on the cable. Now the front motor, same story, endless slipping, I'd be impressed if I pull this off

Right, now I'm really fucked. Both the motors have now ovalised spindles, one already was, but this happened wih a snap on fucking 40 pound Allen key. The roof is therefore stuck in the vent position, open. I need to go to b&q get myself some sealer tape. Oh, and two new motors.

post-59268-0-57724200-1438449348_thumb.j

post-59268-0-55428100-1438449357_thumb.j

now I'm really embarassed.

tha day begun with my first try in aligning this thing, well, I failed at that as well, both track rod ends are frozen in there, and I ran out of time, again.

post-59268-0-86834000-1438449450_thumb.j

Edited by Mazz

Jesus you are in the wars on this, its going to fight you the whole way. Sadly the only way is to replace everything because its all fubared from lack of care from the tossers who owned it before you.

You need to get some fluid in the cable worm drives if you want to stand any chance of success on that sunroof. 

yeah mate, this is as bad as it sounds.

I had a spare sunroof frame with maybe cables that came with the car.

well, my lovely landlady threw it away because she though it was just random junk.

I have to work with what I have, that sunroof will move, and I'll taste the satisfaction of having stuff that was frozen and neglegted, eventually working.

but it will take time.

I had the front section fully open and I sprayed wd40 all over the fuking thing, rails, drain holes, sliders, everything.

but then the spindles gave up.

do you guys know if e36 o e32 sunroof motors will do? they're the only two ones I can find on ebay uk right now.

Edited by Mazz

Are the Twin Touring Sunroofs like the Single Saloon Roofs in respect that you can take the whole cassette and motor out? If so I'd look for a breaker with a working roof and replace the full lot. You can always paint it at a later date. 

C.

I hope they do, but it's not something I can try, I haven't got anywhere enclosed to park this car in the case I run out of time or encounter problems while doing a job like that. I already know it's going to get soaked in water next rime it rains because gaffer tape is just... well, gaffer tape.

I need to get some other motors, hopefully with some more material left on the gear and a non worn out spindle that I can turn without damaging it.

I also noticed one last thing before wrapping up: the switch did not seem to responde as it did before: tapping the switch back and forth does nothing, motors dead, no clicking at the control unit, the only response is when you press it upwards (is it the function to make it close?) and the front motor turns anticlockwise.

have I busted the control unit as well?

There's only one thing for it... Weld it up. Smooth roof wagon ftw. ;)

Sounds like a bloody nightmare in all fairness and I'd be looking for a whole replacement/used working unit. You should be able to seal it up with a sheet of aluminium or similar and tape whilst looking.

C.

haha thanks for the opinion mate but I like the double sunroof more than I like the v8 on this turd, is one of the main reasons why I went in the hunt for an e34 touring ;)