undercover

Drivetrain - Continue the journey at a moderate speed

Hi

I had a issue with my 520d M sport last week and was hoping someone may be able to help

I was driveing last week and the folowing message popped up

"Drivetrain, Continue the journey at a moderate speed. Full performance not available. Have the problem checked by Service"

I continued to drive home and it was not too bad.  I left it for a few days and then used it and it seemed ok. However midway through the journey the sign cameup again but it kept coming. Luckily i was very near home so just went back home.

While driving the car kept stopping and although I would accelerate it would not drive forward. Every time I drove a bit it would just stop an di would have to restart couple of times

Looking to get it checked out but any of you guys had similar issues or any ideas what it could be?

Edited by undercover

Coincidentally, my 2011 520d SE flashed up the same message today. Stopping/locking car/restarting hasn't cleared the message, and the car is driving more or less normally as far as I can see. A quick internet search came up with everything from the high pressure fuel pump to a failing battery. ( Neither which seems to be the case here.....)

A month ago, the flat tyre monitor light flashed on, and the car refused to select any gear for nearly 15 minutes. (No flat tyres.....pressures totally normal).   I was less than impressed at the time, but the car started normally the next day 9no error messages!!!) and has behaved itself until now. Fingers crossed........

P.S I love the car.....

Happened to me on the very first day I got my 2012 F10. Dealer took it back in and it sat in their workshop for a week whilst they argued with Germany about doing a full software re-install/upgrade or something. Finally got it back and its been fine since.TBH and IMHO anyone who's car is under warranty and ignores a message like that is looking for trouble in the future!

Coincidentally, my 2011 520d SE flashed up the same message today. Stopping/locking car/restarting hasn't cleared the message, and the car is driving more or less normally as far as I can see. A quick internet search came up with everything from the high pressure fuel pump to a failing battery. ( Neither which seems to be the case here.....)

A month ago, the flat tyre monitor light flashed on, and the car refused to select any gear for nearly 15 minutes. (No flat tyres.....pressures totally normal).   I was less than impressed at the time, but the car started normally the next day 9no error messages!!!) and has behaved itself until now. Fingers crossed........

P.S I love the car.....

Red Diesel

I had the same thing two weeks ago but then it started happening more frequently. Now it happens within 5 min of driving.

I also did a internet search at the time and Fuel Injectors and Fuel pump were the more common causes, but need to get it properly checked out.

I got a diagnosis done today and it reported around 15 issues but  they all happened around the same time so most probably all linked to same issue

Hopefully nothing too serious

Happened to me on the very first day I got my 2012 F10. Dealer took it back in and it sat in their workshop for a week whilst they argued with Germany about doing a full software re-install/upgrade or something. Finally got it back and its been fine since.TBH and IMHO anyone who's car is under warranty and ignores a message like that is looking for trouble in the future!

I read a few people had same issue when they purchased the car. Unfortunately mine is no longer under warranty. It is Feb 2012 and just done over 67k mileage

Had a diagnostic check on the car this evening and it flagged up the egr temperature as being too high and also highlighted the dpf.

One 30 minute run at 3000 rpm in 4th gear (50 mph) should do the trick.

Worth pointing out that previous owner only did short runs of 5-10 miles for the greater part of 40,000 miles....

Hopefully that's me sorted..will report again later.

Had a diagnostic check on the car this evening and it flagged up the egr temperature as being too high and also highlighted the dpf.

One 30 minute run at 3000 rpm in 4th gear (50 mph) should do the trick.

Worth pointing out that previous owner only did short runs of 5-10 miles for the greater part of 40,000 miles....

Hopefully that's me sorted..will report again later.

For sure it seems we have simlar issues. Intereted to see if your problem comes back

sorry what do you mean by 30 min run?

Driving the car for 30 mins in 4th gear at 50 mph..

This gets the exhaust temp and dpf temps high and encourages dpf regeneration

Thanks

I might just give that a go as the Mechanic who did the diagnostic check stated temp not normal

Guys

If I was to delete the error message, would that impact it in anyway. 

So could it be that the car keeps coming up with the "Drivetrain error" message because the errors are telling it that its got issues?

I just had the same message which popped up last week on my 2012 F11. It popped up right after I drove the car away from my carpark in the morning after about 1 minute.  

Came out with the error message Drivetrain malfunction,  continue journey at limited speed.  It put the car to stall and the transmission changed from D to P. 

I restarted the car immediately and it started and then moved off.

It has never came back since.  I am really hoping it is just a glitch as you know this could be triggered by myriads of different problems. 

I have had the same thing as a one off which put the car in limp home mode

A simple recycle of the ignition cleared mine.

It used to do it occasionally with the M47 engine I had in my E46 but the limp home symptoms were far more severe slightly more than tick over was all it would do.

I suspect the ECU 'thinks' something is wrong and drops the fuel rail pressure.

Also had the same issue with my f11, I thought it was all down to the MAP, but several weeks later and after several drivetrain faults and EML popping up the car eventually went in to limp mode and stopped working. BMW replaced the one of the ECU,s and the stearin column.   Running perfectly now

hello, last week this happened to us, we were 4 in the car in the middle of the trip, we heard some squeaking, maybe from the turbo, at first nothing showed up on monitor, few seconds later the error showed - drivetrain - continue moderate speed, ...so we continue.....i was checking this post also, i found nothing bad, ....but our car suddenly started to burn with flame, we quickly parked, take off kids and other stuff, in 5 min it was in big flame and it burned, while the firemen came. so folks, better stop next time and dont go. - my experience, bmw 5 combi, 2012

image1.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Edited by Lucik

This is an issue with the egr valve,  I saw an x1/3 on the side of the motorway the other week doing the same thing as above.    There is a recall from BMW on this issue,  I would advise all diesel owners to call local dealers and get checked out.

I am sure most are fine, but no harm is asking the question.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/bmw-recalls-268000-diesel-models-uk-over-fire-risk

Edited by Enzo503

6 hours ago, bmwmike said:

The amount of smokey diesels around these days is ridiculous. 

It's a boy racer thing around these parts, often old Golfs or Seat's that look like they deliberately overfuell for effect, the backs of them are left covered in soot for effect...

Often accompanied with one of these...

7 minutes ago, bmwf113.0d said:

It's a boy racer thing around these parts, often old Golfs or Seat's that look like they deliberately overfuell for effect, the backs of them are left covered in soot for effect...

Often accompanied with one of these...

It's mostly old VW T5 beaters and white van rolling scrap, around my way, though you do see newer cars running as taxis like Toyota etc smoking away. It may be imagining it but there seems to be a lot more smokey cars around these days than there used to be in recent times?

I've had this error pop up a fair few times now, always at the beginning of the journey, sometimes happens without any warning and other times the car just goes abit sluggish/ lumpy and cuts out. Worse instance was me pulling away from a round about and having all the on coming traffic having to swerve at the last minute to miss me!

I made sure all the software is update to date on my car but it's still an issue unfortunately.