Ryan2507

BT broadband

Is anyone on here at bt engineer that can tell me why bt broadband is fucking rubbish, I'm meant to get between 1 and 3.5mbps, was getting 320kbps, phoned up and had 45 mins of being made to do this and that and me getting rather irate about me doing there job for them and paying for what I'm not getting. After got up to 1.6 soon dropped bellow 1 after I'd hung up. How do they conveniently make it faster when on the phone to them??

First replace the micro filter

If it is still slow make sure your router is connected to the bt master socket

If its not, move it (no extention leads either)

If it is, remove the top face of the bt phone point and inside is a hidden phone socket, try it from here with the micro filter

Essentially if it speeds up after that you have an internal issue, if it's no better it points to an issue else where. Also bt adsl is a contended service, if your neighbours are all heavy users at peak times you will see a speed drop

Try the speed test at midday when all the kids are at school

That's pretty much what he got me to do, it's currently plugged in the socket inside of the main socket, which was new 2 years ago along with the actual phone line. I don't know what area are line actually covers but I live in a village of 100-200 houses, half of which the occupants were born when telegrams were all the rage, so I'd guess there Internet usage is pretty low

Is your pc wirelessly connected or via an lan cable?

Sounds like your not getting as advertised performance - line fault test is required

I think your line speed drops for a while if disconnected in case there is a line fault, leaving it on should recover over a few days - got stuck early on with infinity and you had to call in but automatic now.

When a new service is provisioned it will self learn it's best connection speed by going up and then beyond what stays stable.. However a disconnected router after this phase shouldn't have any relevance

It's also worth checking you dont have something like a virus or malware infection that is using up your bandwidth

Speed tests were done on a laptop connected with Ethernet cable. He's meant to be phoning me back on Saturday and see if speed has stayed above 1mb

Don't understand how in 2015 there are still large parts of uk that get barely more than dial up speeds... Pay a small bastard fortune for it

I'm a broadband engineer, you need your provider to raise a job for Openreach to come out to you and carry out some tests on the line to see what's going on. So many things can cause slow speed. It may just be that you live miles from the exchange and have too much DB loss due to distance,

Most exchanges are FTTC enabled now ( fibre ) , I take it your exchange isn't ?

I've just today resolved a fault with one of my lines - both are FTTC and were around 35Mb each but in October they both became unstable and eventually settled around 14Mb.

Numerous line tests which all passed ok, copper pair switches to rule things out which lead to BT saying it's an interference issue and down to me to sort out even though it may not be in my property.  Finally got BT to start investigating further last week and had DLM profile reset on one of my lines which enabled me to start tracking when the worst of the issue happens.

Finally tracked it down to the power supply for next doors broadband router today - replaced that for them and jumped from 14Mb back up to 30Mb with no errors.  Just need an engineer to do a DSLAM reset on both my lines to get the DLM profile back up to where they should be.

So it was a REIN fault just not in my property and has taken me 8 months to get resolved.

Yup REIN is a rigjt pain to find. I've had Sky boxes,street lights, electric fence, cctv camera,heater in greenhouse and probably other stuff I can't remember. More often than not it will knock out a few houses near to the source. You can normally trace with a little hand held. Radio on the right frequency.

Well done for finding it though !

I see you also have a V10 M5,good taste !

Edited by simonc

i know you can tune a radio to a certain frequency on the MW scale which will pick up interference that can cause BB drop out.

In an industrial estate down on the sussex coast the occupants had their BB dropping in and out. It turned out to be a monitor power supply, this was found using the radio, the closer you get the more the noise i guess.

Don't understand how in 2015 there are still large parts of uk that get barely more than dial up speeds... Pay a small bastard fortune for it

Hi,

That's simple, lack of investment in the infrastructure by BT. I'm thankful this house has got Virgin cable to it!

Cheers,

Gavin :)

The fact that your BB gets worsewhen you hang up suggest a bad joints in your line. When you have a phone call going through the extra voltage clears the line and when you hang up that extra voltage disappears, moisture enters the joints and interferes with your connection.

One of our local villages signed up for a satellite broadband system 10 years ago telling BT to get stuffed, the idea was the local pub was the satellite hub and wirelessly send out BB. It was doomed from the start, so they only had dial-up and as there were only about 200 homes in the village BT and the previous satellite contract BT couldn't do anything until recently. They now have FTTC.

Personally i'm on Infinity 2 (80mb) and have had my broadband go wrong less than a handful of times since the days when 256k ADSL was considered the mutts nuts

Live about 4 miles from exchange I think. Fibre? Fuck me were lucky to have electric and sewers.. Will see how it is on sat when he phones back will have them out if still crap

Reading this makes me more able to justify the price I pay for my 150Mbps Virgin optical broadband connection!

Sounds like you're having a nightmare! :(

I'm supposed to be on virgin 120mbs but wirelessly I get 20-30mbs max

(Even less on the iPhone)

And sometimes those speeds still drop below 1mbs

At the moment my three mobile mats has been down for 2weeks - that's annoying me but these are all just first world problems.

How did we cope without all these things 10yrs ago ;)

JJ

Iim about 3 miles from the exchange on BT infinity and get about 70 meg all for free, never paid line rental,never paid for any calls,never paid for broadband as the Mrs gets that as part of her package working for BT. Plus she has another BB line in her office at home for work also. Been in my house 17 years and never had any problems with my line. Virgin don't even have a network where I live and I think people that have Virgin would be suprised that most of the country don't have any Virgin network.

Virgin mainly covers cities and large towns at the moment with other areas being slowly covered. I can't complain with my virgin, I'm on 100 meg and pretty much get 99-95 wirelessly all the time so makes paying the extra worth it. It has its problems but that's down to what area you live in and how old the infrastructure is and type of use, e.g lots of flats using 30 year old wiring.

We live just outside Southport, but the estimated landline broadband speed is 1mbps.

If you're in a rural area it's worth considering 4g mobile Mifi.

We have recently switched from Three's 3G service to EE 4G. £20 a month with free modem about iphone size. 15GB a month allowance.

You can take it anywhere.

Speed has gone from about 1mbps (3G/Three) to about 15mbps (4G/EE) it sometimes gets 20mbps.

We don't want a landline anyway, both of us have a mobile, we use Skype to keep in touch with family and don't want to talk to anyone else.

Edited by mike77

I live at the North Pole (well Inverness - close enough) - and I've just changed from BT normal BB to Sky Fibre.  The deal was 'up to 34Mbps' - but it was explained very clearly to me that I would get between 16 and 24 Mbps realistically.  Given that I was lucky to get between 3 and 6 before, I was happy with that.

Thing is - I've been seeing speeds between 30 and 36 ever since!!  So - BETTER than expected, and Sky customer services are great - based in Fife, all speak great English, and friendly and good craic!

Happy camper!

Iim about 3 miles from the exchange on BT infinity and get about 70 meg all for free, never paid line rental,never paid for any calls,never paid for broadband as the Mrs gets that as part of her package working for BT. Plus she has another BB line in her office at home for work also. Been in my house 17 years and never had any problems with my line. Virgin don't even have a network where I live and I think people that have Virgin would be suprised that most of the country don't have any Virgin network.

Same as me except I'm the one working for BT