Stuu520d

Advice Needed - Hardwiring Dashcam to E60

No worries. I just meant, instead of going out of your way testing yours, Which of yours goes to the centre of your socket? I.E. In your photo, which prong is live? Or isn't it that easy?

Is it wired to the front cig lighter socket? I found the torch socket easier to get to. Unless I used the rear cig sockets, but then routing of cabling would be longer. 

Hi Stu, I've just built one of these yesterday. If you have the torch apart you should be able to see which prong is positive and which is negative by looking at where the connections run to the positive and negative terminals of the batteries inside.

As the prongs aren't centred in the plastic body the best way I can describe polarities is that the prong closest to the centre of the body is negative and the prong closest to the side of the body is positive. Hope that makes sense?

Personally I found that my solder didn't stick very well directly to the prongs as shown in the above pictures. I found it easier to de-solder the resistors, etc from the PCB then feed the new wires through the relevant holes left on the PCB then solder to these.

Cheers,

Chris

I just stuck a multimeter on mine

seabass is correct, positive goes to the centre core of the cigarette socket.

Power_zpsnctecdc5.jpg

Edited by chr15gb

Thanks Chris and.

I will see how I get on and come back if I need more help. The bit about the resistors confused me a bit. Are They needed? I guess it is just the prongs needed.

Ta

Stu

The resistors, etc aren't needed, they were part of the torch battery charging circuitry. If your device is expecting a 12v input then you can solder straight to the prongs as the other Chris has done.

I just mentioned that I had problems getting the solder wire I had to fix securely to the back of them, may be due to poor quality solder wire. After an hour of having one connector disconnect as I soldered the other one on I then decided to de-solder all the resistors from the PCB and use the relevant holes they leave to thread through the new wires then solder these to the PCB which worked a treat, nice and secure.

Cheers,

Chris

Thank you Chris and Chr15gb

All done- works perfectly! just timing how long it stays on for now.

Cheers for all your help.

Edit... 15 minutes I make it, between locking my car up and power off. Hopefully a dash cam on that will not flatten my battery.

Edited by Stuu520d

Power will remain until the car goes to sleep. This time can differ between cars.

In an Auto, the orange light near the gearstick will go out.

I think on the Manuals the light on the window controls does the same thing.