jojim65

BMW F11 Folding Wing Mirrors

17 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've just bought a new F11 in Carbon Black to replace my 3 Series but i've under specced it.

Is it possible to retrofit the folding wing mirrors?

I had these as standard on the 3 Series and stupidly thought the 5 Series being the model up and all that would have them as well.

Thanks

Jim

post-56664-0-22246800-1430933120_thumb.j

post-56664-0-70800800-1430933122_thumb.j

Edited by jojim65
marriedblonde likes this

Nice looking car...but I'm biased, it looks just like mine  :razz:

You can retrofit them, as you can most things, but it will cost you the earth. Not sure you'll have the wiring in place, unless you have the full electric seats(I think)

They giveth with one hand and take away with the other!

I've got the same problem, standard on my c class won't have them on my new F10

Just a thought, but have you tried holding the locking button on your keyfob for a few seconds after locking?

That's how I operate them on my F07 GT

GT STEVE likes this

Thanks all for your replies, I can confirm pressing the locking button makes no difference at all plus my dealer can't retrofit them so that scuppers that idea.

If it is possible to get it retrofitted by a third party I think I would decline as I wouldn't want to do anything to jeapodise the warranty.

On a more positive note, so far very pleased with the car, far better than my E91 and the electric tow bar is rather trick.

Thanks

Just a thought, but have you tried holding the locking button on your keyfob for a few seconds after locking?

That's how I operate them on my F07 GT

Thats intresting, going to try that tomorrow :razz:

That will work on your GT Steve, it's standard from Sept 2011.

Did you get your car from Bournemouth BMW by any chance?

Yes it was, from Ridgeway. Only went out to buy a dinner set, ended up buying a new car!

Yes it was, from Ridgeway. Only went out to buy a dinner set, ended up buying a new car!

Though I recognised the pick up pics.  Mine came from them as well :-)

I've decided to give up on the retrofit idea, all getting far too complicated, it will now bug me for the time I have the car.

I will now manually move each mirror when I park and make a suitable mechanical noise to suit.

If it makes you feel any better I didn't order the full electric/mem seats and every time the wife drives the car it bugs me that I have to move the seat manually.

New world problems. :-)

If it makes you feel any better I didn't order the full electric/mem seats and every time the wife drives the car it bugs me that I have to move the seat manually.

New world problems. :smile:

I did spec the adaptive lights though, and they are very weird. First time I drove at night in the New Forest I thought I had suddenly developed migraine. With main beam on there was a black square covering the car in front and my xenons were reaching a good 20 yards in front of his halogens. So far no one has flashed me and the main beam was constantly on. So whatever trickery BMW use to 'blank out' other road users it's very good.

The first car I bought had a heater as 'optional' and it wasn't till the third that I got a heated rear window...that was real progress!

Edited by jojim65

If you search the BMW website there is a very good video showing how this works, but I understood it was with the new LED lighting. Have you got this lighting and if so do you think it is worth the extra over normal Bi-xenons?

Adaptive lights + high beam assist as described above comes as a combined option with xenons on the F10.  

You can have it with the more expensive LEDs as well of course.

It only works as jojim65 describes on roads with no street lighting as the high beam assist camera picks this up.  So worth it if you drive a lot on those roads.  You wouldn't get to use it much if you drive on lighted roads.

Personally, I think it is really useful and it is a bit of a wow factor when you first try it out.

If you search the BMW website there is a very good video showing how this works, but I understood it was with the new LED lighting. Have you got this lighting and if so do you think it is worth the extra over normal Bi-xenons?

My headlamps are standard xenons but my fog lights are LED and they are even better than the xenons, I live in a rural area so good lighting is important to me, so far the package of xenons, high beam assist, adaptive lights and LED works very well.

I also own a classic 70's British sports car (not an MG) and that has the best halogen lights I can get, in comparison to the BMW I might as well hold a torch out of the window.