womble171

520d Touring Newbie

Pretty versatile to be honest.....it's electrics that get me in a muddle!!!

I ordered the stats from Cotswold (£103 for both), but forgot to order coolant so will have to pick some up. My local Costco has the one that is compatible with any anti freeze for a tenner so might nip down there tomorrow so I'm ready for the weekend to fit them.

I've also been told that you can take the DPF off and soak them in caustic soda an then just jet wash them out, but not too sure about that one??

Will have a look at links now for instructions, thank you :)

Hi guys.

Had to have a little lay off due to a serious case of man flu, but finally got round or changing the stats today.

Wasn't as bad as I expected, and only took around an hour and a half.

Had a little twenty min drive in it and I noticed the temp reached a high of 93, previous high was 77 doing urban so hopefully will see an improvement on mpg and will be able to clear fault codes and do a dpf regen.

I was going to check swirl flaps whilst I was there, buy wasn't sure how to free egr from manifold and was running out of daylight so any pointers would be appreciated. Also, I was going to flush the cooling system through, is it ok to use any antifreeze (was thinking of prestone from Costco), or is it worth using official BMW?

Cheers

Little update.....

I've now done around 200 miles or so since replacing stats. Although the temperature is what you guys say it should be, the fuel consumption isn't :( I'm currently getting just over 26 mpg according to the on board computer!!

I managed to get the car to connect to DIS (still no joy reading with INPA) and even though I cleared all codes, all 4 glow plug codes are coming straight back. From what I've read, this will stop the car from doing a regen? Any ideas as to why all four glow plugs are showing as fault codes? Also, I've noticed the car blows no smoke out at all, even when putting your foot right down......don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing though???

Hi guys.

Had to have a little lay off due to a serious case of man flu, but finally got round or changing the stats today.

Wasn't as bad as I expected, and only took around an hour and a half.

Had a little twenty min drive in it and I noticed the temp reached a high of 93, previous high was 77 doing urban so hopefully will see an improvement on mpg and will be able to clear fault codes and do a dpf regen.

I was going to check swirl flaps whilst I was there, buy wasn't sure how to free egr from manifold and was running out of daylight so any pointers would be appreciated. Also, I was going to flush the cooling system through, is it ok to use any antifreeze (was thinking of prestone from Costco), or is it worth using official BMW?

Cheers

Sorry I missed this. I would use official antifreeze from BMW.

Horsey

Little update.....

I've now done around 200 miles or so since replacing stats. Although the temperature is what you guys say it should be, the fuel consumption isn't :( I'm currently getting just over 26 mpg according to the on board computer!!

I managed to get the car to connect to DIS (still no joy reading with INPA) and even though I cleared all codes, all 4 glow plug codes are coming straight back. From what I've read, this will stop the car from doing a regen? Any ideas as to why all four glow plugs are showing as fault codes? Also, I've noticed the car blows no smoke out at all, even when putting your foot right down......don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing though???

Check the MPG is in UK and not US as that makes a difference.

It might be worth doing a forced regen on the car through DIS.

When I had DDE errors stored I couldn't regen. Each car seems different, there is no consistency with whether it will or won't regen.

It could be that the glow plug control unit is knackered, though this normally shows up as an error. It might be worth replacing all your glow plugs...when were they last done?

Horsey

Cheers Horsey.

I've only had the car a little under a month now, so don't know the history of it unfortunately, other than it came with a stamped BMW service history.

Have checked the settings in the I drive and I am definitely on UK units. I managed to screenshot a couple of pics before my laptop battery died whilst using DIS.

I'm off to see the 3 queens tomorrow, but will post the pics when I get home.....is there anything in DIS that could point me in the right direction?

I would be tempted to say given its an 07 plate they have never been changed. Might be worth poping out the ones which are showing as errors and just having a look at them.

OK awesome. Have fun :)

Yes it's under one of the menus to do with the DDE if I remember right. In fact it will also let you test your back pressures, so you could do that and let us know what it's coming up with so we can see how blocked it is. The test looks like the picture attached, unfortunately I don't have a shot of how to access the menu on my phone.

post-45230-0-75524600-1432512071_thumb.j

Horsey

Edited by Horsey

Oh sorry, I forgot it was a four cylinder! Doh! Silly me!

Pop one of them out and have a look, it may actually be the glow plug control unit is knackered! Though, it should still show as an error if there is a problem.

OK excellent, good luck.

Horsey

Edited by Horsey

Well guys after a long and tiring day, I've barely mustered up the energy to scan the car as promised.

I cleared all the fault codes before I went to see the Queens, this is what I got just now when I scanned the car. Hopefully, one of you extremly helpful members can shed some light on situation?

post-57437-0-73173400-1432583988_thumb.j

post-57437-0-10952400-1432584109_thumb.j

I'm pretty sure you can test them without removing them. You test the resistance at the plugs. Do a quick search on here as I'm sure that someone was telling me how on one of my threads last week ;)

No problem, thanks anyway Andy.

I did find the info you mentioned in your thread about testing them at the relay or module situated under the pollen filter housing. Will give that a go weather permitting at the weekend.

If I can figure it out, I'll whizz the inlet manifold off and check them at the plug. Will give me a chance to see if the swirl flaps have been removed??? Any advice on removing the manifold anyone?

Sorry for delay I have been away.

On one of the pictures you have posted the backpressure looks quite blocked/high. Was it at idle or higher revs?

Horsey

Hi Horsey, hope you enjoyed your holiday.

The data is all with the engine at idle. I have been told I can test the glow plugs at the controller to save taking them out as they can snap in the head. Only problem is, I don't know where it's located on the 520. Also, unsure on how to get the egr valve off to check the flaps.

Cheers. It was for a conference so wasn't as much of a holiday as I wanted. :/

OK I'm pretty sure your DPF is quite blocked and needs a regen. Would recommend forcing one if you can. At idle I think the max permissible was 35 mbar, off the top of my head.

I'm afraid I don't know on that one, I know my mechanic said that one of my snapped whilst he was taking it out.

These may help with regards to the EGR valve:

http://bavariancar.lv/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=29498&d=1386148325

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/68585-e60-520d-egr-removal-diy/

Horsey

F.Y.I the glow plug control unit is located just behind the oil filter housing. (N47 engine - that's what you have right?)

Horsey

Check your VIN out on here: http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html or a similar site. It should confirm engine.

If you have an M47 engine the glow plug controller should be located on a bracket secured to the left-hand engine mounting (underneath the car). You will need to remove the engine under shields and reinforcement plate beneath the engine to gain access. This is based on information I have, I can't confirm whether you can access it another way without needing to remove all of this.

Horsey

Edited by Horsey