womble171

520d Touring Newbie

Hi All....

After much deliberation, and the speedo reading 247k, i have finally decided to let my old motor (1999 V Peugeot 406hdi estate)

I have gone and bought a 2007 520d Touring in metallic grey with black leather interior that has covered 184,000 miles.

My questions to all you good people are:  1, Are high mileage ones as reliable as my pug (its got full BMW service history), and 2, does anyone have any hints, tips or tricks for keeping her in tip top condition and on using the INPA and NCS software?

Kind regards

Neil...

post-57437-0-12948500-1430648858_thumb.j

Hi and welcome to the forums.

BMWs should be reliable but modern diesels are very sophisticated and hence a lot more to go wrong! First thing to check is swirl flaps. Do you know about these? Second is to consider the timing chain issues on the N47. I'm not up on this but there was a recall recently. Check if it applies to yours. Third check the stat temperatures via accessing the hidden menu and seeing what they are showing on a dual carriageway drive, as these have a tendency to go and we can work from there :)

INPA is very easy/self explanatory to use. DIS is a little more complicated. Check here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qvl56cd9oqs5v8w/DIS%20BMW%20Diagnosis%20Guide.pdf?dl=0

for a guide on DIS.

Horsey

Edited by Horsey

Hi and welcome to the forums.

BMWs should be reliable but modern diesels are very sophisticated and hence a lot more to go wrong! First thing to check is swirl flaps. Do you know about these? Second is to consider the timing chain issues on the N47. I'm not up on this but there was a recall recently. Check if it applies to yours. Third check the stat temperatures via accessing the hidden menu and seeing what they are showing on a dual carriageway drive, as these have a tendency to go and we can work from there :)

INPA is very easy/self explanatory to use. DIS is a little more complicated. Check here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qvl56cd9oqs5v8w/DIS%20BMW%20Diagnosis%20Guide.pdf?dl=0

for a guide on DIS.

Horsey

Thanks Horsey.

No, dont know about the swirl flaps.......well i know there part of the turbo thats all :???:

Neither did i know about timing chain...

I do know how to enter the hidden menu though, although i dont know what the correct temperatures should be?

I dont know if im using Inpa wrong, but there is no E61 option on mine, neither the N47 engine code???

At least now i know what engine ive got in it.  The seller told me he was gettting about 41mpg around town, but in the couple of weeks ive had it, i cant get the OBC over 29mpg???

Edited by womble171

No problem.

Swirl flaps in this context are within the engine and if ingested cause a lot of problems. The decision to remove is your choice but my advice is REMOVE! There was someone on the forums who didn't and it cost them a lot... Information here: http://www.bmwforums.info/general-guides-and-how-to-s/993-bmw-diesel-engine-swirl-flaps-to-swirl-flaps.html

Ordered my blanks from here:http://www.pmwltd.co.uk/pages/blanking-pates

With regards to the timing chain search the e60 section of the forum as I'm not up to speed on all this.

Temperatures and hidden menu - search the user Baus and look at his signature. This will tell you how to access the hidden menu. Do so and check temps on dual carriageway run and report them back. Will advise then.

INPA- e61 should be in the e60 one they are the same e60 saloon e61 touring. F5 in INPA on mine.

Stats are probably shot with MPGs but do hidden menu and I will confirm.

Horsey

Edited by Horsey

No problem.

Swirl flaps in this context are within the engine and if ingested cause a lot of problems. The decision to remove is your choice but my advice is REMOVE! There was someone on the forums who didn't and it cost them a lot... Information here: http://www.bmwforums.info/general-guides-and-how-to-s/993-bmw-diesel-engine-swirl-flaps-to-swirl-flaps.html

Ordered my blanks from here:http://www.pmwltd.co.uk/pages/blanking-pates

With regards to the timing chain search the e60 section of the forum as I'm not up to speed on all this.

Temperatures and hidden menu - search the user Baus and look at his signature. This will tell you how to access the hidden menu. Do so and check temps on dual carriageway run and report them back. Will advise then.

INPA- e61 should be in the e60 one they are the same e60 saloon e61 touring. F5 in INPA on mine.

Stats are probably shot with MPGs but do hidden menu and I will confirm.

Horsey

Thanks for the good advice, I'm going to have a visual inspection tomorrow and see if the swirl flap issue has been addressed already, if not then it's definitely going straight to the top of my to do list.

Been looking more into the timing chain issue and it seems that the engine in mine is the earlier m47 engine. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad as the guy I bought it off assured me it was the later engine with the better fuel economy, the main reason I bought it as the older model was showing approx 8mpg less according to official figures. I'll try and do a temp check tomorrow also and report back.

Thanks again

Thanks for the good advice, I'm going to have a visual inspection tomorrow and see if the swirl flap issue has been addressed already, if not then it's definitely going straight to the top of my to do list.

Been looking more into the timing chain issue and it seems that the engine in mine is the earlier m47 engine, well according to the engine cover it is anyway. Not sure if that's a good thing or bad as the guy I bought it off assured me it was the later engine with the better fuel economy, the main reason I bought it as the older model was showing approx 8mpg less according to official figures. I'll try and do a temp check tomorrow also and report back.

Thanks again

Hi Horsey and Everyone

Apologies if this is the wrong page, but i'm not quite sure what section to post this under?

I am  beginning to think i have bought a money pitt!!  I have just had a my cousin come round to read the car as i cant get my copy of inpa to work, and the fact that i am only getting no more than 26mpg (urban)

according to on board computer....90 miles covered, and nearly 1/4 tank used.

Anyway, fault codes are as follows...

4212 Glowplug zylinder 1, control

4222  "      "         "                 "

4232   "       "             "            "

4242   "        "             "           "

4478   447B  Lambda probe

480A  system of partical filter

481A  system of partical filter

The air mass readings were also way off the chart (i havent devised how to put the screen shot on yet

I am wondering whether i have any redress to try and return the car (bought through ebay) as seller described it with no faults and returning 40 - 45mpg around town.

Also, is it worth trying to rectify, or shall i cut my losses now before i end up losing more money??

Any help or advise would be greatly accepted and apprreciated.

Neil...

Hi Horsey and Everyone

Apologies if this is the wrong page, but i'm not quite sure what section to post this under?

I am  beginning to think i have bought a money pitt!!  I have just had a my cousin come round to read the car as i cant get my copy of inpa to work, and the fact that i am only getting no more than 26mpg (urban)

according to on board computer....90 miles covered, and nearly 1/4 tank used.

Anyway, fault codes are as follows...

4212 Glowplug zylinder 1, control

4222  "      "         "                 "

4232   "       "             "            "

4242   "        "             "           "

4478   447B  Lambda probe

480A  system of partical filter

481A  system of partical filter

The air mass readings were also way off the chart (i havent devised how to put the screen shot on yet

I am wondering whether i have any redress to try and return the car (bought through ebay) as seller described it with no faults and returning 40 - 45mpg around town.

Also, is it worth trying to rectify, or shall i cut my losses now before i end up losing more money??

Any help or advise would be greatly accepted and apprreciated.

Neil...

post-57437-0-25628300-1430951098_thumb.j

Hi Neil,

Sorry for the delayed response been really busy the last couple of days.

That is a decision only you can make. My honest opinion is these are faults that any modern diesel can get as the engines are so sophisticated and are required to meet stringent EU emissions standards.

Have you managed to check the stats? All these errors could indicate that the stats are gone and the DPF just needs a good regen. My car won't regen with glow plug errors others have found can; this and stats could be why car is showing regen errors.

The reason your readings could all be out could relate to the DPF. Does your cousin have DIS? If so check the back pressure.

Here is how I would go about it if I was keeping - Check stat temps, report back. Wipe all errors, see if regens. If not force regen - then work from there.

You may have some recourse but it will possibly be difficult.

Horsey

Edited by Horsey

Hi Neil,

Sorry for the delayed response been really busy the last couple of days.

That is a decision only you can make. My honest opinion is these are faults that any modern diesel can get as the engines are so sophisticated and are required to meet stringent EU emissions standards.

Have you managed to check the stats? All these errors could indicate that the stats are gone and the DPF just needs a good regen. My car won't regen with glow plug errors others have found can; this and stats could be why car is showing regen errors.

The reason your readings could all be out could relate to the DPF. Does your cousin have DIS? If so check the back pressure.

Here is how I would go about it if I was keeping - Check stat temps, report back. Wipe all errors, see if regens. If not force regen - then work from there.

You may have some recourse but it will possibly be difficult.

Horsey

Thanks Again for advise Horsey.

Not managed to check the stats yet as its been all work and no play lately, but my work is taking me on a little run to Manchester on Saturday morning so will check stats then......if you could remind again what im looking for?  My cousins version doesnt seem to do the newer cars, think he said it stops on early 2007 and mines May 2007. 

I have bought my own cable and software, but im having problems getting it to read the car.  I dont know if its the software or cable, but i have asked the seller if he could possibly do a remote session with teamvieweer to help me out?

There is a garage fairly local to me who says they can do a dpf removal, ecu block and remap for £300, says they cut the dpf out of original exhaust so will still pass MOT.  Seems a cheaper option than a new dpf??

Cheers

Neil...

No problem.

Access hidden menu and temperature. You want to drive 20 minutes on dual carriageway (once warm) see what temperature hits - no cruise control and report revs and whether car tries to regen.

If he has DIS it should, the post 2007 cars just have a different connection if I remember right. Try plugging your lead in his laptop and installing lead drivers then he should have access. :)

OK that's a good idea. With INPA running and keys in ignition turn to position before starting you should get two black dots come up in INPA menu. Look at my picture - they should be black not white. (I didn't have ignition on). If it's getting that your car should be communicating.

Yes but still an MOT failure and strictly illegal! I'm going the ecotune route eventually, though costs a lot more. Before doing that I would just do a forced regen as that may remove the problem. To be honest if the stats are shot once they are replaced the car may start regening on its own. It's a common problem.

Horsey

post-45230-0-58600000-1431034661_thumb.j

You have the better engine for sure, once you've ironed out the usual BMW issues, it'll be a trusty motor.

First thing to do as Horsey mentioned is search the secret coolant temp menu..

If this isn't a solid 88c upwards on a cruise at 60mph, both stats need changing and I'm 99.9% sure you will need to do so.

You may need a new lambda sensor, but clear the codes first and see what comes back.

Your mass airflow readings are fine, so ignore what you think is an off the chart reading.

I would 100% go with the DPF removal and remap, it'll save you many future headaches, I have had mine done and sailed through MOT, no issues at all.

At 184k, you need to get your crankcase breather filter changed to a vortex type breather.

You also need to get your swirl flaps out and replaced with blanks. (If not already done).

It sounds like a lot but in the long run it really isn't, that motor will do 300k+ if you let it.

The trouble with these cars, be it a 520d, 525d, 530d or 535d, is they all suffer the same common issues. DPF, swirl flaps, thermostats and breather filter. Once all these are sorted, your car will be sweet.

Keep us posted :)

You have the better engine for sure, once you've ironed out the usual BMW issues, it'll be a trusty motor.

First thing to do as Horsey mentioned is search the secret coolant temp menu..

If this isn't a solid 88c upwards on a cruise at 60mph, both stats need changing and I'm 99.9% sure you will need to do so.

You may need a new lambda sensor, but clear the codes first and see what comes back.

Your mass airflow readings are fine, so ignore what you think is an off the chart reading.

I would 100% go with the DPF removal and remap, it'll save you many future headaches, I have had mine done and sailed through MOT, no issues at all.

At 184k, you need to get your crankcase breather filter changed to a vortex type breather.

You also need to get your swirl flaps out and replaced with blanks. (If not already done).

It sounds like a lot but in the long run it really isn't, that motor will do 300k+ if you let it.

The trouble with these cars, be it a 520d, 525d, 530d or 535d, is they all suffer the same common issues. DPF, swirl flaps, thermostats and breather filter. Once all these are sorted, your car will be sweet.

Keep us posted :)

Thanks Will.

I'm going to give it a good coat of looking at on Sunday (weather permitting).

Is it best to get the replacement stats off BMW, or will third party ones be ok?

Also, will it need to get new gaskets to hand to check if the swirl flaps have been removed as I don't think you can just visually inspect without removing the manifold?

Will defiantly look at getting the crankcase filter changed...

I will report back on Saturday with the results of the hidden temp check.....at least I feel better now knowing I haven't bought a lost cause :)

Thanks guys.

Thanks Will.

I'm going to give it a good coat of looking at on Sunday (weather permitting).

Is it best to get the replacement stats off BMW, or will third party ones be ok?

Also, will it need to get new gaskets to hand to check if the swirl flaps have been removed as I don't think you can just visually inspect without removing the manifold? It turns out that I haven't got the N code engine, it's the earlier M type. Don't know if that's a good thing or bad though?

Will defiantly look at getting the crankcase filter changed...

I will report back on Saturday with the results of the hidden temp check.....at least I feel better now knowing I haven't bought a lost cause :)

Thanks guys.

Hi guys.

I finally managed to check the stats on a run today. The car was reading 77 before I hit the motorway, but doing a constant 70mph( I'm a good boy), it dropped down to a pretty constant 64 degrees. I bought some dpf cleaner before I went and put that in tank and managed to keep the revs between 2000 - 2500 rpm in 5th gear on the way back to force regen. I don't know what I'm looking for with regards to the regen process so I don't know if that worked or not?

The OBC stats are now showing 32.4 mpg at a constant 31.2 mph speed, that still seems pretty low to me though?

My cousin is coming over later or tomorrow so we're going to see if we can get it to communicate with DIS so will try and wipe errors and see where we go form there?

Use dealers. People have had eurocarpart ones fail nearly immediately. You will also need coolant. Order from Cotswold and get forum discount.

Horsey

low mpg is probably because the dpf is on its way to blocking up, thermostat change should sort that out. Then you just have the lamba sensor to deal with if it doesn't go away after clearing the codes once the stats are replaced and you've taken it for a run

low mpg is probably because the dpf is on its way to blocking up, thermostat change should sort that out. Then you just have the lamba sensor to deal with if it doesn't go away after clearing the codes once the stats are replaced and you've taken it for a run

Cheers Baus.

I meant to order the new stats today, but forgot to take my bank card to work and ring them so that's my job for tomorrow.

Is there any guides on the forum as to fitting them?

No worries! :)

How competent are you with some spanners? The egr stat is very easy to fit, the main is mostly time taking - the only hard bit is getting access to the top most screw on the thermostat. Take a look at the links in my signature for instructions. Cotswold bmw (forum sponsors) give some discount on any parts ordered from them fyi. You'll need coolant too unless you plan on catching and reusing it.

No worries! :)

How competent are you with some spanners? The egr stat is very easy to fit, the main is mostly time taking - the only hard bit is getting access to the top most screw on the thermostat. Take a look at the links in my signature for instructions. Cotswold bmw (forum sponsors) give some discount on any parts ordered from them fyi. You'll need coolant too unless you plan on catching and reusing it.