Dongiov

The silver steed - 1996 E34 525i Manual Sport

Thanks Stefan and Daz, to be honest, if I hadn't come across those new wheels, Daz would have got my money and I would have got a set off him.  But new, genuine, couldn't pass up on those.

Go Geoff  :razz: It's great seeing your NEW parras and boxed too ! What a good find ... Your are going for gold with this E34 :razz:  

Well I am tempted to make them my show wheels, as they will fit anything bar the iX.

Just got to find some money now to shoe them (part of me struggles with this concept, of actually using them).  Should I, shouldn't I.  After all, they are concours standard, whereas everything else on the sport is not, well not yet.

Edited by Dongiov

Well I am tempted to make them my show wheels, as they will fit anything bar the iX.

Just got to find some money now to shoe them (part of me struggles with this concept, of actually using them).  Should I, shouldn't I.  After all, they are concours standard, whereas everything else on the sport is not, well not yet.

Hi Geoff, You only live once, use and enjoy those wheels :razz: I'm sure the rest of your Sport will soon match your mint wheels  :razz:  

Well it’s time for an update, lots of brake and suspension parts have arrived and I am just waiting for a slot on the ramp to get them fitted.

In the meanwhile, I have been fitting some trim to the engine bay so it looks a bit tidier now. 

I have also worked out that I have a lazy actuator.  When I lock the car from the front door, the boot does not lock.  When I lock the car from the boot, the boot does lock.  So I need to replace the boot actuator but annoying the actuator is NLA from BMW.  A quick call to Five-oh and one will be on it’s way soon.

More importantly I spend some time yesterday tracking down a current drain which manifested itself when I went to start the car after leaving it standing for two weeks, only to find it had completely drained a 90aH battery.

I have a digital multimeter with cables set up so I can put it in between the battery positive terminal and the positive lead.  Doing that enables me to read the current being pulled and I found it was at 0.15amp with the doors closed.  Suspecting the central locking was at fault, I went and pulled all the fuses in the rear fusebox to see if the excessive drain stopped.  It didn’t so I started working my way through the front fuse box.  When I came to Fuse 20, bingo, the current drain dropped to 0.02-0.03 amps, my target range.  Fuse 20 is for aircon, heater and OBC and as I know the aircon fan at the front is seized, that’s the prime suspect for causing this short.  I know it is shorting as Fuse 23, the main fuse for this fan is blown, although it turns out that Fuse 23 was a 20amp fuse, not the 30amp fuse that’s specified. 

So I next took the front bumper off to access the fan connector and disconnect it.  It’s located under the outer casing of the fan and where it was obvious but how to get it off and disconnected was not.  Does anyone know whether the whole fan has to come off first?  I didn’t have much time to investigate but it needs to have a metal clip around the middle that refused to budge.  Any help on this point very much welcomed.

While messing around with the front bumper it became apparent that one of the main beam lights is cracked and, when tested, that the headlight adjustment motors are also not working.  So, the headlights need replacing along with the front grilles.  Lucky I have spares.

Anyway, I will leave you with a photo of the boot, full of brake discs and suspension parts ready for fitting.

post-40085-0-02545900-1434461954_thumb.j

The reg number of my old one was N144 YDP that was a red 525 sport maybe they came from the same dealer.

Ed

I think it's highly likely, I don't have the paperwork in front of me but I think it came from Altwood's of Maidenhead originally.

News update, it went to my mechanic's place Friday, he was up to his eyeballs in work so I thought nothing was going to happen for a while, was therefore surprised to get an text last night saying all done bar the rear suspension.

Another progress report tomorrow.

And the Silver Steed is on the road again.  Took it for a run this evening, very happy with the result bar one thing, the acceleration wasn't quite what I was expecting.  Parked it up, opened the boot and was greeted with 1/2 a tonne of scrap.  So that's why it was a bit slow. 

Anyway the Super Sport rear suspension wasn't fitted in the end, it became apparent that the Mtec rear sits well with the Supersport front so until that fails, the Supersport rears can sit in storage.  The good news is that the handling has definitely improved.

Two main jobs outstanding, rocker cover gasket and undersealing the repair panel where the original protection has come off.

Am also busy assembling a replacement set of headlights for the car, so once the mechanics and bodywork are finished, there's lots of little jobs to do to finish it off.

It's late so I will update the list when I can and stick some photos up.  Just to say that when I looked underneath the car when it was on the ramp, I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of rust apart from the area around the repair panel which is situated on the front nearside inner sill.  For example the fuel tank straps were mint, a good sign if ever there was one.

Well, rocker gasket done, underseal done.  Took it for a test drive this evening, am happy to report that it performs a lot better without 1/2 a tonne of scrap in the boot and that it pulls well, noticeably opening up above the 4K point where the Vanos kicks in.