E39mad

Test drove the 428i Gran Coupe

Had a go in this car today - 428i Luxury auto in Imperial Blue with 19" alloys.

Even though the it's only a 4 pot there is 245bhp on tap and it sounds good and goes well enough. Rode really well despite being on 19"s (std suspension). Well kitted out with Pro Nav, DAB, Live traffic, electric heated seats, xenons, powered boot etc etc

Boot size is good enough but concerned that the roof line cuts down too much for growing kids, particularly an almost 14 year old son who complains the F11 is too small...

I won't be changing .....now but would certainly consider one is few years time

post-31138-0-87258400-1429275456_thumb.j

Edited by E39mad

I don't get the need for a 4 door 4 Series when you can just go and buy a 3 Series instead

Go study one close up Chris - it is a far better looking car than the F30 imho and way more practical. It is wider and lower than the 3

Edited by E39mad

I fancy one of these in xdrive format, my son at over 6 foot was OK in the back of the gran coupe, the coupe was far too low in the back. The hatch back offers more flexibility as well.

Edited by McFar67

I'm looking at the 435i GC at the moment. In m sport kit they look very nice indeed. Grey with ivory white leather looks the business.

Also really like the frameless rear doors, they make it look special, and the hatch boot really does improve practicality as really with a touring how often do you stack stuff up so it covers the rear window. For me the practicality comes with having a big hatch to lob stuff in.

I went into the show room to look at a 5 or a 3 touring but ended up getting side tracked by one of these.

It's true what others have said above, they look a LOT better in the metal.

Even in white

post-42102-0-81068500-1444683076_thumb.j

23 hours ago, sharkfan said:

Mrs Sharkfan is currently considering a 435d xdrive cabriolet - should be quite a toy for the summer and winter.

Why the xdrive Kevin now that your live darn sarf? 

Not my choice Guv, MiLady thinks her new job could see her all over the country at any time of the year so the xdrive will be a nice to have on top the most powerful diesel engine; we did the sums against a slightly older M3 Cab and the fuel savings each year are £2000.

Went and saw a de-badged 435d xdrive on 18" wheels this morning - it's a sleeper for sure; stunning engine and power delivery and looks like the bottom of the range spec.

Just a quick update; Mrs Sharkfan went and bought the above mentioned 15 plate car and here it is with Miss Sharkfan at the wheel.

06052016402.thumb.jpg.f91c53817102d1767f

The overall spec is fairly high as the diesel range topper so the only extra it has is a heated steering wheel. Initial impressions are that it rides really nicely on the 18" Bridgestone Potenza runflats. Incidentally we had a 16 plate 420d GC on Goodyear runflats for a week and it was simply dreadful; twitchy and boneshakingly hard to ride and quite an empty engine that seemed to echo back to the days of a MkI 1.2 Cavalier I once had - you could change down as many times as you like there was no more power, just lots more noise. The six pot diesels are considerable smoother and I'm hoping the x35d engine should run and run without any issues at all.

The 435d on 18's is considerably more comfortable than on the 19's as well which was important to the new owner as it is a commuting tool 5/7 and a family convertible 2/7. To sweeten the purchase deal I blagged a c£420 wind deflector and I have to say it reallly works up to and beyond the legal limit. It's Estoril blue (very common on F3x cars), black dakota leather and contrast blue stitching, aluminium and estoril trims and full sat-nav, bluetooth, DAB, PDC, USB, Cruise etc, etc.

With no badges whatsoever save for the boot and bonnet roundels it is quite discrete and moreso for having the 18" wheels and body coloured front wing vent trims and mirrors instead of the chrome, black or carbon.

I haven't had much of a play in it but completely by accident I thoroughly embarrassed a Golf R from some lights last weekend who then came storming past at silly speeds wondering what debadged Munich motor had left him for dead.

Looks great Kevin.

Was in our local dealership this week for an oil change and they had all the verts lined up outside for a "Weekend Event". The 4 series has loads of room in the back. I like the look of the M235i vert personally but probably too small for a family

The reasons for choosing the 4-Series over the 2-series was the space and the folding hard-top.

The reasons for choosing the 6-cylinder engines over the 4 cylinder engines were the power and the smoothness.

The reason for choosing the big diesels over the big petrols ware fuel savings of over £2000 every 12-15k miles.

The reason for choosing the 435d over the 430d was the Xdrive which is only available on the 435d.

The reason for choosing the low spec Estoril Blue/black leather car over the massively specced/every option ticked mineral grey/black leather car is that Mrs Sharkfan finds the blue 'very pretty'.

:blink:

^ can't disagree with that. Infact I've thought if not said a 330/35/40d xdrive sport touring might be all the car you'd need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive got a 420d m sport in estoril blue as a courtesy car and i must say im pretty impressed with it. The 4 pot 20d goes loke stink when you provoke it with the 8 spd auto it works well. I agree with the statements about checking them out in the flesh, definatly much nicer than pictures suggest. 

Ive fallen for this one and will regret giving it back 

A relative has a 16 plate 320d Luxury with M Sport seats. I drove it the other day and really like it. Feels a bit nicer than my E91 in most respects. In fact, just about everything apart from the lack of that smooth inline 6 ....

I really don't need an estate, especially one with bugger all room above the curtain. However, I would be totally stuffed with a saloon. The 4 GC looks perfect to me with a practical hatchback, all the 3 series virtues and slightly nicer looks.

I need to sit in the back of one to decide on headroom but, if it's OK, it's at the top of my next car list. Not sure on engine choice but definitely not a 435d x drive - it has the same quoted 0-62 as my Elise. I can't have an everyday car as quick as my sports car, can I? ;)