Dotcom1970

Round OBD, ELM 327 Bluetooth Adapter and Torque

Has anybody managed to get this set-up working?  I notice you can buy the OBD Adapter lead and ELM as a set on eBay, but wondered if anybody has tried it successfully.

If so, is there a handy guide to the settings etc, as I'd very much like to get this enabled and working with my soon to be purchased Parrot Android headunit.

My car is 2001 530d. So I'm guessing your car is 2000 or older.

I have the OBD port inside the car.

I could not for the life of me get any of these programs to work for me.

My car's port is working fine with INPA and an old bmw scanner setup I have.

As for the elm, plx and torque etc. I have tried the Bluetooth versions and the wifi versions and have tried two different iPhones , iPads and two different android devices.

I've given up.

Just be warned before forking out for the stuff.

Maybe there's a member on here that has the above working for them and could lend you their setup if they were close to you.

I've got INPA etc from Jimmy, and that all works as it should, just wondering if I can plug in a bluetooth module into the OBD connector, rather than have a plug adapter to USB cable running through the engine compartment into the dash

Mine is a 2001 but I don't have the internal OBD port, only the round one in the engine bay.

Really? Should be one above the driver's right knee, in that little cubby hole thing under the dash. My 1999 has one there, and the round one in the engine bay. :)

Really? Should be one above the driver's right knee, in that little cubby hole thing under the dash. My 1999 has one there, and the round one in the engine bay. :)

Nope, wasn't a requirement on diesels apparently until a few years later, so all I have is a blanking plate there.

I think facelifted models have it fitted it though.

Hi,

The elm stuff will not work on any e39 diesel as the diesels were not required to conform to obd spec until 2004.

I've got an elm to usb but haven't tried it on mine yet...

Cheers,

Gavin :)

RosieB'sdad has got the torque app working on his 2003 diesel. I got one for mine but I couldn't get it to work. He tried and failed too.

Hi,

Looks like BMW adopted it a year early in 2003, possibly only on the latter half of the year too...

Cheers,

Gavin :)

I have the BT torque working in my 2003 car but it isn't great TBH and diagnostics are pretty useless.

For those of you with two OBD ports you will still need to do most things using the round port under the bonnet.

Yep....mine works. It is a very late model (October 2003). I tried my devices - phone and ELM - on Fred's car (2002 iirc?) and also Digidick's I think, no luck.

Although I've not researched fully, I'm proposing that the OBD socket in the cubby-hole was not fully functional in early models, it was effectively the same as the round plug under the bonnet and not fully OBD2 compliant.

Later models like mine were then updated to be fully compliant ready for the impending law change in 2004.

I think my entire electrics must be different ....for example, I seem to be the only person who gets the EML light on with the EGR bypass mod.

Just my opinion.......

S

@Ally.....

Not sure why you say Torque isn't great.... it certainly saved my engine when I popped a hose on the motorway.

It's not meant to be a full diagnostic tool, it reads generic OBD2 codes and can reset them.

Not a bad investment for under £10 for the app + ELM interface ....again, just my opinion :)

S

Yep....mine works. It is a very late model (October 2003). I tried my devices - phone and ELM - on Fred's car (2002 iirc?) and also Digidick's I think, no luck.

Although I've not researched fully, I'm proposing that the OBD socket in the cubby-hole was not fully functional in early models, it was effectively the same as the round plug under the bonnet and not fully OBD2 compliant.

Later models like mine were then updated to be fully compliant ready for the impending law change in 2004.

I think my entire electrics must be different ....for example, I seem to be the only person who gets the EML light on with the EGR bypass mod.

Just my opinion.......

S

Sounds plausible I guess.  Oh well, I won't bother - Would have just been nice to have some playstation style graphics on the engine displayed on the screen :mrgreen: