WickRatson

Rick's E28 V8 Build

Does anyone know how to remove a rear hub nut when a idiot has removed the trailing arm from the car? I have the opposite end in a vice, and a meter long breaker bar and the breaker bar is bending more than I'd like it to.

All I can think of is a bigger breaker bar.

Hi Rick,

Try a length of scaffold pole over the breaker bar to give you a longer turning moment.  Put some weight behind the lengthened breaker bar and have an assistant hit the socket with a BFO hammer to "Start the nut / break the seal".

Cheaper than purchasing a windy gun.

Regards,

Mick

Edited by Ordnator

Hi Rick,

Try a length of scaffold pole over the breaker bar to give you a longer turning moment.  Put some weight behind the lengthened breaker bar and have an assistant hit the socket with a BFO hammer to "Start the nut / break the seal".

Cheaper than purchasing a windy gun.

Regards,

Mick

Or take the trailing arm to a garage that has a windy gun.

Dont forget me if you not using bib spoiler!!

coming along well now.

I literally have you down for it on my notepad. Problem is I need to replace it first before I get rid of it! Struggling to find somthing appropriate.

Right, here we are guys! More updates...

20150626_164306.jpg

The dash is an absolute ****** to remove. I dread putting it back in. I have absolutly no idea how to go about organizing the wiring looms on removal. I'll have to look at all the wiring diagrams. Any advice?

20150626_144655.jpg

Bonnets off, Engines coming out next month! Crickey.

20150626_144703.jpg

20150626_164216.jpg

Doors off to! I planned to not take them off till late in the project but it makes access into the car so much easier, i know its stating the obvious... haha Had a mate helping me out today as its all a two man job today.

20150626_164244.jpg

Hole lot of stuff removed, cataloged. Trying to make it easy to fit when it comes round to it.

I also had some great fun burning rubber. All of these are so past there use by date. They will all be replaced with pollybushes.

20150624_221328.jpg

20150624_212510.jpg

20150624_175135.jpg

Oh, and the ABS Sensor, absolute basterd!

20150624_201604.jpg

i'm still having real issues with the rear hub removal. i already have a air compressor, so i plan to get a impact gun, and maybe a bigger 3/4 drive breaker bar to crack this bugger. I have the sub frame ready to powder coat, soon the wishbones will be to. 

One last question, what is the best way to paint up the diff ready for re-instillation? Is Hammerite the best?

Edited by WickRatson

That's one crazy strip down, hats off to you Sir

What you want for the diff is soft enamel, any auto paint shop will have it, sometimes known as tractor paint or maybe that's just a west wales thing, anyway a good zinc primer and brush on your tractor paint, jobs a good one. 

Struggling to find a manual gearbox. I've managed to find one breaker with a 5 spd. 750+vat! Not great. Could not even get me a part number. If I'm thinking about parting with 900 bloody quid you'd get up off your arse and find the part number would you?

Unbeliveable.

Young man have a look at this front spoiler.

I was considering buying it to tuck away, front valance and lights included, I have asked about the condition and its okay.

Not bad money either

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221809831432?euid=6b9fc173af454074bd519a0a39d0226d&cp=1

Re hub nut. You are aware of the lock ring? The nut will undo with an air gun. If no gun then a length of scaffold pole on a 3/4 breaker bar. I did it a long time ago by putting the arm underneath a shed and using a seven foot length of pipe. The leverage made if simple. could not move it with the two foot breaker bar. Triple the length of the lever triple the force.

Young man have a look at this front spoiler.

I was considering buying it to tuck away, front valance and lights included, I have asked about the condition and its okay.

Not bad money either

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221809831432?euid=6b9fc173af454074bd519a0a39d0226d&cp=1

This month might get quite exspencive!

Is a manual box from an M54B30 any use to you?

I'm not to sure, I've heard a gearbox from a 330i can bolt up. But I'm not sure if it has the crank position sensor on it. I'll look into this.

Re hub nut. You are aware of the lock ring? The nut will undo with an air gun. If no gun then a length of scaffold pole on a 3/4 breaker bar. I did it a long time ago by putting the arm underneath a shed and using a seven foot length of pipe. The leverage made if simple. could not move it with the two foot breaker bar. Triple the length of the lever triple the force.

I might very well be being a biff here.

I'm not to sure, I've heard a gearbox from a 330i can bolt up. But I'm not sure if it has the crank position sensor on it. I'll look into this.

You won't need the cps on the bell housing if running the v8.