BarryM

BM24 swap to BM54

I'm after some help with switching from the BM24 to a BM54 in my 2001 E39, I have the intravee and DSP adaptor as well as a retrofitted ULF and bluetooth and everything has been working fine until I switched units.

I ordered this cable and after removing the BM24 I can't work out what to do with this:

post-42464-0-29020300-1427820946.jpg

It should fit here but obviously some pins are gonna be spare!

post-42464-0-61201800-1427820982_thumb.j

I've tried the long white plug both ways round and whilst I get radio I can't get anything out of my iPod.

I've also removed this plug and taped it up:

post-42464-0-03896500-1427821347.jpg

and connected this from the BM54 to the black plug (above):

post-42464-0-44565100-1427821380_thumb.j

Hopefully I'm doing something obvious wrong!

TIA

So I think my CD is now my Intravee but I've got no sound. The white connector just seems wrong and which way should it be fitted - with the 4 or 6 pins?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely one side is for phone and other for cd audio?

should that plug not be in 2 parts as in bmw loom "or" has it just popped out of the audio lead you have to use to swap from round to flat pins?

thats what it looks like to me, you need to fully populate the audio loom so you cover all connections, 

ok just looked at link, for me you need to use 6 pin side as 2 odd pins are audio/aux in for phone??

Edited by jimmy

Thanks for the suggestion chaps, I'll have another look today but can't see why it will work today when it didn't yesterday. Have found a few posts showing pin outs and thinking I might have to do some splicing so not best pleased (or really sure what I need to do yet)

Well the radio works fine, nav voice works fine, BT phone works fine but just can't get anything out of the intravee. Switch back to BM24 and all works as expected. One difference with the nav is that when it gives directions with the radio on, the radio carries on at a lower volume whilst instructions are given.

Any suggestions on why the intravee isn't working?

I think i've sussed the problem, you need to connect both sets of pins from this:

post-42464-0-61415300-1428018370.jpg

The 6 pin side is the Tape & Nav (plugs into the existing 10 pin socket).

The 4 pin side is the CD audio and needs to be plugged into the cable that runs from the CD changer to the DSP box.

I'm pretty confident this is the problem as according to the Bimmernav site the CD audio went directly into the DSP unit with the BM24 but with the BM54 the CD audio routes through the BM54.

To be continued.......

Hmm, I have an Intravee with Dice DSP adaptor connected to the DSP unit because my car had the coax CD audio cable. I think I need to jettison the DSP adaptor and get a 6 pin cable PN 65128364756 to connect the Intravee directly to the BM54 for audio.

I'm hoping Richard might spot this unless we have any other Intravee gurus on hand?

Barry, your last post is correct.

With the BM24 and DSP the CD Changer audio goes directly to the amp via the digital coax cable, hence the requirement for the A/D converter (DSP adapter).

With the BM54 and DSP the CD Changer audio follows the standard path via the 6 pin CD Changer input to the radio.

This is the BM24 pinout :

Old%20Gen%2017%20Pin%20Radio%20pinout.jp

Having DSP your car loom wont have any pins in location A 1,2,6 and 7.

This is the BM54 pinout :

New%20Gen%2040%20Pin%20Radio%20pinout.jp

You will need to get P/N 61 12 0 140 718 (you could get 65 12 8 364 756 but that's actually the BM24 part) or find the part from any E39/E46/X5/Z4 with Nav and NOT DSP (or a car with BM54 and DSP) from a scrap yard.

Once you have the part, you will need to extract the 3 pins from it, the outer case of the radio connector end slides off, then you can press a barb on the pin with a small screwdriver or needle and it slides out. Remove the pins from your adapter harness from the equivalent piece and insert the pins from the new part in the correct location. The pins from the BM54 part are easier to remove than the BM24 part (your part number) as the BM24 part has a metal shroud which is more difficult to remove.

You will no longer need the DSP adapter.

Edited to correct BM54 pinout.

Edited by RichardP

Sorry to resurrect this guys but did this sort the problem out as I now have exactly the same issue. Richards photo's would be really helpful if you still have them?

Wiring has never been my strong point!

You just need fully wired round pin (loom) to flat pin (radio) adaptor.  You also need an antenna adaptor from ISO to FAKRA.

Not the cheapest, but the link is likely to remain live for longer than ebay items :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Radio-retooling-Interface-Antenna-adapter/dp/B01NAB16EP/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1524208861&sr=8-4&keywords=bmw+round+flat+adapter

That is exactly what I have, It's those pins in the white plug that have me baffled. I also have the 61126913954 cable. Guess its that that that I remove the three pins from the plug and add elsewhere?

61126913954 is the CD Changer adaptor for the loom to BM54 radio, you may or may not need this depending on exactly what you got with the round/flat adaptor.  You'll need the CD Changer audio cable that goes from the radio to CD Changer, that's PN 61120140718.  You'll then need to merge the pins of the two by looking at the BM54 pinout

5ad9b374c793d_BM54Pinout.jpg.f02ecd65d5659fb07acba1b39ae5b52b.jpg

So, remove the pins from the connector on 61120140718 (CD Changer audio cable) noting their positions (2, 8 and 9) and colours.  Insert them into the BM54 plug part of the adaptor part B as above in positions 2, 8 and 9.

Edited by RichardP

B 2 8+9 Already have wire is them connected to that white connector block. Does that block actually serve any purpose in this case? Just ordered the CD connector lead. The radio still works without the CD adaptor, but then I suppose it would!

Edited by Neilb

Could you post a picture of the adaptor you have, the flat pin end, so I can see what's included.  The sub connectors B and C basically take all the audio inputs to the radio (and some versions also have a line out) that's why you need to merge in the CDC connector, without merging you will lose Nav and TV audio, which if you don't have isn't so much of an issue.  Some of the adaptors have a single white plug that does both B and C, in which case you'd lose Tape, Aux and Phone audio too.

Will do when i get a chance. Ive removed the 3954 cable which has lost my audio from the tape (no loss really) and ive ordered the CD cable from BMW, itll be here on Wednesday. Im off monday so ill disconect the radio again (that still works) and post pics. My phone (built in motorola)  has lost audio but it did thatvages ago, hopefully i can get that back? 

IMG_0489.thumb.jpg.c71755a9079c896c3a394a585aee1fbf.jpgIMG_0491.thumb.jpg.629594624c1df58c76425dd64e04b486.jpgIMG_0492.thumb.jpg.bfc01e2cc6fec9d1d05598a9b5e6faa6.jpg

Okay, here is what I got in the connector pack (plus the aerial adaptor) Top is the basic car to BM54 loom, then the two plugs for the BM54 then the white connector block on the opposite end of those. I'm thinking I'm going to be removing pins from the smaller black block and adding ones from the CD Changer to car adaptor which is yet to arrive?

There are two ways to do this.

Either, insert the CD Changer audio pins into the car loom round pin plug.  These will be empty as your car does not have the CD Changer analogue connectors.  You need the round pin connector pin out to determine the location (just google it, there are plenty of pictures on line).  Advantage, it makes your car more like standard and should be easier.

Or, insert the pins into the double white connector in the last picture.  The locations will already be occupied as most people do have the analogue CD Changer audio so the interconnecting wires will be there.  Use the BM54 (flat pin) diagram to determine which locations you need.  Advantage, less connections so less chance of noise pickup on the CDC audio input, but it's a little more work to remove the existing pins.

Thank you Sir. 

Once I've got the CD (intravee) working again I'll move on the the phone and who knows as I have one tape in the house the tape player... 

New lead acquired and all working again, I'll tidy the wiring up and hopefully get the phone audio working again too.

This has been a learning curve removing and moving pins so thanks so much for all your help....