shakeym35

Temperature gauge

Hi guys my m535i was stood for a year and 4 months while sorting working on it... I started it up for the first time last week but now the temperature gauge has stopped working.. Before she was stood up the gauge worked perfect...

Would anyone have any suggestions to what could cause this problem and where to start looking? Many thanks

You've probably already done this so apologies if you have.  Remove and replace the sender wire to the sender a couple of times; might just be a bad connection.

Are all the other instruments working OK?

The gauge in the cluster is seperate from the Si board, there are about five pins that connect it and these can get mucky. Bit of dismantling, bit of compressed air and a clean will not hurt

post-52342-0-05237400-1428058115.pngpost-52342-0-05237400-1428058115.pngHi shakeym35,

If your SI board batteries are leaking then the acid will most likely eat is way through the PCB tracks on the "Conductor Plate with Cover Plate" part number 62.11.1.385.094 (item 3 in the attachment).  You may well experience an increasing loss of "Cluster" functionality as this acid continues to "leak and eat"  The stealers want £700.00 and upwards for a replacement "Conductor Plate".

If you suspect this then I would advise checking sooner rather than latter.  There are repair options / remote battery placement options for the "Cluster" provided your "Conductor Plate is not too far gone.

I had to replace a "Conductor Plate" about 8 years ago when the price was a lot less than it is now (£350ish), but it still hurt the wallet.

Regards,

Mick

Edited by Ordnator

Tried disconnecting the socket from temperature gauge cleaned it several times, but still not working, next step is to remove the cluster and inspect the connector at the back...

I've noticed that the temperature needle flickles when I turn the ignition on.. Is that normal?

I'm thinking of replacing the temperature switch, hopefully might solve the problem.. I took the cluster apart and noticed that the si battery's have possibly been replaced in the past.. They are sanyo battery's , orange in colour? Are these standard or replacements?

How much charge was in the batteries when you took the board apart?  Remote battery mounting is sensible thing to do when replacing, I suppose, but I'm definitely going down the "SI board delete" route - great write up on internet, albeit for a 524 diesel.

Just to share my experience

My temperature gauge, was jumping from 0 to maximum when powered the engine up.

the solution was to replace a bad wire, which goes from relay box to battery charge light on the dash (it's a blue wire).

Hi guys,

(i hope my english is good enough)

i am an electronic nerd and had repaired about 500 of such clusters with very different errors.

The main problem: leaking batteries destroy the SI-board.

Because of the high price of the board, i had remanufactured the SI-board on my own.

The replacement is designed for the cluster up to 86 with 3 red LED in the LED line.

Cost 226.- Euro + shipping.

The newer boards comes in 3-4 types, all of them have their own, special problems.

99% of them (only if the acid has not destroyes the layout) i can fix.

I can offer the repair service for the whole cluster.

Bad news for you: i am located at south germany.

You can mail me to check problems individual.

The common error of "speedo stops working" is a result of broken plastic-gears.

Some of them i have in stock as spare parts.

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/bmw-e28-tacho-kombiinstrument-518i-520i-mit-funktionsgarantie/555757640-223-8942

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/originale-bmw-e23-e24-e28-service-intervall-platine-tachoplatine/555766576-223-8942

Regards

Andi Schneider

Admin E24-Forum

https://forum.6ercoupe.de

3_rote_leds.JPG

Nachbau.jpg