Bennybear

My e39 M5 Running Report

Thought I'd start a build thread for the new (well new to me) M5

Rarely gone backwards in terms of age of car but stepping out of an 08 335i, and back into a 14yr old e39 it's really surprised me how the e39 still feels great.

Took it for it's first proper drive today after giving it a bit of TLC this morning, got some bits and pieces planned so thought I might as well start the thread with how the car looks after a good clean.

Went over it with my Megs basic detailer kit, wash, clay, polish, paste wax (twice) then went round and cleaned and lubed all the rubber on the car, polished the headlights, replaced the filler cap with a new item with an intact tether.

Immediate plans, well as soon as I buy an e39 touring as a second car are as follows

Give interior a proper going over

Replace weather strip on both sides

Replace window surrounds on passenger side

Replace front kidneys

Look into potential sound upgrade (Bavsound maybe?)

Fix windscreen washers

Replace number plate surrounds

Apply personal plate

Get windows tinted

Potentially look at changing over interior from wood to piano black

Fix missing pixels in instrument cluster

Maybe look at exhaust modification

Front end stone chips

Full paint correction

Change rear view mirror to oval

Anyway, here she is after spending this morning on the paint and plastics

post-42102-0-05214400-1425836176_thumb.j

post-42102-0-80770100-1425836242_thumb.j

post-42102-0-53075100-1425836261_thumb.j

post-42102-0-73934400-1425836277_thumb.j

post-42102-0-72079200-1425836307_thumb.j

post-42102-0-63204200-1425836341_thumb.j

post-42102-0-62719900-1425836365_thumb.j

post-42102-0-15187700-1425836387_thumb.j

post-42102-0-23503400-1425836400_thumb.j

post-42102-0-49060600-1425836424_thumb.j

Edited by Bennybear

Very nice mate liking it a lot can't wait to get my hands on one. Was thinking about keeping the x5 until you went and put this up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. The darker finish on the alloys suits the car as well

I was thinking the same thing.

Black really does look nice when it's clean, trouble is it doesn't stay clean for very long.

I was thinking the same thing.

Black really does look nice when it's clean, trouble is it doesn't stay clean for very long.

Very true, but I don't mind cleaning it on a Saturday morning, and I don't do many miles. CB is such a nice colour. It's worth it for the couple of hours it stays clean.

Update

Felt the clutch slip on the motorway when dropping it down from 6th to 4th (going through a tunnel) also the blowers weren't blowing as hard as i'm sure they should, so I knew a trip to CPC was coming.

Also, as I mentioned in a previous thread, for a split second the water temp gauge shot up into the red and then cam back down again, so thought the stat might be on the way out, and last week a slight ticking sound could be heard from the nearside front wheel bearing.

So, dropped the car to CPC on Tuesday and at first things seemed good, Boris took it for a test drive and said the clutch felt OK, but it was school leaving time so we didn't really get a chance to properly open it up. so i kept my fingers crossed that perhaps it was just a bad gear change by me on that stretch of motorway. 

However, a call this morning confirmed the worst, the clutch is on the way out, could probably get away with just a clutch plate but going to do the DMF as well as a matter of course. Also the car us running a little below optimum temp so going to get a new thermostat, so might as well do both temp sensors and hoses while they're there. The heater hedgehog is busted so getting that replaced, and a wheel bearing.

Looking forward to getting it back for the summer, not looking forward to paying the bill.

Oh, that reminds me, might as well get the pixels in the instrument cluster sorted too while they there.

Good thing is, with a Vanos in lovely condition, and the big end bearing having only just been done i should hopefully have future proofed the car for at l;east a year or two of big bill free driving.

Fingers crossed anyway!

post-42102-0-75682900-1429266923_thumb.p

Maybe ask CPC to check/change timing chain tensioner as this leads to expensive fix if chain allowed to flail about and smash chain guides etc. I have just experienced this on a recent purchase and car is at Indy Crago's of Dartford Kent with the engine out and a big repair bill to come.

Yes mate, luckily this was done at the same time as he big end bearings just before I bought the car. Have receipts to support.

Other than the Vanos which is in good health, that's the major problems sorted. She should be ok for a while. It's a second car and will probably do 3-4k a year at the absolute most. So hopefully I can just enjoy it for a while now.

Bennybear - Thought about supplying some of your own parts for CPC to fit? I would be OK with BMW OE thermostat/hoses/sensors/fsu since after-market parts savings are modest in comparison. (After-market sensors seem to be universally poor compared to BMW supplied ones).

But.....one front wheel bearing from the dealer is going to set you back £380+... just for the part. The same FAG bearing (BMW OE) is available for £110+ change from one German parts supplier. Also, the last people I would be buying major clutch components from would be BMW. LUK are the OE manufacturers of clutches/flywheels and you will pay way less for these from the like of CP4Less etc, etc. (there are many).

Maybe CPC will be using after-market OE parts? Be worth asking Phil the question since that's a lot of work you're having done and there could be major savings to be made.

Just shy of 83k

Just come back from picking it up, got a couple of hundred miles to bed it in but it feels great.

Air con re gassed

Heater output stage

Front left wheel bearing

Wheel hub assembly

Thermostat

Upper and lower temp senders

Rocker breather pipes

Both rocket cover breather hoses

Couple of other bits and pieces on the invoice

Nice to have the aircon icy and everything running nice. Might be psychological but with it getting straight up to temperature it seems to run and sound better.

Next stop, exhaust.

Bennybear - Thought about supplying some of your own parts for CPC to fit? I would be OK with BMW OE thermostat/hoses/sensors/fsu since after-market parts savings are modest in comparison. (After-market sensors seem to be universally poor compared to BMW supplied ones).

But.....one front wheel bearing from the dealer is going to set you back £380+... just for the part. The same FAG bearing (BMW OE) is available for £110+ change from one German parts supplier. Also, the last people I would be buying major clutch components from would be BMW. LUK are the OE manufacturers of clutches/flywheels and you will pay way less for these from the like of CP4Less etc, etc. (there are many).

Maybe CPC will be using after-market OE parts? Be worth asking Phil the question since that's a lot of work you're having done and there could be major savings to be made.

Thank you mate, but already picked it up, wasn't expecting it back till Monday but they did everything today. Wheel bearing and hub assembly was £280 for the parts. I don't know if it's bad manners/etiquette to say exactly how much I paid but I'm pretty happy with the bill, and it was under two grand.

I've head of people being quoted £600+ for the stat, senders and hoses alone. So I'd braced myself for some wallet damage.

I'm really looking to keep this car mint and oem using original parts, I kind of prepared myself for the fact it's going to cost my a bit to run.

Thanks for the offer of help though, much appreciated.

£600 for a stat and sensor job?

Fuck me I'm in the wrong game.

Using BMW parts you'll be paying around £150 max for the bits, and I'd say a leisurely 2 hours labour if you want to remove the plenum for better access. I'd expect £300 as an absolute maximum, even then that's pretty steep

I'm really looking to keep this car mint and oem using original parts, I kind of prepared myself for the fact it's going to cost my a bit to run.

Fair enough. Totally understand your desire for originality. Lots of BMW receipts can be a good thing at resale .....it's just I hate having my pants pulled down all the time when buying parts from the dealer I can get that are exactly the same as from elsewhere!

Absolutely agree, when I put a new water pump on my 335i buying direct from the manufacturer that supplies to BMW was half the price of the part from BMW themselves. The jokers!

I guess when I moved house and CPC became so convenient to get to, I'd heard such good things about them over the years I just trust them to do what is right.

I basically dropped the car with them, and said do what ever needs doing. But if the bill is going to run over two grand give me a call first please.

I'm sure there are cheaper ways of doing things and this maybe a bad strategy, but I've always tried to pick a garage with a good reputation and then leave it up to them to look after the car. I might pay slightly over the odds, but it's easy and gives me peace of mind I guess.

Good stuff. Phil is very knowledgable and can be expensive but it is always due to doing a 'proper job' as opposed to cutting corners. But you get what you pay for in life I guess!

Minor update

Recently I'd been looking into the best products for black paint, and after hearing about it on here, decided to try out some 50 Cal, Cover Up Filler Glaze as people had mentioned it as being especially good for Carbon Black.

post-42102-0-04057500-1430072123_thumb.j

So did the usual wash and clay process, went round it with the glaze, then finished it off with some G3 Super Resin Wax, and I have to say I'm mightily impressed with the results.

Really has given a deeper, glossier, wet look finish. The reflection is incredible. Well worth the money and a must have product for anyone with a carbon black car. Noticeably different to everything else I've used.

On a side note bought some shelving/work unit for the garage, turned it from a horrific mess into being quite tidy which pleases me.

post-42102-0-25433600-1430072904_thumb.j

Anyway, more about the car. Basically, very pleased with the 50 Cal product.

post-42102-0-09490100-1430073002_thumb.j

post-42102-0-57464700-1430073024_thumb.j

post-42102-0-41889000-1430073057_thumb.j

post-42102-0-02924600-1430073083_thumb.j

post-42102-0-45783500-1430073098_thumb.j

post-42102-0-97260400-1430073120_thumb.j

Yep, but only done at home with basic kit.

Bought a Karcher jet wash, snow foam lance, megs DA, and detailer kit, and some various bits and peices that I've collected over time. But that 50 Cal filler glaze is excellent and has made a clear difference.

Yep, but only done at home with basic kit.

Bought a Karcher jet wash, snow foam lance, megs DA, and detailer kit, and some various bits and peices that I've collected over time. But that 50 Cal filler glaze is excellent and has made a clear difference.

Have you got a link to where you got the 50 Cal from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk