Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

4 hours ago, ger said:

If you hear any clunks from your wipers, check them out. If your car has done over say 120 thousand, it might be a wise piece of 'preventative maintenance' to carry out. I seriously wouldn't want the wipers failing on me 'on the road' and for £12 (and 5p), it's well worth it. 

This is the kit I bought:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F262811430562

I had this happen to me, wiper arm pretty much fell off on the way to work on a dark rainy morning.  Rain-X got me through that. The replacement arm cost me £75ish from Cotswold who were quick, and reliable and I wasn't going to wait for eBay and Royal Mail to take days/lose the package. Get it done now for peanuts and avoid having a nightmare commute. 

On 1/27/2019 at 10:47 AM, ger said:

If you hear any clunks from your wipers, check them out. If your car has done over say 120 thousand, it might be a wise piece of 'preventative maintenance' to carry out. I seriously wouldn't want the wipers failing on me 'on the road' and for £12 (and 5p), it's well worth it. 

This is the kit I bought:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F262811430562

Noticed rust marks on the drivers wiper linkages so thought I’d give this kit a go (only it was the one for the older model). Fitted today and good job I did as one bearing was seized solid and the other had a lot of play in it.

Thanks for the heads up on that one, could have been expensive if the arm decided to part ways with the rest of the car.

Had a rare visit to Oxford today. Whilst avoiding the over enthusiastic parking enforcement vultures and squeezing into a rediculously tiny space, I grazed up a front ali on a curb. Grrr!

Finally got the MIFY working. It only took 4 days. B)  EE, Ladies and Gentlemen, are an absolute shower of shite.  

Tyres fitted tomorrow B)

Edited by Deviant

Today we mainly be getting 4 wheel alignment and some refrigerant.

The steering wheel now points in the right direction.....

Big thanks to Autotechnics in Dorset.

RgdS Paj 

20190208_164637.jpg

20190208_164457.jpg

1 hour ago, Deviant said:

Coded the voltage check to off on the LEDs. The flickering at startup and an intermittent nag that a headlight bulb had wrongly blown started to wear thin.  

I also need to do this. Can it be done for HIDs too? As I installed some last week and am starting to get bulb out errors on start up. Did you use Carly?

53 minutes ago, Duff said:

I also need to do this. Can it be done for HIDs too? As I installed some last week and am starting to get bulb out errors on start up. Did you use Carly?

Yes, I did use Carly, there are loads of options that you can choose :)

Edited by Deviant

Not mine but still an E61, I collected a coach drivers E61 as he is away for a week, word gets around about the work I do and this is another case of "can you help me"

I have it to repair the coax and washer pipe in the tailgate, I had to buy a special crimper to do it and genuine BMW repair connectors as other SMB ones are known not to fit well, any excuse to buy a new tool :ph34r:

It also has various other faults, I have not said I can fix them all but I can diagnose them as I think the TCU is shot, if not a break in the optical link but I have a loop to test it.

The tailgate wires are shot and have been bodged up so that is 1st on the list.

One thing this car did point out to me is what great condition mine is in!

2019-02-13.png

The plot thickens, some serious bodge work at play, rear demister earth broke so they put it to the hinge, someone then decided to go for broke and run an earth to the other loom on the right that I have yet to open. I have started the earth repair on the left hinge and stuck a repair connector in one side of the washer pipe. Once the pipe is back in place I will put adhesive lined heat shrink over it as that is the BMW repair, the 4mm barbed connector is to double up on the repair as that section will outlive this car!

The spaghetti above the battery has been split to break the glass hatch switch connection as it randomly pops open, I have confirmed the switch is fubar as it stops once unplugged. Cap was taken off and switch cleaner sprayed in but that didn't help so I need to split the contact to see if it savable. I will be fitting a switch on the boot to break the connection to tide him over until he wants to spend £50 on a switch.

I get the feeling I will be replacing the other 3 looms.

20190216_083635.jpg

20190216_105834.jpg

20190216_105836.jpg

20190216_114114.jpg

20190216_114953.jpg

Yesterday lifted the bonnet for once in a long time and did a well overdue oil change.. Working it out my car does about 2200 miles a year on average.. 

Edited by Blobby

That is probably what I'll have done by the time my MOT comes up again. In the first year I did a lot of miles but then it reduced to 5-6k miles per year and now down to about 2k. I put it on the CTek charger once a week now to make sure the battery stays in good shape.

I have got new wheels too. (And another quick wash)

Picked up some MV2's from a great guy called Darren in Wells, Somerset. He's fitted Spiders.

Hope to get some spacers on the rear wheels.....

RgdS Paj 

2019-02-18 07.58.13.jpg

2019-02-15 13.39.24.jpg

1 hour ago, Tuvoc said:

Big improvement !  I do think those standard 17s are pretty decent as well, is the tyre size 225/50 on all four ?

Yes they were, and to be honest it rode really well on the 17's.

I am loving the grip and quick response of the mv2's (245/40/18)

RgdS Paj 

Well the old girl got some love today. 

My mate has a garage at the back of his house with a full lift and everything needed to do anything on a car. 

Propshaft centre bearing, exhaust flexi and an oil service. 

Used an air saw to cut the pipe at the flexi, removed the remaining exhaust from the car to make the prop easier to get to. 

New prop bearing was too small so we had to press the old centre bearing out from the split remaining rubber and press it into the new rubber part. Job 1 done. 

New flexi was supposed to be an easier replacement with the pipes on either end so the bend was set. It was an inch short so we welded a small piece of pipe at the cat end of the flexi and tacked it then welded it all the way round. Done with the cat still on the car. A bit tight but doable. 

Dropped the oil and put new filter and filled with fresh stuff bought from opie. 

Started at 10.30 this morning and finished around 5.30. A few brew breaks and just took it easy. 

It didn't go quite as easy as expected but we've had worse. 

Drives nice once again. 

22 hours ago, Paj said:

Yes they were, and to be honest it rode really well on the 17's.

I am loving the grip and quick response of the mv2's (245/40/18)

RgdS Paj 

Yeah, I'd probably be happier with the ride of 17s. Unfortunately my 18s are staggered, so 245/40 front and 275/35 rear.

Into our local indy today for MOT, vehicle check, engine oil and filter and brake fluid change.

Clean MOT ticket, no advisories, and diags report couple of glow plugs failed (which I knew from Carly) but otherwise all good. Happy days! :)

Changed the water pump, thermostat and serpentine belt today.  Water pump pulley had detached itself the other day and allowed me to experience the RAC relay service.  

Job went well on the driveway but still took me 4 hours to complete.  Wish I still had access to a lift and a full set of tools.    

I did the swirl flaps on my 530d Touring yesterday along with the glow plug controller and plugs, I was so pleased with how it felt afterwards I decided that while in the mood I would change the control arms with some new Lemforder ones today. 

Car is feeling spot on, mine is an SE and even at 12 years old, 57 plate, riding better than my 535d Sport ever did when new. 

I have it for sale but thinking do I really want to sell it?

I had sort of agreed a price on the nice black 64 plate on autotrader, the one with B&O sound system if anyone has been looking. 

But do I really want to sell mine for £5500 and pay £17500 for that? I'm just not sure it is worth it?

Edited by gIzzE

Retrofitted high beam assist today, finished off my cracked windscreen fighting to get the new mirror on so I booked a new one on the insurance. It needed doing anyway...