Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

3 minutes ago, Syemondo said:

Had to repair the tailgate lhs loom. The other 3 were done last year. It wasn't opening the full tailgate so I was having to pop the glass and use the manual release. 

A pain in the arse when you have to open and close it multiple times a day. 

Anyway, new wire grafted in and sorted. 

Three tyres fitted and then 12 months Mot done this morning. 

204k miles and counting. 

What tyres did you go for? 

MOT time again, christ a year has flown by, flew threw with no advisories, needn't of worried about the gutted DPF and EGR delete no problems at all.

Happy days......

16 minutes ago, Deviant said:

That's more like it. Were they a ballache to fit? 

Na wasnt too bad, just pulled the whole headlight assembly out to give me a bit more room to play with and managed to squeeze my hand in!!

Edited by Modge

53 minutes ago, Modge said:

Na wasnt too bad, just pulled the whole headlight assembly out to give me a bit more room to play with and managed to squeeze my hand in!!

Where did you get them from? 

6 minutes ago, Deviant said:

Where did you get them from? 

Off ebay. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292731295439

Also ordered LED dipped beam and fog lights they should be here tomorrow, probably going to put a HID conversion on the high beams too.

Will get pics up once all done.

10 minutes ago, Modge said:

Off ebay. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292731295439

Also ordered LED dipped beam and fog lights they should be here tomorrow, probably going to put a HID conversion on the high beams too.

I'm pretty certain my halos have W5W wedge sidelight bulbs. 

4 minutes ago, Deviant said:

I'm pretty certain my halos have W5W wedge sidelight bulbs. 

Mine had these in it, I believe this is the standard set up for the LCI E60s with halogens, the new ones I got just replace the whole lamp assembly and clamp straight in.  If you have xenon headlights you need a different type, think its an H8 bulb the xenon angel eyes take.  I think pre LCI are the wedge type bulbs.

20181009_184056.jpg

20181009_184108.jpg

I replaced mine the other day as i managed to kill the old LED bulb electronics. I forgot to fit the resistor to stop it bringing up the bulb fault which BTW comes up randomly, like midway a 2 hour journey :blink:. I'm gonna have to remember how to code the checks out

On 10/9/2018 at 6:26 PM, Modge said:

Off ebay. 

HID was great in my car, the best upgrade I have done after changing tires to Non-runflat!

I am not sure but check if HID converted cars will pass MOT under new rules.

2 hours ago, Vlady said:

HID was great in my car, the best upgrade I have done after changing tires to Non-runflat!

I am not sure but check if HID converted cars will pass MOT under new rules.

Yeah from my understanding by the letter of the law a car with an aftermarket HID conversion wont pass tge new MOT. Luckily a family friend does my MOTs so can probably be persuaded to turn a blind eye!!

3 hours ago, Blobby said:

I replaced mine the other day as i managed to kill the old LED bulb electronics. I forgot to fit the resistor to stop it bringing up the bulb fault which BTW comes up randomly, like midway a 2 hour journey :blink:. I'm gonna have to remember how to code the checks out

First run to work with mine fitted this morning, randomly the left hand one kept coming up as bulb failed on the idrive but clearing after a couple of minutes however it was definetly still on as I could see the reflection in the car infront when I was stopped in traffic.  Given the right hand side never came up as a fault I suspect that the resistor may  just be loose so will have a look tonight, hopefully it will ve an easy fix otherwise im going to need to learn to code!!!

1 hour ago, Modge said:

Yeah from my understanding by the letter of the law a car with an aftermarket HID conversion wont pass tge new MOT. Luckily a family friend does my MOTs so can probably be persuaded to turn a blind eye!!

Mine passed on Tuesday with aftermarket hids, no problem at all, the MOT bloke did say if my car was after 2009 it would of failed due to not having headlamp washers

1 hour ago, Misterbish said:

Mine passed on Tuesday with aftermarket hids, no problem at all, the MOT bloke did say if my car was after 2009 it would of failed due to not having headlamp washers

What is the policy on the headlamp washers? I thought it was just if your car had them fitted they had to work? I didnt think it was anyrhing to do with the year.

4 hours ago, Modge said:

What is the policy on the headlamp washers? I thought it was just if your car had them fitted they had to work? I didnt think it was anyrhing to do with the year.

Same here I thought that also

5 hours ago, Modge said:

HIDs on a sept 09 or 2012 or later without headlight washers is a fail iirc. Something like that. 

Edited by Deviant

1 hour ago, Deviant said:

HIDs on a sept 09 or 2012 or later without headlight washers is a fail iirc. Something like that. 

They certainly dont make things easy do they?!?!

9 hours ago, Modge said:

First run to work with mine fitted this morning, randomly the left hand one kept coming up as bulb failed on the idrive but clearing after a couple of minutes however it was definetly still on as I could see the reflection in the car infront when I was stopped in traffic.  Given the right hand side never came up as a fault I suspect that the resistor may  just be loose so will have a look tonight, hopefully it will ve an easy fix otherwise im going to need to learn to code!!!

Turns out it was just a crap connector on the new LED light, just put a bit of electric tape round it to hold it together and all is well! No more errors!

18 minutes ago, Modge said:

They certainly dont make things easy do they?!?!

Clarification: 

Existing halogen headlamp units shouldn’t be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.

You must inspect vehicles first used on or after 1 September 2009 equipped with headlamp washers.

1. Headlamp cleaning device:

1. inoperative
Minor
  1. inoperative in the case of LED or gas discharge systems (HID)
Major

Cars after Sept 09 must have working reverse lights too.