Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

3 hours ago, Misterbish said:

Couldn't for the life of me get it out through the bottom or the top of the engine must of spent 30 minutes trying every way i could, in the end removing the heat shield and hydraulic line was the only way to make room, maybe its different on mine as you see you have a 535D

I did take the mounting bracket off on the inlet side as it said so in ISTA but the exhaust side with the extra turbo in the way came out, maybe luck of the draw with the LCI?

Tried to fit a 12v accessory socket under the passenger side on my LCI as they don't come with one. Then found out why they didn't come with one, threw toys out of pram and stripped down a tomtom fag lighter adapter to make it into a hardwire kit. No more adapter in the ashtray getting in my way as I also fitted the universal phone adapter onto the snap in plate.

Decided to tidy up the retrofitted Westfalia tow bar wiring and moved the earth points out of sight and wired the 12v lines into the fuse panel the same as the BMW kit has.

It was a nice break from the kids :ph34r:

1 hour ago, ger said:

Why don't lci's cone with tge passenger 12v socket? Been thinking of this myself..

No room due to the module carrier :(

I will be coming up with another plan to fit something along the lines of surface mounted USB outlets

Edited by GoNz0

9 hours ago, NoSmokeNoPoke said:

Washed it as the old girl will be up for sale soon. 535d on Hybrids. 

7ECF82B8-5B17-44E6-801C-2261D1C2CBE4.jpeg

Would you sell wheels? Cash + spyders

Hello guys I got BMW 530D e60 and I have all 6 glow plugs coming up as fault, I have changed two Glow plugs relays since then, and another one  has failed again, does anyone know what maybe causing this? Thanks

You might have six dead glow plugs!

Have you confirmed that the glow plugs themselves are ok? You can measure their resistance between their central terminal and the head, should be very low, about 1 to 2 ohms (do a search to get correct value). Anyway,  dead glow plugs are usually a lot more.

If they're ok, I don't know what the issue may be, you could be very unlucky. 

Spill and fill on the 6hp19 gearbox.  I used Meyle ATF Plus 6 which was the same colour as the used oil. Reset the adaptions and took it for a drive. All good so far, There were no codes on the transmission before, I'll check it again next weekend. 

Finished fitting these:

20180827_235329.thumb.jpg.72a5b8b449b7893e58493120d44c760b.jpg

Maxton design sill extenders. Not quite a 'straightforward job' as I wanted to keep the pull rod end covers. Measured a lot, made some templates, holes and slots and modified the covers a bit and hey presto, they're on :) (covers are the grey things amidst all that black!):

20180827_235749.thumb.jpg.b9e98735669cc67558fa154b0c8d5d40.jpg

They aren't just bolt on though, they also need to be bonded which means a bit of preparation and of course, the adhesive, which wasn't supplied. I used some Tiger-seal, doubt they're going anywhere soon :)

Also, the screws only go into the original plastic sill cover, they don't reach the metal body.

It's taken ages but I think they look good. I wnated to paint under the sills, there were some marks under there and I didn't want them being reflected in the new, shiny sills! Car had to be raised onto blocks to be able to get under the sides, you can't work on them with anything under the jack pad.

I undid all of the lower sill mountings (the Tx25 plastic ones) and found a ton of soil hiding behind them! It was incredible, it just kept on coming!! Obviously it had been collecting over the years; doesn't help that the previous owner was a vet who must have spent a lot of time in fields! Nice and clean now, might be checking this every year or two..

Will need to make some jacking pad inserts now as the sills go under the jacking pads by a bit. It would have been nice to know these things before fitting, I can't take it off the ramp, I don't want to crack them!

The inserts need to be about 24mm tall and fit in the pad cavity, which is 58.7 x 34.2mm, as I've measured them. I'll make some temp ones in the morning...

Adjusted my handbrake, haven't been happy with it since i got the car, wouldn't hold the car when in drive and having only just fitted new engine mounts i didn't want to put unnecessary strain on them by holding the car in park when i have parked up.

I couldn't manage to do it with the disk on, so removed the rear disk's, gave the brake linings a good clean and quick sand paper including the inside of the brake hub's, adjusted until the brake linings slightly rubbed backed off 2 clicks and re-assembled, i now have a solid feeling handbrake with 8 clicks.

Happy days

Today I wondered the exact order of the steps needed to remove my cylinder head.

Some months ago now I was driving home and as usual giving it some right foot, I have a pre lci 535d E61 from 2005, so this thing hits the limiter in 5th gear at about 4800 rpm and just at that moment at 250kmph, I live in Germany, I hear a bang and the engine dropped a cylinder.  I lift off and cruise home on five.  So what is the problem?  That is the question I need the head off in order to answer.  

My initial thought was that the bang was the oil dip stick hitting the underside of the bonnet as there are no holes in the block and it keeps oil and nothing in the coolant.  Also the place was covered in oil and the dip stick was out.

So, I have contemplated piston rings, piston hole, and valves among other problems.  I have done a cylinder pressure test and have 0 pressure in 6.  I also did a leak down test and it seemed that pressure was escaping through the exhaust side of the head.  All that said, I hope that the issue is with the head but I am still guessing.  

I'm not a mechanic but have decided to do the work myself.  It is a challenge for sure and I am now at the difficult part.  Next few days is crunch time, so wish me luck! :D

2018-08-25 12.17.23.jpg

Edited by Jdsm75

On 8/19/2018 at 10:45 PM, NoSmokeNoPoke said:

Washed it as the old girl will be up for sale soon. 535d on Hybrids. 

7ECF82B8-5B17-44E6-801C-2261D1C2CBE4.jpeg

Love your wheels what are they?  Great looking example!!

3 hours ago, Misterbish said:

Adjusted my handbrake, haven't been happy with it since i got the car, wouldn't hold the car when in drive and having only just fitted new engine mounts i didn't want to put unnecessary strain on them by holding the car in park when i have parked up.

I couldn't manage to do it with the disk on, so removed the rear disk's, gave the brake linings a good clean and quick sand paper including the inside of the brake hub's, adjusted until the brake linings slightly rubbed backed off 2 clicks and re-assembled, i now have a solid feeling handbrake with 8 clicks.

Happy days

I changed the brakes all round and now have an issue with the hand brake iI suspect it something to do with the cable perhaps at the handbrake handle side, any idea how I can approach checking that?  Also, what is with the Renault 5 thermostat??

On 8/22/2018 at 4:38 PM, Bmw12344 said:

Hello guys I got BMW 530D e60 and I have all 6 glow plugs coming up as fault, I have changed two Glow plugs relays since then, and another one  has failed again, does anyone know what maybe causing this? Thanks

**sorry I didn't read properly, you already change the relay a couple of times - did you change the plugs as well each time?  Have you checked the connectors at the control unit?  Mine were a little brittle and broken and needed attended to before all was well** You should change the Control unit.  Usually if all 6 come up dead its the control unit and in any case check the resistance first to confirm which are dead.  Be very careful removing them - hot engine lots of release oil if they don't come out with light pressure keep spraying and trying light pressure as you don't want to break one and leave the broken end in the head, stuff of nightmares!  Also, changing the control unit is a bit of a bastard due to access but it is fairly basic.  Good luck!  Ohh and you need a thin long socket (from memory 12 but not sure) especially for number 6 which is narrower than the others.

Edited by Jdsm75

22 minutes ago, Jdsm75 said:

Today I wondered the exact order of the steps needed to remove my cylinder head.

Some months ago now I was driving home and as usual giving it some right foot, I have a pre lci 535d E61 from 2005, so this thing hits the limiter in 5th gear at about 4800 rpm and just at that moment at 250kmph, I live in Germany, I hear a bang and the engine dropped a cylinder.  I lift off and cruise home on five.  So what is the problem?  That is the question I need the head off in order to answer.  

My initial thought was that the bang was the oil dip stick hitting the underside of the bonnet as there are no holes in the block and it keeps oil and nothing in the coolant.  Also the place was covered in oil and the dip stick was out.

So, I have contemplated piston rings, piston hole, and valves among other problems.  I have done a cylinder pressure test and have 0 pressure in 6.  I also did a leak down test and it seemed that pressure was escaping through the exhaust side of the head.  All that said, I hope that the issue is with the head but I am still guessing.  

I'm not a mechanic but have decided to do the work myself.  It is a challenge for sure and I am now at the difficult part.  Next few days is crunch time, so wish me luck! :D

2018-08-25 12.17.23.jpg

Best of luck with the job. Have you wondered if it's a swirl flap??

3 minutes ago, ger said:

Best of luck with the job. Have you wondered if it's a swirl flap??

Thanks a lot I will need it!  Removing the flaps was the first job I did on the car, that and the thermostats, so thankfully not likely.  I did think about valve float though but that is a new to me and I have no idea if that is likely problem for this engine, have you heard anything about it with this engine?

Edited by Jdsm75

Removed inlet manifold, added 0.5mm shims under lower manifold mounts (between rubber washer and ‘hat') to increase compression of the seals, I was having some weeping from this area, 0.5mm won't harm anythi h but will increase the pressure.
Removed lower engine covers, plastic and aluminium, to gain better access to gearbox oil cooler.  Removed oil lines and fitted new o rings-went through a lot with changing the oil cooler some time ago but didn't get tge o-rings in time.
Checked gearbox oil level, replaced lost fluid (lost about 300 to 400ml).
Replaced the last four short pieces of vacuum hoses at the rear right of the engine, just above dpf. All are now silicone :)
Replaced seals in the charge pipes.
Changed front left tyre for a Cinturato, previous one was damaged having kissed a pavement!
Fitted new front left fog light, both are now nice and new.

Just now, Jdsm75 said:

Thanks a lot I will need it!  Removing the flaps was the first job I did on the car, that and the thermostats, so thankfully not likely.  I did think about valve float though but that is a new to me and I have no idea if that is likely problem for this engine, have you heard anything about it with this engine?

Not heard anything really, they're pretty much 'bomb proof' from what I gathered. It will be interesting seeing what you find.

2 minutes ago, ger said:

Removed inlet manifold, added 0.5mm shims under lower manifold mounts (between rubber washer and ‘hat') to increase compression of the seals, I was having some weeping from this area, 0.5mm won't harm anythi h but will increase the pressure.
Removed lower engine covers, plastic and aluminium, to gain better access to gearbox oil cooler.  Removed oil lines and fitted new o rings-went through a lot with changing the oil cooler some time ago but didn't get tge o-rings in time.
Checked gearbox oil level, replaced lost fluid (lost about 300 to 400ml).
Replaced the last four short pieces of vacuum hoses at the rear right of the engine, just above dpf. All are now silicone :)
Replaced seals in the charge pipes.
Changed front left tyre for a Cinturato, previous one was damaged having kissed a pavement!
Fitted new front left fog light, both are now nice and new.

Good work!  Because she is worth it ;)

4 minutes ago, ger said:

Not heard anything really, they're pretty much 'bomb proof' from what I gathered. It will be interesting seeing what you find.

I'll keep you posted in here, will take photos of what I find... its been so long and so much speculation that I am excited to find out and at the same time very nervous about not being able to put it all back together again... I just do what I always do, carry on regardless, slowly and carefully!