Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:19 PM, JimmE said:

Not too bad though a little fiddly. I’d found a couple of guides online. When I first planned to change it, the issue was that the glass would pop open on its own, but by the time I got around to it, I could no longer open it at all.

The biggest issue i had was that you really need the glass open to replace it! There is an emergency release under the interior tailgate trim, but you need the glass open to remove the trim... viscious circle! In the end I removed the screws from the inner trim, removed a screw from the tailgate latch enough for me to loosen/wiggle the interior trim away from the tailgate, so that O could get a torch in and used a small screwdriver gaffer-taped to the end of a cable rod to operate the manual release on the glass. A YouTube video of someone doing it with the trim fully removed helped - I’d not have known where to poke the screwdriver else!

After that, replacing the switch was easy enough, next hardest part was that after removing the wiper, there was a metal insert that was ‘stuck’ onto the wiper shaft, some plusgas and mole grips required to remove that - not worried about damaging it as it’s replaced as part of the new switch. It’s a plastic part on the new switch, presumably to prevent it corroding and welding itself to the shaft again! 

Was about 1.5 hrs total, although I don’t rush, but it would be less if I had known how to open the glass, or if you can still open your glass occasionally!

Worth doing though - new genuine switch on eBay for £40, and everything working as it should again :-) have had the part sat on the bench a couple of months - wish i’d got it done sooner now!

Decent write up as mine needs looked at...do you have a link to the ebay part..

Finally re-fitted the headlight correctly. I removed it a few weeks ago after the Corona bulb went, since then i could never get it to sit in right - the bottom clip on the outer side of the headlight wouldn't engage. So i took the time today to remove the headlight (again), loosen off the bumper and remove the wheel arch liner. 

The process being; attach headlight to mounting bracket, sit in place. Bolt mounting bracket in place via access in wheel arch access, and work my way backwards refitting all the bolts. It wasn't as bad as i was expecting and everything went smoothly. 

Replaced my crankshaft pulley, quite an easy job, done from the top of the car under 1 hour

Rear top mounts done today as I had 2 hours to kill and a hangover to sweat out.