Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

Haha cheers guys. I need to... get my 'friends' car on the rolling road soon, but it requires a fuel filter change and a sodding big cone filter first - I, I mean he has run out of airbox and has maxed out what the standard airbox with a K&N filter in it will flow. Hopefully early to mid July there will be rolling road figures.

What I love about it is if it's treated nicely and just plodding along at 70-80 on the motorway with the rest of the world, it'll still average 43-45MPG.

Edited by Mashed Potatoes

Washed and waxed it tonight for the first time in a few weeks. I did find a couple of little rust spots forming too. Mainly on the A pillars and the leading edge of the roof. It's been crashed at least once in its life and it's at least 3 shades of blue. I know a good paint guy so I'm going to get a price on a blow over so the little flecks of rust and little dents can be sorted and it'll be one complete colour then too. Will also roll the back arches whilst I'm at it.

On 6/24/2018 at 12:04 AM, F10 530d said:

In response to the vid - all I have to say is holy f**k! Would give M5's a real hard run for their money thats for sure! Wow.

No chance, having driven an F10 M5 on saturday and allowed to absolutely nail it in MDM mode the thing is an animal!!

3 minutes ago, Grizzle_E60 said:

No chance, having driven an F10 M5 on saturday and allowed to absolutely nail it in MDM mode the thing is an animal!!

Agreed. An E60 M5 would be close, but it wouldn't see which way the F10 M5 went. The F10 one is almost scary how fast it will accelerate isn't it!

3 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Agreed. An E60 M5 would be close, but it wouldn't see which way the F10 M5 went. The F10 one is almost scary how fast it will accelerate isn't it!

BMW 535D F10 N57 313BHP/630Nm stage 2 @ 420BHP/790Nm

That must be pretty quick for an oil burner though....I mean, that's more than the E39 M5 produced...

9 minutes ago, Dotcom1970 said:

BMW 535D F10 N57 313BHP/630Nm stage 2 @ 420BHP/790Nm

That must be pretty quick for an oil burner though....I mean, that's more than the E39 M5 produced...

They feel quick but they don't have the drama of a petrol. Obviously in a petrol the more you rev it the harder they pull. As fast as diesels are they just don't get the same sort of sensation if you get what I mean. 

3 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

They feel quick but they don't have the drama of a petrol. Obviously in a petrol the more you rev it the harder they pull. As fast as diesels are they just don't get the same sort of sensation if you get what I mean. 

I'm all about the torque (with apologies) :lol:

Nice one MP.. That friend certainly has a fast car.

I see the traction control wasn't turned off all the way as it kept interfering..

45 minutes ago, Blobby said:

Nice one MP.. That friend certainly has a fast car.

I see the traction control wasn't turned off all the way as it kept interfering..

The traction nanny does kick in rather a lot. It just does impressive one tyre fires with it all the way off :lol:. Said friend needs an LSD but doesn't have the funds for it at the moment. 

Not quite today but last night. We all worked late to get a car ready to go out for more testing this weekend, got that done and then fitted Powerflex ARB bushes to mine. Will do the other front arms next week. 

20 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

The traction nanny does kick in rather a lot. It just does impressive one tyre fires with it all the way off :lol:. Said friend needs an LSD but doesn't have the funds for it at the moment. 

Not quite today but last night. We all worked late to get a car ready to go out for more testing this weekend, got that done and then fitted Powerflex ARB bushes to mine. Will do the other front arms next week. 

I used strongflex bushes on mine - just as good, but a fraction of the price :)

Stopped the engine and heard an alarming sound - The Belt Drive Vibration Damper in the belt assembly had let go - fortunately no damage to the engine, fan shroud, fan or radiator!!  It had been making a funny squealing noise for a while.

So top tip, any funny belt noises, get it checked out ASAP.

11 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

If you hold your DTC button down it will turn it off completely. Pushing it once is for snow. 

I know it turns it off cos I purposely wrecked a rear tyre (RFT) just before i was getting them changed.. Wheel-spinning on a rough road caused a whole strip of rubber to come off. Also i nearly drifted it on a roundabout once, but then some poo came out so i stopped :D

Oh and whilst flooring it on a damp road the bum started to go sideways at 60mph.. Again poo came out 

Edited by Blobby

3 hours ago, Blobby said:

If you hold your DTC button down it will turn it off completely. Pushing it once is for snow. 

I know it turns it off cos I purposely wrecked a rear tyre (RFT) just before i was getting them changed.. Wheel-spinning on a rough road caused a whole strip of rubber to come off. Also i nearly drifted it on a roundabout once, but then some poo came out so i stopped :D

Oh and whilst flooring it on a damp road the bum started to go sideways at 60mph.. Again poo came out 

Wuss :lol:  I learned to drive in a 3 Litre Capri, so love a bit of sideways action, the only problem I find is encouraging the BMW to play in the dry...Might invest in some 16" alloys and rubbish tyres for a laugh though....

Edited by Dotcom1970

LOL likewise, a V6 cortina, with crap rubber on a fixed rear axel and garanteed to lock or fade brakes :blink: for the Cannon Ball Run to WSMare.

Long day on the lift, replaced front anti roll bar bushes and changed rear anti roll bar to M-sport spec with new bushes.

IMG_20180628_133250_zpslxiklmpa.jpg

Car was smoking with MAF code, bit perplexed. Little bit of oil around the engine cover gave a clue. Temporarly wrapped it with gaffer tape which was good enough for town driving. Replaced the pipe and cleaned the intercooler.

IMG_20180628_121126_zpsz9ife0m1.jpg

Just now, jake13 said:

Car was smoking with MAF code, bit perplexed. Little bit of oil around the engine cover gave a clue. Temporarly wrapped it with gaffer tape which was good enough for town driving. Replaced the pipe and cleaned the intercooler.

IMG_20180628_121126_zpsz9ife0m1.jpg

A good degreasing with brake cleaner and the a load of tightly wrapped duck tape, and a few cable ties to pin everything in place so the hose didn't want to expand saw me through a track day once. 

..... And it lasted a good two months after until I remembered I'd botched it on the day. :lol:

As a side note, Jake do you have any idea if it's possible to get the individual metal clips that go on the boost pipe that joins to the throttle body on their own? BMW only want to sell me a whole new pipe. It looks like you've removed the clip in that picture.

29 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

A good degreasing with brake cleaner and the a load of tightly wrapped duck tape, and a few cable ties to pin everything in place so the hose didn't want to expand saw me through a track day once. 

..... And it lasted a good two months after until I remembered I'd botched it on the day. :lol:

As a side note, Jake do you have any idea if it's possible to get the individual metal clips that go on the boost pipe that joins to the throttle body on their own? BMW only want to sell me a whole new pipe. It looks like you've removed the clip in that picture.

These are crappy jubilee clips and the silicone wrapped pipe weren't cut square. The pipes are from Gonzo Iand. I was pressed for time and haven't had time to look at the engine bay to see if they are holding. The bottom clip to the intercooler is corroded so I doubt it's doing anything.  No MAF code under INPA.

Just buy the connector pipe.  Let me look around on the web for cheaper option.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turbo-Intercooler-Hose-Pipe-For-BMW-5-series-E60-E61-530d-03-10-525D-530D-535D/272931751890?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW&hash=item3f8c0007d2:g:E90AAOSwCJxaCorr

Edited by jake13

1 hour ago, jake13 said:

These are crappy jubilee clips and the silicone wrapped pipe weren't cut square. The pipes are from Gonzo Iand. I was pressed for time and haven't had time to look at the engine bay to see if they are holding. The bottom clip to the intercooler is corroded so I doubt it's doing anything.  No MAF code under INPA.

Just buy the connector pipe.  Let me look around on the web for cheaper option.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turbo-Intercooler-Hose-Pipe-For-BMW-5-series-E60-E61-530d-03-10-525D-530D-535D/272931751890?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW&hash=item3f8c0007d2:g:E90AAOSwCJxaCorr

You utter legend. It's the metal horseshoe shaped clip is worn on mine, it's nearly gone through. BMW don't sell that separately. I had no idea you could get just that piece of pipe on its own. Thanks very much!

Gave it a very quick wash after some dirty b*****d s**t hawk seagull went to town on it in my work car park.

20180628_161103.jpg

9 hours ago, Modge said:

Gave it a very quick wash after some dirty b*****d s**t hawk seagull went to town on it in my work car park.

20180628_161103.jpg

Always the drivers side on the windscreen.. They never shit on the passenger side so you don't have to put your wipers through hell to get home