Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

Mines is going next year, thought about it for ages, after much thought and i will be doing less miles from now on its F10 M5 next 

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

680BHP/850Nm stage 1 ;)

yeh i'm just dropping you a message dude regarding the possible change (and a thanks for looking out and pricing up a hybrid for the e60) 

7 hours ago, NikBarclay said:

I’m thinking on selling mine too! Not sure how much I will miss her if she does go lol

I am thinking the same thing - I will miss her a lot! Washed today and took a few photos - she looks good! 

Finally got around to fitting my VAG inline thermostat to my transmission cooling hose, bitch of a job to get the thermostat into the smaller diameter hose, but once that was done pretty easy after that.....

Found a bloody 2 inch scratch earlier, which was really deep on the o/s wing and a smaller one just above it but again really deep. Looks like it could have been done by a shopping trolley or such like.

It's definitely a chips away job so I imagine £80ish? 

I'm obviously bothered about the money but I'm more pissed off with the general public who have no regard for other people's property. This is after finding a scrape on the rear bumper last week that will need doing, again I've no idea so presume it was done by another inconsiderate scrote. 

I've only had the car for 3 weeks !! 

Really fucked off tbh

Edited by warnie

1 hour ago, Misterbish said:

Finally got around to fitting my VAG inline thermostat to my transmission cooling hose, bitch of a job to get the thermostat into the smaller diameter hose, but once that was done pretty easy after that.....

Worth it though, proper temps again!

I had the pipes in near boiling water to do it.

Edited by GoNz0

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:08 PM, Grizzle_E60 said:

Mines is going next year, thought about it for ages, after much thought and i will be doing less miles from now on its F10 M5 next 

Grizzle your car is beautiful, it will sell in a day for good money! :)

15 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

Worth it though, proper temps again!

I had the pipes in near boiling water to do it.

Got through 2 full kettles in the end using 15mm long socket finishing with 17mm long socket to stretch the pipe, took over an hour to stretch both ends. 

I did work from the top of the engine though, couldn't be bothered to get it up on the ramps and remove the undertray.

20180607_121727.jpg.17660734ef529ce82319b639091dda90.jpg

Oil & filter change and air filter change. Also checked intake to turbo sealed and no leaks, plus any boost pipes i could also access got the once over. Checked PCV was clean & working too.

Then finally checked discs & pads, marginally warped and getting close to min thickness - new pads and discs in a few weeks. 

Well the old girl has been pulling 1.2 ton of caravan this last week from Manchester to Cornwall and back. 

With the mileage done on days out it came to 807 miles averaging a snip under 30mpg which is 5mpg less than the previous e46 320d on the same journey. 

Very happy with that as it tows so much better, it didn't miss a beat and the seat was good with no back issues since the repair and air bladder inserts

In the process the car hit 200k miles. 

Satan turned into a seagull and crapped acid onto the painwork, which has permanently bubbled up a 6 inch patch of clear coat.

Nasty, initially set rock hard like a wheatabix mixed with superglue. Grr! :-x

Good job it's an 11 year old, a newer one and I might be out with a shotgun looking for revenge.

Edited by DarkHorse
dyslexic mo-foe!

Sold it. No more waiting nervously to see what's gonna fail next, whether it's gonna conk out in a cloud of smoke again. No more anxiously checking the forums to see what fates others are suffering. No more £36.00 for a side light bulb.

Thanks BMW, its been a blast.

3 minutes ago, Phil adams said:

Sold it. No more waiting nervously to see what's gonna fail next, whether it's gonna conk out in a cloud of smoke again. No more anxiously checking the forums to see what fates others are suffering. No more £36.00 for a side light bulb.

Hi Phil, this is how I felt when I sold mine last week! Always waiting on something to go wrong even though that e60 was the most reliable car I have had but could not help thinking about all the potential things to go wrong!

I will always like an e60 if I see one in good condition and well looked after!

What did you go for instead if I may ask?

On reflection, it was a good car, as cars go. Trouble is Mrs Phil told me not to buy it in the first place, so every single thing was turned back at me. To be fair, we did 30,000 miles in 3 years, in comfort and style, but with 172,000 miles on the clock it was getting ever more of an anxious experience driving it. It did conk out in a cloud of smoke last August, the day before we were booked for a holiday in Holland, and 2 days after I'd had the glow plug controller and glow plugs changed in the garage. And it was starting to fail again, something to do with the EGR, but I never found out what. DIS said it was the swirl valve actuator, and frankly, that was it for me. "Gave" it away, but Ive cut my losses. Hoping to retire later this year and wont need 2 cars anymore anyway.

When I read the threads on here I think one thing, Thank fuck I didn't buy a diesel.

I had a petrol E46 for three years and my petrol E60 for 15 months and neither have left me walking nor have had I had a huge bill.

Just the normal wear and tear stuff.:)

9 hours ago, Phil adams said:

I know what you mean. I've had mine for five and a half years now. Spent a scary amount of money in the first couple of years - almost as much as I paid for the car actually - but last couple of years it has hasn't needed anything much. MOT next month will be a worrying time, my luck is surely due to run out. Don't buy these cars if you want a stress free life.