Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

1 hour ago, M88rt j said:

Fitted a replacement door seal as mine had worn thru causing a bit of wind noise , also did another gearbox service as mine was leaking from the sump,  did my brothers 530i as well which cured a nasty vibration under load whilst driving , 160k and on the original sump and oil, drives like a dream now 

It shouldn't leak with genuine zf pan if torqued to spec. Did you replace the pan bolts as well?

28 minutes ago, jake13 said:

It shouldn't leak with genuine zf pan if torqued to spec. Did you replace the pan bolts as well?

Yes it was a genuine pan and new bolts too

5 hours ago, jonboy_1 said:

Thanks GoNz0, the drive is nice and level and ive got osme good axle stands so in theory should be ok. Any useful tips is always useful.

I think as long as the new oil is nice and warm and i get myself a decent hand pump it wil be ok.

Cheers

I used this https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Suction-Vacuum-Transfer-Syringe-Extractor/dp/B00CLCMCUG

Amazon have some nice pressurized ones around £16 though https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Draper-FHP-1L-23242-Multi-Purpose/dp/B008YFX1S6

You need ISTA or INPA to monitor the oil temp for the final top off, then reset the adaptations so it knows it has new oil and can relearn the shifts again.

Isn't there a drain plug? I'd like to a do quick drain and refill a while before doing a proper filter and sump change, to get the remaining oil in the torque converter a bit cleaner. 

If i could get 3 litres out first and then say 5 litres later...

Edited by Deviant

3 hours ago, Deviant said:

Isn't there a drain plug? I'd like to a do quick drain and refill a while before doing a proper filter and sump change, to get the remaining oil in the torque converter a bit cleaner. 

If i could get 3 litres out first and then say 5 litres later...

It has a drain plug, you will get nearly 8 out that way.

On 5/22/2018 at 11:30 AM, 525-Jay said:

A DPF or friendly MOT man? :D

Both.. Although I don't keep my MOT man in my shed next to my DPF

19 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

It has a drain plug, you will get nearly 8 out that way.

Really, that much? I thought the torque converter would hold most of it. I'm kinda tempted to just change the fluid and leave the filter.

Axle stands and on your back isn't much fun. I don't trust the garages near me not to fuck it up. 

On 5/25/2018 at 5:46 PM, Deviant said:

Really, that much? I thought the torque converter would hold most of it. I'm kinda tempted to just change the fluid and leave the filter.

Axle stands and on your back isn't much fun. I don't trust the garages near me not to fuck it up. 

Yep really, the TC holds more.

On 5/24/2018 at 4:49 PM, GoNz0 said:

I used this https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Suction-Vacuum-Transfer-Syringe-Extractor/dp/B00CLCMCUG

Amazon have some nice pressurized ones around £16 though https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Draper-FHP-1L-23242-Multi-Purpose/dp/B008YFX1S6

You need ISTA or INPA to monitor the oil temp for the final top off, then reset the adaptations so it knows it has new oil and can relearn the shifts again.

No do not reset the adaptions!!!  You are giving people false info. 

Finally got my ncs expert loaded and had a play , I managed to code the v= speedo , USA alarm siren , doors don’t fly open unlock when ignition turned off , alarm turns off when ignition key put in barrel and ign turned on - very useful when the key battery fails , wish I had that coded on my e39 was a nightmare driving home with the siren bellowing , Aux coded .

Added a 12s socket and split charger to the factory towbar and electrics. 

The osf leg and arm fitted the other day has cured the slight wander on the motorway.

Feels more flat and stable.

Cleaned the EGR out, not as bad as i was expecting. Swirl flap delete and all new seals, changed all glow plugs and module, new map sensor, new air filter and micro filters.

replaced my ambient temp sensor and connector but still showing -40c on the dash :(

Edited by Swynol

Not this thread particularly but I became a Gold member, now I can advertise my car here if I decide to sell her and go Lexus! :)

Hopefully someone is looking for a low mile e60! ;)

Had to take the panel that holds the bonnet locks off.. The offside one wasn't locking, turns out the grease had gone a bit hard, lots of penetrating oil later, all is good again.

While i had the bonnet up had look at the scuttle drains, pollen filters etc.. Lots of dirt and leaves on top and i swear a small ant colony on the nearside pollen filter housing, quick brushing later all clear, checked under the brake fluid reservoir all dry and surprisingly clean, but then my car has done just over 2000 miles in a year 

On 5/29/2018 at 7:15 PM, problemchild said:

Used CARLY to code USA style side markers (while forcing a regen)

JJ

Pics finally 

286FEB52-166F-4105-9FE4-3F680479B1F9.jpeg

CDC84542-1CC1-4A8C-A284-11E7918505E6.jpeg

Took the car for its air con regas today,left it with em for an hour or so,while I was leaving a classic rolls Royce silver Shadow was being delivered on a trailer for some TLC...came back an hour later to the boss telling me there had been a slight mishap... While unloading the silver Shadow it had rolled to far back and guess what stopped it....YEP...my flipping rear bumper....Greaaaat.... that'll be a bumper respay then..... daughter not happy coz the E60 is her prom car in 3 weeks....eeekkkkk.

6 hours ago, Simonr60 said:

Took the car for its air con regas today,left it with em for an hour or so,while I was leaving a classic rolls Royce silver Shadow was being delivered on a trailer for some TLC...came back an hour later to the boss telling me there had been a slight mishap... While unloading the silver Shadow it had rolled to far back and guess what stopped it....YEP...my flipping rear bumper....Greaaaat.... that'll be a bumper respay then..... daughter not happy coz the E60 is her prom car in 3 weeks....eeekkkkk.

While it's in for repair it would only be fair they lend you a 760 for your daughters prom

4 hours ago, Blobby said:

While it's in for repair it would only be fair they lend you a 760 for your daughters prom

That would be totally acceptable in my opinion....

Unfortunately I think I would need to remortgage the house to run it.... awesome machine but totally bonkers.B)

Today, fitted a new fuel pressure regulator to the pump. I was getting issues trying to hold 1800bar fuel rail pressure, but too low in the revs to be running out of in-tank pump not being able to feed it quickly enough or just running out of pump at higher revs. Replaced and boom off we go! Rail pressure back up from 1770 to 1800bar.  Still smokeless at 2.95bar. 

The gearbox is starting to groan now at full torque loads :lol:. Limiters might need to come down a touch.

On the plus side though the hot weather is perfect for tuning. The slight change in fuel density between hot and cold can make the difference between the car running out of fuel pump or not. If it takes it when the fuel temperature is high in hot weather, it'll be perfect in winter too.

Edited by Mashed Potatoes