Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

18 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

at the end of the diagnostics program where it said press the pedal 5 times for the final corner to finish

What diagnostic software do you use to do this task. 

21 minutes ago, Misterbish said:

What diagnostic software do you use to do this task. 

ISTA/D

Had a quick go at the headlights earlier. Made a decent difference but I need to get the sandpaper out for a perfect finish. Leather done yesterday and I ordered some new centercaps for the alloys, an m sport badge for the boot and the 3 m sport stripes for the front grill. 

That's it for mods ! The car is fine as it is apart from I'd like a little more noise from the V8..so maybe one more

20180519_160738.jpg

20180519_161010.jpg

20180519_160916.jpg

That's a crisp looking 13 year old motor :wub:.

Did you shut the bonnet or is there a minor gap between the bonnet and front bumper/head light?

Superb condition !  I must attack my headlights before the MOT in July, I got an advisor on them last year.

Today..replaced voltage regulator on a bosch alternator and replaced dead ibs with updated version. Both died when i was helping my brother to start his car when his battery died in december. His battery was drained to about 9V. Next time if i have to jup start another car i will disconnect battery from my car and jump start from battery alone. It was a great deal on parts and labor from a friend who runs local independent shop (about 80£ for brand new regulator and ibs adapter cable and free of charge for labor and used ibs sensor from 2007 e60). I did not notice at first, but voltage regulator died and was on 11.5V all the time so i had to keep ibs disconneted or my radio ventilation seat heaters and rear defroster did not work. At first i blamed it on ibs since it is known to fail on early e60s and everything worked fine if i leave ibs disconnected, but then i noticed as soon i turn car off and keep radio on for 2-3 min low battery warning came up. Battery vas 6 moths old so i tested it and it was ok, just not charged to full capacity. If i drive every day everithing was fine, but if i leave a car for 3-4 days it would not start, i had to charge the battery first. One funny thing as well, car now shifts smoother, before regulator change it was not so smooth shift from 4th to 5th gear, not a big jerk but noticeable..now shifts are noticeably smoother. Old ibs was probably ok, but change it ayway since updated version is much better and less prone to failure.

16 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

That's a crisp looking 13 year old motor :wub:.

Did you shut the bonnet or is there a minor gap between the bonnet and front bumper/head light?

16 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

Yes well spotted!! 

It's had a slight knock on the front, just enough to move the bumper slightly. 

Ideally it needs taking off and painting as there's a few stone chips on it, although not really that bad. So if it behaves itself mechanicly this year then I'll treat it...

14 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Superb condition !  I must attack my headlights before the MOT in July, I got an advisor on them last year.

Cheers.

Meguires headlight kit is on offer now at halfords for £16. Well worth it imo and very easy to do. 

47 minutes ago, warnie said:

Cheers.

Meguires headlight kit is on offer now at halfords for £16. Well worth it imo and very easy to do. 

Do you need a drill ? I don't have one. So I have to do it by hand.

39 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Do you need a drill ? I don't have one. So I have to do it by hand.

It takes longer and you would need to go over with 3000 wet/sand to get rid of the scratches. I would follow up with two coats of clear coat which will give you that glass finish.

Gave it a 7k oil change. I fitted a magnetic sump plug at the last change, and there was a covering of schmoo on it. 

I added a bottle of Liqui Moly Hydraulic Lifter Additive and the engine got quieter and quieter as it came up to running temp. 

i'm impressed so far. 

New front passenger door central locking actuator fitted at long last!! No more having to reach over and open the door for my passengers!!

Found a guide here that i followed, looks like they have quite a few 'how to' guides for the E60, can definetly reccomend it.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/BMW-E60/79-BODY-Door_Latch_Replacement/79-BODY-Door_Latch_Replacement.htm

Edited by Modge

8 hours ago, warnie said:

Yes well spotted!! 

It's had a slight knock on the front, just enough to move the bumper slightly. 

Ideally it needs taking off and painting as there's a few stone chips on it, although not really that bad. So if it behaves itself mechanicly this year then I'll treat it...

The bonnet was not shut properly! 

Luckily I noticed it moving the motorway slip road and managed to slow right down before it could have flipped up and destroyed the roof !

Looking at the pic it looks obvious now ..

Is is slightly out of line but it's really hard to tell unless it's pointed out to you. 

39 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Raspberry Pi? Looks good!

pi3 +B (latest version)

MULF is messing with the audio(random cut outs/silence). Since I removed it and there are no problems  I was thinking to buy a raspberry as it has a Bluetooth 4.2!!!!!! built-in and Spotify premium will make great partners.  Besides youtube and some other applications, It will be used as an Android mirror link(android for raspberry) and for the torque pro just to see some extra dials B) But will see how it goes. MOT is coming up, need to do some other stuff otherwise it's an instant fail :???:

Early morning trip to the MOT station this morning to find it was the first day of the new regs. I knew they were due but hadn't realised the date. Car passed with flying colours so I must be one of the first to have the new style certificate. Not sure why the MOT is such a nervy experience, like most people on here I look after my car and never expect it to fail but still breath a sigh of relief when it passes. It was especially satisfying seeing the emmissions board light up in green.

1 hour ago, coolhand9 said:

Early morning trip to the MOT station this morning to find it was the first day of the new regs. I knew they were due but hadn't realised the date. Car passed with flying colours so I must be one of the first to have the new style certificate. Not sure why the MOT is such a nervy experience, like most people on here I look after my car and never expect it to fail but still breath a sigh of relief when it passes. It was especially satisfying seeing the emmissions board light up in green.

With my "DPF", need to find a friendly MOT man :D

14 minutes ago, 525-Jay said:

Fortunately that's one thing I don't have to worry about but the way things are going we'll all need a friendly MOT man before long. Apparently under the new regs sagging bonnet insulation is a fail!

4 minutes ago, coolhand9 said:

Fortunately that's one thing I don't have to worry about but the way things are going we'll all need a friendly MOT man before long. Apparently under the new regs sagging bonnet insulation is a fail!

Good job I used tie wraps to hold mine back up then, it's secure so shouldn't be a fail next month.

Costing me £230 in lights as I need a new brake light and have a cracked inner rear light on the 61, both would be a fail.

37 minutes ago, 525-Jay said:

I take it HID kit not allowed anymore?

1 hour ago, Vlady said:

I take it HID kit not allowed anymore?

They never have been unless it meets factory standards, self levelling, headlight wash etc.