Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

yesterday swapped out the unknown front discs and pads for bmw ones so far the braking vibration seems to have disappeared, just waiting on the rear ones to get delivered and get them swapped out aswell 

1 hour ago, Deviant said:

Potentially fixed my air con leak.  The system was completely empty and the kit told me not to attempt to charge it. I went ahead and charged it anyway until it hit the green on the gauge, and then swapped over to a can of leak sealer.

The system sucked in the leak sealer and I swapped back to the refrigerant and emptied the canister. 

I checked the pressure this morning and it's still in the green :lol:  I'm now getting colder air, but not anything approaching icy.  I'll monitor pressures over the next week and perhaps get some more refrigerant if the leak has sealed.  

Hopefully fixed mine yesterday, also had next to nothing in it, pressure tested with nitrogen, no apparent leak, so vacuumed it down added some leak sealant and correct amount of refrigerant. Very cold driving to a wedding reception in the afternoon

1 hour ago, Deviant said:

Potentially fixed my air con leak.  The system was completely empty and the kit told me not to attempt to charge it. I went ahead and charged it anyway until it hit the green on the gauge, and then swapped over to a can of leak sealer.

The system sucked in the leak sealer and I swapped back to the refrigerant and emptied the canister. 

I checked the pressure this morning and it's still in the green :lol:  I'm now getting colder air, but not anything approaching icy.  I'll monitor pressures over the next week and perhaps get some more refrigerant if the leak has sealed.  

Don't overcharge the system, maximum refrigerant is 700g.

1 hour ago, dj1233 said:

Gave the car a detail as she's done plenty of miles since the last one.

rules of the forum state that photos of said detail must be attached :D

Crawled under car to change fuel filter,now I stink of diesel !

Edited by Tomrx7
lack of grammar

1 hour ago, Tomrx7 said:

rules of the forum state that photos of said detail must be attached :D

Everything except a Clay Bar & Wax today. She shines well B)

IMG_9327.jpg

IMG_9329.jpg

Edited by dj1233

6 hours ago, jake13 said:

Don't overcharge the system, maximum refrigerant is 700g.

I won't, but the cooling isn't frosty enough. Ebay do a leak detector for £23, I might get one and have a play. Maybe have a proper recharge if all is well. 

12 hours ago, dj1233 said:

Everything except a Clay Bar & Wax today. She shines well B)

IMG_9327.jpg

IMG_9329.jpg

she certainly does, really like that colour on e61s they look stunning when polished 

17 hours ago, Deviant said:

I won't, but the cooling isn't frosty enough. Ebay do a leak detector for £23, I might get one and have a play. Maybe have a proper recharge if all is well. 

C110/110+ scanner is very good for diagnosis.  Body -> IHKA -> Datastream:

IMG_20180422_1245432_zpscrvsilob.jpg    IMG_20180422_1246111_zpsg9atkrdd.jpg    IMG_20180422_1246331_zpspdgukxvu.jpg

IMG_20180422_1247511_zpsmh54pp94.jpg     IMG_20180422_1248112_zpsbwmrowtl.jpg     IMG_20180422_1248311_zpsynmprmzw.jpg

IMG_20180422_1249021_zpssxuzvhqw.jpg     IMG_20180422_1249271_zpsy2ynpd4k.jpg     IMG_20180422_1249401_zpsytewidpm.jpg

Got the wheels refurbished, plus new center caps and gave her a quick wash. Can't get enough of the wheels now. Constatly looking at them. Absolutely in love.

Colour: dark anthracite, satin finish. Currently in the process of spray painting the wheel bolts.

IMG_20180412_152417.jpg

IMG_20180412_152426.jpg

replaced the loo roll with a vortex type, the loo roll was  thick with oil,

bmw rear discs arrived so fired them on I now have bmw discs and pads all round and braking is now spot on, the fronts were badly pitted and warped producing a very bad vibration under braking at any speeds, think they were crappy Eichers or eBay China specials 

54 minutes ago, baku911 said:

Got the wheels refurbished, plus new center caps and gave her a quick wash. Can't get enough of the wheels now. Constatly looking at them. Absolutely in love.

Colour: dark anthracite, satin finish. Currently in the process of spray painting the wheel bolts.

IMG_20180412_152417.jpg

IMG_20180412_152426.jpg

They look awesome, I would be well chuffed with those aswell 

Purchased a set of MV2s from ebay to be winter wheels as they were very reasonably priced. :lol:

Checked out my air con with the code reader and everything seems to be working as it should B)

On 21/04/2018 at 8:12 PM, Deviant said:

I added some UV PAG oil to my system hopefully any leaks will show up under a UV light

21 minutes ago, Blobby said:

I added some UV PAG oil to my system hopefully any leaks will show up under a UV light

I haven't got the equipment to add that, I used a halfrauds style kit. The leak sealer hopefully did it's job, if not I'll get the sniffer

and get it professionally looked at. 

While i was vacuuming the system down i have an old air con manifold hose with the end cut off and dipped that in oil bottle

sniffers are a bit hit and miss i find if the leak is small. 

The last difficult to find leak i looked at was on a building air con unit and had to use a nitrogen/hydrogen mix 95/5 % and a hydrogen sniffer.

The leak sealer was added by vacuum, I guess I could pour some UV dye into the leak sealer canister and repeat the process. 

Whilst I had the code scanner hooked up, and the system flat out on cold, the compressor refrigerating capacity was at 54% 

I thought it would be working harder than that, perhaps the outside temp wasn't high enough. 

Spent about half an hour trying to find the source of a rotten sour milk smell that seems to have appeared since my car was in getting its torque converter rebuild.  Seems to be under the passenger seat, think someone in the garage has spilled a coffee or something in it, not best pleased!!

Aircon regassed today, 500g out 700 back in.

Nice one man band outfit in Derby, drive to his house and it's £30 + £3 per 100g of R134 needed, cost me £35 :D

15 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

Aircon regassed today, 500g out 700 back in.

Nice one man band outfit in Derby, drive to his house and it's £30 + £3 per 100g of R134 needed, cost me £35 :D

Wow someone who does it properly.. That's rare

2 hours ago, Blobby said:

Wow someone who does it properly.. That's rare

Well I don't like the nationals who plug in and forget about it as we know you can't leak test under vacuum, I do have a local guy but he vented what was left into the air even though it still had 30psi left in it with a tiny condenser hole so I decided best not to pay him again!

Support your local independants all the time if you can :)