Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

Yesterday, I took my Spider alloys in for a refurb. Full acid bath strip and repair to the slight buckle each wheel has. They'll come back in Ferric Grey. B)

Fitted rear brake pads and I finally managed to code out an SOS error warning after I installed an aftermarket MP3 player and broke the MOST circuit. 

More coding today. :)

Edited by Deviant

New wiper relay fitted today, probably one of the easiest jobs on the LCI as it's located under the microfilter housing in the electrical box.

Reason was the wipers didn't always park where they should, they would often go past an inch or two. Another little niggle sorted.

I had already opened the old relay and you could see it had burnt away the contact plates so it was replacement only.

Edited by GoNz0

19 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

I think finding the right guide helps, it did my head in until I read this one then I got my head around it.

You must have someone closer to Gloucester than me, used to be a 90 mile trip to go to the office there for my bloody van service when I worked for a company in Tewkesbury  :|

NCS TUTORIAL.pdf

I might try.  Hmm.  As for someone closer, I haven't found anyone so far.   Derby isn't too far! :wink:

23 minutes ago, DaveR said:

I might try.  Hmm.  As for someone closer, I haven't found anyone so far.   Derby isn't too far! :wink:

It would be too far if I broke your car and you had to get home :unsure:

On 22/12/2017 at 9:13 PM, Mashed Potatoes said:

Fitted 20mm spacers to the rear, 15 mm to the front, and then took the 15mm front off again when I discovered the hub on the side where it's been crashed isn't the same size as the one on the other side - so the spacer doesn't come close to fitting. New hub required!

How does the hub differ. If it's always been wrong doesn't that mean before the spacers it was wonky

Edited by Blobby

I looked at it while I clambered into my Amarok, thinking that I really should get the slow puncture mended. I also thought that the standing water, gentler ride (if a little wafty) and ability to survive potholes made the Amarok a far better choice to drive. 

3 hours ago, Grizzle_E60 said:

Scanned it before an oil change and discovered all 6 plugs are faulty.... surely not!!.... Glow plug relay on the way. 

Had the same on mine and found 3 faulty plugs as soon as I changed it. Not the end of the world as the engine has to be up to temp to do the plugs or you will snap them!

Todays work, front wheel off and fitted a new horn as one of them was dead and sounded like a bike horn!

Also fitted a pair of Osram chrome lamps to the side indicators as the orange bulb behind a clear lens was annoying me!

14 hours ago, Grizzle_E60 said:

Scanned it before an oil change and discovered all 6 plugs are faulty.... surely not!!.... Glow plug relay on the way. 

During last service I had the same issue, all 6 plugs read faults, so I changed the relay and all is fixed, thankfully all the plugs were fine. Now during colder mornings the car starts very smooth! Glad I did it!

Over the Christmas period the battery decided to give up so purchased a new one from Halfords for a hefty £165! the good thing is the old girl fired up and got me home but there are some underlying issues that need to be addressed which are the battery need to be registered so just purchase an OBD2 to USB cable and NCS Software to do this. What should I be aware of???

3 minutes ago, Superpilot said:

Just ordered brand new headlamps for my 2008 LCI (it's all about the eyes), a respray next month. These Bitcoin millions are running out fast...

Cheaper buying a new car

Bought the new lower front control arm today, and adding up the other jobs that need to be done; headlamp washers - get those working, reversing sensor plug that's getting water ingress - try and clean/coat this to prevent it anymore

Indy today.new oil..filter..diesel filter..injector clean . Air filter..engine flush the lot. 4000 miles since last service and 3000 before that. And so on in my ownership. Ya reckon i can pull 20 k as its enthusiast owned lol. On a serious note following my wife back my 5 stands out somehow it looks looked after.

Todays work cost nothing as I had a stash of leather cleaner and leather care balm and decided it is time to start cleaning the interior. pulled the back seat base out and found an old £1 coin, some sand, a few sweet wrappers and evidence of one of the previous owners kids spilling a drink.. all cleaned up great.

Now suffering from a very bruised middle finger as I am a 7 weeks post op for trigger finger release and do not know how to take it easy (admittedly handballing a ton of pea gravel yesterday didn't help matters)

I did find out why the mirror surround doesn't clip together, a complete butcher of a windscreen fitter used a fucking screwdriver to split it and broke a clip. Also found the lane camera loose so it sat lower, explains why it doesn't vibrate the wheel until you are on the line, camera out, clips pushed in and camera replaced, no more free play but I hadn't been for a drive to test how close to the line I need to be before it vibrates.

20180104_155543.jpg

20180104_155646.jpg

Edited by GoNz0
I can't spell

Done the Cluster Temp stat test drive and not good which will explain why I can't get the car to regen and it's flashing much more now. Few ideas to check out from some other recent threads to do....temp maxed at 70....then moved between 65-68..

On 12/23/2017 at 5:05 PM, Blobby said:

How does the hub differ. If it's always been wrong doesn't that mean before the spacers it was wonky

You'll love this. :lol:

I finally got round to trying to sort it last night. Now bear in mind this was cracking on for 10pm before I got chance to start! Put the new hub on, no problem. The spacer sat on it perfectly. Great, I'll put the wheel on then home. But wait.... The wheel just flops around on the spacer, it doesn't sit properly. What gives? Well after 20 minutes of head scratching we realized that when it was bent in the past and repaired (by a moron) before I got it, they had fitted the wrong sized hub, and instead of repairing it properly and sourcing a proper one for the car (they're not even that expensive), they have used a die grinder to open up the centre bore of the sodding wheel! So I now have a 74 and a bit mm hole that isn't quite round, instead of a 72.6mm (iirc) in my drivers front wheel. We really thought we were losing the plot!

The wheel is going to the machine shop next door to have the hole made round and enlarged slightly, and a custom spigot ring made up so the wheel will then sit properly on the hub/spacer. :rolleyes:

27 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

You'll love this. :lol:

I finally got round to trying to sort it last night. Now bear in mind this was cracking on for 10pm before I got chance to start! Put the new hub on, no problem. The spacer sat on it perfectly. Great, I'll put the wheel on then home. But wait.... The wheel just flops around on the spacer, it doesn't sit properly. What gives? Well after 20 minutes of head scratching we realized that when it was bent in the past and repaired (by a moron) before I got it, they had fitted the wrong sized hub, and instead of repairing it properly and sourcing a proper one for the car (they're not even that expensive), they have used a die grinder to open up the centre bore of the sodding wheel! So I now have a 74 and a bit mm hole that isn't quite round, instead of a 72.6mm (iirc) in my drivers front wheel. We really thought we were losing the plot!

The wheel is going to the machine shop next door to have the hole made round and enlarged slightly, and a custom spigot ring made up so the wheel will then sit properly on the hub/spacer. :rolleyes:

WTF.............!!!!!!!! That's just nutz.

New offside front, rear lower control arm fitted. Thankfully was a pretty painless job. Rear reversing sensor cleaned as well - was malfunctioning in the wet, hoping the clean with contact cleaner and water dispersement does the trick. 

Connected up the laptop and fired up NCS expert to look into coding my cruise control.  Turns out I don't have the option of selecting the $540 option for cruise control!  Very odd....