Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

I'm assuming it was fitted correctly as it was done at a reputable local garage that I always go to. Will get it checked again tomorrow by a different alignment place. Should I be expecting better handling etc by getting it fine tuned further or are all the angle being in the green zone good enough?

24 minutes ago, JHR-5 said:

I'm assuming it was fitted correctly as it was done at a reputable local garage that I always go to. Will get it checked again tomorrow by a different alignment place. Should I be expecting better handling etc by getting it fine tuned further or are all the angle being in the green zone good enough?

The readout supplied is from the Hunter 4 wheel alignment machine, same type Kwik Fit uses. 

For some reason it's not compatible with the front top left measurement of the E60/1.

I have the same read out from my recent alignment, front camber displaying red, all others green and queried it at the time. 

Edited by Medved77

I’ve had the readout checked by 2 other alignment places today and they’ve both said it’s fine. Replaced the rears with Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 3 like them better so far will probably be replacing fronts with same next week.

22 minutes ago, JHR-5 said:

I’ve had the readout checked by 2 other alignment places today and they’ve both said it’s fine. Replaced the rears with Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 3 like them better so far will probably be replacing fronts with same next week.

i just took delivery of a front pair of these for spider alloys. I'll let you know what there like once on 

Got my E61 last night, stunk of damp dog all the way home (2 hour drive) not a dog hair in sight so I took the microfilters out today and found a composter where the drains should be.

This is the start of a lot of things to put right including the boot wiring repair I started to take apart. I couldn't open the glass with the button and have no key fob remote, after using ISTA to pop the glass open I managed to spot a broken wire.

At least the microfilter carrier is easily removed so that all came off and had a wash, drains checked and all put back. It will need new microfilters but I will probably get that done at the value service it will have once I have done the swirl flaps (to fix an oil leak) stats and glow plug relay.

Yes I knew it had faults :)

After that lot the diff has to come off as it leaking from the input and one drive shaft.

20171124_092256.jpg

Edited by GoNz0

On 23/11/2017 at 1:19 PM, JHR-5 said:

Any recommendations on new tyres? Currently have Michelin Pilot Super Sport that are due for replacement and the ride on those are too harsh for me.

C80B76BF-934B-468E-8A38-164DA46E8A82.jpeg

74D1AD04-4B14-440B-A027-A353D82B9E3C.jpeg

Nice, as for tires Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is what you want. I've ran them for a few months now, and I have no words... Insane grip both in wet and dry and wear seems to be good so far.

I don't think they do Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in 18" yet. Since I've already replaced rears with Eagle F1's i'll go with them all round this time, they seem to handle rough road surface and potholes better than Michelin Super Sport.

10 hours ago, JHR-5 said:

I don't think they do Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in 18" yet. Since I've already replaced rears with Eagle F1's i'll go with them all round this time, they seem to handle rough road surface and potholes better than Michelin Super Sport.

how much did the rear set of good years set you back? are they on 19's?

5 minutes ago, j2112 said:

Fitted the replacement boot spring/damper - that should stop it being so violent B)

Where did you buy it from mate and how do you know which side has failed? 

The bootlid on my car opens so fast its like its gonna fly away :blink:

I took the covers off the inside of the bootlid to try and open the glass tailgate, so I can get the spoiler off, to have a go at repairing the broken wires and washer hose.

I got the covers off, but failed at everything else. So far. 

33 minutes ago, DaveR said:

I took the covers off the inside of the bootlid to try and open the glass tailgate, so I can get the spoiler off, to have a go at repairing the broken wires and washer hose.

I got the covers off, but failed at everything else. So far. 

I fired the solenoid via ISTA+ as the signal to open it is on one of the other looms as I had the same issue. Lucky escape for me, you may be able to do the same if that harness is ok.

13 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

I fired the solenoid via ISTA+ as the signal to open it is on one of the other looms as I had the same issue. Lucky escape for me, you may be able to do the same if that harness is ok.

ISTA+?

I've just bought a cable off Jimmy, but have no idea how to use it yet!  And I don't have ISTA+.

3 hours ago, DaveR said:

ISTA+?

I've just bought a cable off Jimmy, but have no idea how to use it yet!  And I don't have ISTA+.

Sending you a PM with links to ISTA+

I can't offer any help with installing or using at the mo as I am out of action after a hand op, it is bad enough typing with my left hand as it is :(

The copy and paste of the info I got from another forum should be enough, and yes it will work with the Jimmy cable.

Edited by GoNz0

spent lots of time shouting at it and scratching my head why my o/s side light (halo) wont work and why my corning lights wont work.... also trying to find out why the sos feature isnt working 

i have theses 3 things pop up all the time atm

i also have a abs fault but only sine i changed the rear brake pads and put some 17's on the rear why i have my 19 inch wheel repaired

7 hours ago, mike. said:

how much did the rear set of good years set you back? are they on 19's?

18"'s £250 for 2 from KwikFit after a little discount when I showed them the price on another site. Needed the rear urgently so went with it, fronts are being replaced tomorrow for £118 each.

Edited by JHR-5

Replaced the driver side but on the passenger side they couldn’t get one of the bolts off. It’s spinning on the spot won’t come out :(

On 26/11/2017 at 1:56 PM, Mo_1986 said:

Where did you buy it from mate and how do you know which side has failed? 

The bootlid on my car opens so fast its like its gonna fly away :blink:

I know!! I bought it second hand from a breaker to try it first. It’s the one above the battery, which has the damper/shock in it. Made a great difference B)

Yesterday 3 looms were successfully repaired giving back full use of the remotes and all electrical gremlins in the boot are gone. 

Fitted new front shocks today, annoyingly only a few weeks after fitting new top mounts and lowering springs, the car was snatching to the left and felt like I was running nine on rubber band tyres, nice and smooth now and stays in a straight line,turns out the passenger side shock was totally gone, pushed the strut into the body of the shock and it just stayed in, no compression left on it at all,  every part on the front suspension has been replaced with new parts, drives like new now

I decided to have a look at the self leveling compressor today to check the pipes were ok, I must have removed 2kg of gravel and crap from the cover as it is located behind the rear wheel!

That has to be worth 0.1mpg 

Finally collected it from the dealership yesterday!

This morning had an early start and fitted the Parrot mki9000 kit that I removed from my previous car before I sold it. The wiring was surprisingly straightforward, thanks to a pre-assembled kit from justcarkits.co.uk, including steering wheel control. Plugged in and working within a few minutes. 

Removing the various bits of dashboard trim etc took longer than I expected... the car is very solid and well built compared to my last few cars :) Nice to see more things held together with screws rather than flimsy plastic clips...

All done and put back together within a couple of hours, and working well.