Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

4,591 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Mo_1986 said:

Copied from another site:

Perform at least 20 brake applications using medium deceleration (approximately 60% of maximum) starting from 60mph and slowing to 20mph. Do not come to a stop. Accelerate back to the starting speed allowing 20-30 seconds before beginning the next brake application. After completion, drive the vehicle for at least 5 minutes with little or no braking in order to adequately cool the components.

When it can be done legally, or on a closed circuit, a secondary bedding operation is beneficial. 
Repeat the above procedure for 5 to 10 brake applications increasing the starting speed to 80mph and increasing the deceleration rate to 80% of maximum. After completion, drive the vehicle for at least 10 minutes with little or no braking in order to adequately cool the components. The system is now ready for normal use.

Lol..some people. Ocd.

9 hours ago, JHR-5 said:

Replaced front upper and lower control arms, front and rear drop links with Meyle HD

IMG_7096.JPG

IMG_6921.jpg

Hi! Is there a noticeable difference now in riding i.e softer, more compliant, quieter?  

13 hours ago, Vlady said:
Hi! Is there a noticeable difference now in riding i.e softer, more compliant, quieter?  

It handles speed bumps and potholes much better now. Can't really compare to original ones as they were more or less completely gone when I bought the car. Nearly 4 years and 50k miles ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by JHR-5
Typo
Vlady and j2112 like this

Pulled the spare wheel (that it doesn't have) crap out from under the boot carpet, did some measuring, decided it would PROBABLY fit so ordered a 2.25 gallon sumped methanol tank to go in there for it :D

8 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Pulled the spare wheel (that it doesn't have) crap out from under the boot carpet, did some measuring, decided it would PROBABLY fit so ordered a 2.25 gallon sumped methanol tank to go in there for it :D

HI, might be a stupid question but what is that for, methanol tank? You are not talking about LPG as you drive diesel, right? Confused.

3 hours ago, Vlady said:

HI, might be a stupid question but what is that for, methanol tank? You are not talking about LPG as you drive diesel, right? Confused.

Methanol injection has many advantages to an engine, be it tuned or not. It effectively steam cleans the engine and it also lowers the inlet temperatures which is mainly what I'm after. It's going to get tuned higher than it is now in future. I can't lower the melting point of the pistons, so the next best thing is to lower the temperatures in the cylinders when more fuel is added to keep it safe. The addition of methanol just gives it some extra bang whilst it's in there and because such a small quantity is injected depending on boost level, it can actually increase MPG too. You can run 100% methanol but mixing 50/50 with water is safer. More than 50% methanol the mix is flammable. More water than methanol means it won't ignite anywhere near as easily. The same ingredient is in low temperature screenwash from memory.

Edited by Mashed Potatoes
Blobby and Vlady like this

Seems a bit overkill to me? Are the pads really that hard you need to smash heat in to them so many times to bed in. 

We used to use a similar routine to bed truck brake pads in, it's to cook off the resin in the pad. Makes a huge difference to the squish of the pad, and hence braking power, particularly in mechanically driven pads in an air disc brake.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Today I mostly did rear passengers door card off (the heads of the two screws span so made that bit difficult..) and then re-fixed vapour barrier to the door. Re-glued part of door panel to itself, the bit near the top, and started a repair to the fixings for the window switch panel to door panel. 0dc975a1a5b50d0e598ba3e159c9a40e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Had a major service carried out which all went well. 

Drove home and a rear coil spring snapped. Even after treating the car, it still treats me like shit. Oh well, another thing to add to the list 

mike. and avinalaugh like this