Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

Oh, and having changed the fuel filter the other day I fired up INPA to clear the error. Thought I'd have a play with DIS as well, but could I get it to connect? Could I ***te!!!!

Today, after much very rapid learning, replaced NSF hub, disc and pads in the hope of curing vicious front end vibration on light braking. I was thinking original hubs probably worn plus most likely at least one warped disc.

Eventually got the old hub off - no obvious rattle although felt 'dry' compared to a new hub only to find a distinct rattle in the strut top bearing. Pair of new bearings obtained from ECP... first one fits perfectly and feels great. Warning.... if you're going to remove a strut top bearing, be sure to have spring compressors first ! Busy afternoon of shopping for me.

With luck, tomorrow will allow me to get the OSF setup done... that should sort the braking vibration. Once that's all done I plan on replacing the rear discs, pads, sensor and handbrake kit complete. If I'm ungreasy enough I may even take a piccy or three.

Well got the OSF hub, disc, pads and strut top bearing replaced. Having learned from yesterday, I had it done in about 3 hours.

Rear discs and pads were easy and replaced the handbrake shoes, springs and pins into the bargain.

Front end vibration gone... 100% now it was the strut top bearings.

Tomorrow I think I'll try to get power to the I Drive fan... May stop the nav overheating.

Just had my DPF removed and a gutted replacement re-fitted, been messed about by a mechanic for nearly 3 weeks to have this swapped in the end went with a new guy only cost me £70 in labour, not bad considering he hadn't done this before and learned the hard way that he had to raise the engine up to aid removal and refitting.

Sent my map off to have the DPF deleted yesterday 1 hour turn around service, all is well so far no smoke on hard acceleration, no error message on the dash, feels like it rev's more freely. 

Next up is to have the transmission oil changed.

Drove back to the South East from Hereford yesterday, had the air con on auto and getting near the M25 found the cabin getting warmer and a distinct lack of air flow. Luckily my first instinct was correct, the evaporator had frozen up from the low fan speed in auto.. 

5 minutes with the AC off but fan up high had enough cool air coming in from the ice and of course it melted the ice too.

Normal service was resumed, but i'm guessing my cabin filters could need attention.

Anyone else experienced this?

On 16/07/2017 at 3:37 PM, Misterbish said:

Just had my DPF removed and a gutted replacement re-fitted, been messed about by a mechanic for nearly 3 weeks to have this swapped in the end went with a new guy only cost me £70 in labour, not bad considering he hadn't done this before and learned the hard way that he had to raise the engine up to aid removal and refitting.

Sent my map off to have the DPF deleted yesterday 1 hour turn around service, all is well so far no smoke on hard acceleration, no error message on the dash, feels like it rev's more freely. 

Next up is to have the transmission oil changed.

how's the power increase like? big difference?

HI Mike

Hard to say it does seems to want to rev more freely and the exhaust note now has a nice rasp to it sounds more like a petrol than a diesel when you rev it, all in all a good investment £50 for the gutted DPF and £70 to fit, no more nagging error messages anymore and no more worrying about meeting the right conditions for it to regen.  

On 17 July 2017 at 9:12 PM, Misterbish said:

HI Mike

Hard to say it does seems to want to rev more freely and the exhaust note now has a nice rasp to it sounds more like a petrol than a diesel when you rev it, all in all a good investment £50 for the gutted DPF and £70 to fit, no more nagging error messages anymore and no more worrying about meeting the right conditions for it to regen.  

That sounds very cheap? Did you get it mapped also?

Well yesterday I had the ccc out again and after much testing verified the fan was good, but no live feed or continuous earth through its plug/cabling.

So now spliced the live and earth wires into the power socket live and earth's for the ashtray unit just below it. I left the centre wire (dirty white) connected as built.

Fan operates beautifully with ignition switching. Radio, nav so far working fine.

Off back to Germany tonight so nice long test to see what effect there is now the ccc has cooling again.

Fingers crossed (and backup satnav plugged in).

Repalced front shocks / springs / Top mounts  and wheel bearings. I had them already pre-assembled so just straight swap out. The PITA was the wheel bearing, crappy air gun did't have the torque and spent 3/4 hour removing four bolts with a breaker bar. On the E60/E61 one of the four bolts is covered by the strut arm so it has to be raised and to allow leverage.  I still haven't started on the rear yet :(. Nevertheless, happy with the M-sport shocks which transformed the ride.

My sodding Sat Nav when going to Hereford, had a fight with itself.. It came up with a congestion warning and therefore an alternative route, so i selected that, then it warned me about congestion on that route and went back to the old route, where you guessed it, it tried to send me back on the other route.. I gave up in the end and opened up google maps put in my postcode where it sent me down some of narrowest country lanes, but it did miss out all the traffic even if i did get friendly with a lot of horse riders

10 minutes ago, Blobby said:

My sodding Sat Nav when going to Hereford, had a fight with itself.. It came up with a congestion warning and therefore an alternative route, so i selected that, then it warned me about congestion on that route and went back to the old route, where you guessed it, it tried to send me back on the other route.. I gave up in the end and opened up google maps put in my postcode where it sent me down some of narrowest country lanes, but it did miss out all the traffic even if i did get friendly with a lot of horse riders

have to admit Google maps has never let me down, and in my android phone the voice input so accurate compared to any other voice input systems I've ever used 

4 hours ago, Daz Beemer said:

Going to have a loo at a 65plate 435d grand coupe msport. Any thoughts guys?

If you had said a 640d grand coupe then yes otherwise.... no 

On 21/07/2017 at 6:13 AM, Daz Beemer said:

I like the 4 series.. Enjoy and buy me one if you have enough change..

Yes the GRAN (no D) bit of a weird name?!? Did the Matrix jump again?? Another glitch as I'm sure it was a Grand Coupe?!?!

e92a8d970aeb31cd727a5736c9d7f01e.png

I'm currently looking at 335d tourings so I understand the attraction in that platform. We have an F11 535d so don't need another big car. Let me know how you get on!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The first MOT was done today with DPF gut and EGR mapped out and it passed with no problems. Also, have the sheet with the exhaust gas reading does this seem low or high anyone?

test.png