Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

4,275 posts in this topic

Tried to polish out the nice long mark where some mouth breathing oxygen thief has keyed all down one side of it. It's mostly gone but there's a deep bit at the back that has gone down to the primer.

Not impressed.

:evil:

However I've just bought myself the last bits required for sports gearbox upgrade apart from the wheel to make me feel better.

(May have had a little map tweak too, see how the box takes 850Nm torque limiters)

Edited by Mashed Potatoes

Today I spent a good few hours with my car on a ramp swearing at it.

Yesterday after work I started it up and smoke bellowed out from under the bonnet all of the warning lights came on and it stank of burning rubber.

I thought a belt had snapped which would have been a fairly easy job.

Unfortunately it would appear that the crank pulley had shit itself and the outer was no longer attached to the inner.

I borrowed my boss' track car so I could get home.  (mines the one with the wing)

I managed to get the knackered pulley off using a little 3/8 ratchet which really surprised me.

While I had the workshop to myself and the car on a ramp I decided to check if my swirl flaps had been removed.

the inlet manifold was completely full of coke and carbon so I've blasted it with brake cleaner and chucked it in the ultrasonic bath overnight.

And while I was on eBay buying the swirl flap blanks I bought all the other items on my watch list. 

A decat to make the exhaust completely straight through with no silencers.

An egr delete kit as I had it mapped out but never removed and some new rear tyres.

I'm now pretty much on my rather large overdraft limit. 

20170513_171007.jpg

20170513_181623.jpg

20170512_190816.jpg

20170513_211424.jpg

Changed the oil and filter. 8 litres of Petronas septum whatever it's called

On Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 3:16 PM, Mashed Potatoes said:

Tried to polish out the nice long mark where some mouth breathing oxygen thief has keyed all down one side of it. It's mostly gone but there's a deep bit at the back that has gone down to the primer.

Not impressed.

:evil:

However I've just bought myself the last bits required for sports gearbox upgrade apart from the wheel to make me feel better.

(May have had a little map tweak too, see how the box takes 850Nm torque limiters)

Mother fackers.

No need.

New inner and outer steering tie rod fitted on near side today. Play in the inner joint causing a judder. Will do the other side when I have time. 

Also renewed the panoramic sunroof seal. Vast improvement in noise now

25 minutes ago, ningham said:

New inner and outer steering tie rod fitted on near side today. Play in the inner joint causing a judder. Will do the other side when I have time. 

Also renewed the panoramic sunroof seal. Vast improvement in noise now

I need to do the inner tie rods, getting a slight knock over bumps but not everytime. I have read about the seal, easier with the roof closed or open?

On 2017-5-13 at 3:16 PM, Mashed Potatoes said:

Test a success so far. No slip and flashes the traction control light when booted at... motorway cruising speed.

10 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Test a success so far. No slip and flashes the traction control light when booted at... motorway cruising speed.

Hey you mad man (Only jealous) does the torque converter stay locked up or does it revert back to slop mode when you floor it... 

Mashed Potatoes likes this

1 hour ago, Blobby said:

Hey you mad man (Only jealous) does the torque converter stay locked up or does it revert back to slop mode when you floor it... 

It stays locked up after 2nd gear dude.

Blobby likes this

Filled it up again after the map testing. Which has resulted in it doing 16MPG since Saturday when I brimmed it. These gearboxes will take a right beating :lol:

Ordered gearbox oil engine oil and filter kit for it too. Not brave enough to doing the gearbox one on the drive though - getting a garage to do that!

Blobby likes this

45 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Filled it up again after the map testing. Which has resulted in it doing 16MPG since Saturday when I brimmed it. These gearboxes will take a right beating :lol:

Ordered gearbox oil engine oil and filter kit for it too. Not brave enough to doing the gearbox one on the drive though - getting a garage to do that!

16 mpg :o lol 

Jesus christ!

I spy wheel spacers. What size did you go with?

Good eye! 15mm Bimmec for the rear for the spiders when they arrive next week. Got extended wheel nuts and locking bolts too to go with them. Will try that out and see if the fronts will need spacing out, but i doubt it.

I would of gone for 20mm if i wasn't planning on lowering it on H&Rs later on.

Mashed Potatoes likes this

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:56 PM, iiNNeX said:

Bought a thing or two...lol

You about to have some fun!

How did you get on with the lights btw?

55 minutes ago, 525-Joe said:

You about to have some fun!

How did you get on with the lights btw?

Tell me about it...

Well I gave up on those, going to wait till I get it on the ramp and remove the bumper so I can actually see the clips that hold the headlamp in place after the screws are all removed. I didn't want to snap any when I was doing it in my garage that night...

I really want to see how they look tbh so I can see if they match my xenon bulbs, if not order a set of those too before taking out the entire headlamp preferably... 

Going to order LED fogs, side repeaters and reverse lights too later today :)

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 9:14 PM, marko530d said:

http://20170516_211012.jpg

Cleaned her up Sunday 

Do that nice car a favour and lose the chav stripes.

Broke it :( new prop shaft doughnut required! Serves me right for driving it like a tit for the past week or so and skimping on a cheaper one when the turbos went on. Nice clunk when taking up drive and coming off the throttle. Can see where it's all stretched around the bolts.

32 minutes ago, Chu said:

Do that nice car a favour and lose the chav stripes.

Was good idea at the time but going off them now but at 17.99 delivered easy replaced :huh: